Archinect
anchor

Architect Practicing as Landscape Architect?

farwest1

I have the opportunity to do a medium-sized landscape architecture project, but I don't have a landscape architecture license.

What are the rules governing a licensed architect practicing landscape architecture? The two professions are so intertwined, and it seems like good architecture practice should use the principles of landscape remediation and so on.

Is it possible to sit for the LARE without having gone to school for landscape architecture, only for an M. Arch? (I took studios that dealt heavily with landscape.....)

Oct 12, 10 10:00 am
Beepbeep

On the CLARB website it lits that one may take the LARE with an NAAB degree and one year exp under a landscape architect.

Oct 12, 10 10:23 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

On the CLARB website it lits that one may take the LARE with an NAAB degree and one year exp under a landscape architect.

Oct 12, 10 10:24 am  · 
 · 

Farwest, your post suggest that you would be the lead on the project - is that correct? if so, check with your state board. Most allow licensed architects to stamp landscape plans - but also check with your liability insurance before signing any contracts.

There are structures and planning pieces in the landscape that architectural/engineering acumen can serve you well on. There are also systems (stormwater, soils, planting, microclimates, ecosystems services, irrigation, mitigation) that are outside the typical practice/education of architecture.

Also, define medium. 1-acre to 100-acres could easily be a medium landscape project...

good luck and have fun!

Oct 12, 10 11:04 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

all you need to know is one word: bioswales.

I try to work it into regular conversation so people think I'm an LA.

Oct 12, 10 11:19 am  · 
 · 
farwest1

Thanks barry and shimishaw. I guess what I'm wondering more specifically is this:

I practice as an architect in Texas, but I would also like to be more involved in landscape architecture (read: I'm interested in landscape urbanism issues and would like to actively seek landscape projects.)

I don't want to work under a landscape architect to gain that experience since I now have my own practice, nor do I have the time or inclination to go back to school.

Are there options for me to become licensed as a landscape architect just by studying on my own and taking the exam? Or is the only option to stamp drawings as an architect rather than landscape architect?

Oct 12, 10 11:26 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

Hire an LA for your firm you will get some insight in the feild and get your exp to take the test. (PS I am not sure though I only have a BS in ID/construction man.) I was planning on going for my M.arch in 2011 but may do an MLA since everyone in architecture seems to hate their life and i can not find a job anyway. But i have done a good amount of research into this field and bioremediation is way cool!!

Oct 12, 10 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

Hire an LA for your firm you will get some insight in the feild and get your exp to take the test. (PS I am not sure though I only have a BS in ID/construction man.) I was planning on going for my M.arch in 2011 but may do an MLA since everyone in architecture seems to hate their life and i can not find a job anyway. But i have done a good amount of research into this field and bioremediation is way cool!!

Oct 12, 10 12:07 pm  · 
 · 

Farwest1,

It all comes back to state regulations. Check with the texas board about practice restrictions in landscape/planning/urban design as an architect. You can always hire consultants/staff for the stuff you don't know. You might not be able to get a LA license without submitting for a year under an LA or going back to school - but that doesn't limit you from hiring LAs or partnering with one or chasing projects.

Oct 12, 10 1:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: