Archinect
anchor

laser burn!

bjd80

Hi

I am a new grad student in an MArch program and am relatively new to CAD and laser cutting. I am working with 2-ply museum board for a model. The pieces that I have laser-cut look fine on the top, but they have smoke residue on the back (where the laser passed through) that can't be erased. any advice for avoiding the burn marks? changing material or spray painting the pieces would be a last resort..

Thanks!

Oct 6, 10 3:29 pm
Bruce Prescott

A shop that did laser cutting for me put a removable film on the back of the boards before cutting - I think it was the paper frisket masking film usually used to make masks for airbrushing, as it has a good, removable adhesive.

Oct 6, 10 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

i had a friend who would use moist paper towels below the chipboard.

but lol@makingmodelsbyhand anyways.

Oct 6, 10 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
binary

try graphic masking tape (wide opaque sheets, minor stickiness).... or you can dust spray the parts with white after the fact.... also have your laser tech tweak the speed/power settings.... i can cut museum board with barely any burn.... also does the laser bed have a honeycomb table or is it a flat solid table....also try to elevate the parts off the bed if possible

Oct 6, 10 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Instead of making the laser cut the first time, try increasing the speed and making 2 or three runs at lower power. That will go faster and not cut through right away, but going through few times will make nice cuts!

Oct 6, 10 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: