Archinect
anchor

Referral Sources

missingLegos

Where does most of your work come from? (family, past clients, contractors, realtors, etc, etc etc)

I thought it would be beneficial for everyone to see any trends of referral sources for architects beyond what they may expect.

Sep 29, 10 10:52 am
quizzical

current and prior clients

Sep 29, 10 10:57 am  · 
 · 
poop876

repeat clients and developers! Did one project for a relative and if more work comes my way from any relative I WILL reject all of them!

Sep 29, 10 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
missingLegos

I agree on your working for relatives stance. But as far as referrals go, if they can be a source of leads for projects, then they are helping you get work and not being your clients at the same time!

Sep 29, 10 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
gibbost

I have found that my connections and associations outside of the building world have produced the most leads. City organizations, bowling league, little league coaching, church group, etc. (Not to say, I do all those things--but I'm giving you examples). I'm a big fan of doing volunteer stuff [semi-related to architecture] stuff like Habitat--those sorts of connections have been golden.

Try buddying up to a couple of builders and developers--they're always good to know.

I would agree with other posts, working for family is not advised--their friends on the other hand . . .

Sep 29, 10 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

You never know where you will get a referral. I actually got a referral (and ultimately a project) from the guy that sold me a car about 10 years or so ago.

But, for us past and current clients would be first, then contractors, then friends of friends (especially via parents at my kids school), then pretty much everyone else. And it is funny, but I can almost predict the quality of the client and the likelihood that we will get the project just from the referral. If it is from a great past client, I am almost guaranteed the project. From some more random source, then much lower probability.

Sep 30, 10 6:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: