Archinect
anchor

Is the negative a positive?

headyshreddy

"Is is for the sake of a remote, indeterminate goal, which they themselves donot fully apprehend, that men become heroes and that the inspired minority triumphs over the inert masses."
- Attributed to Napoleon by Joseph Bonaparte

So often do I read such disastrous and unfortunate situations for the qualified people of our industry that I begin to question whether or not we are going about the process to succeed in the correct manner. Is it completely impossible to change/manipulate the industry, or do we all trust that it will "fix itself?"

Sep 25, 10 1:07 am
jmanganelli

and what do you think?

Sep 25, 10 1:19 am  · 
 · 
headyshreddy

I don't think...probably why i'm unemployed.

Sep 25, 10 1:22 am  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08

You should work in retail, they pay not to think.

But more on topic, I don't know what country you live in, but here in America lots of people succeed by who they know, how much money their family has, what they look like, how cocky or arrogant (ie confident) they are, etc.

Now some of those things may not have much to do with the architecture profession, and some of those things you're either born with or you aren't, but this is what modern day American culture looks at as needed in the "picture of success".

I feel that when it comes down to it, people will choose an individual that broadcasts high superficial success and average talent over someone that has average superficial success and high talent.

ie, someone will interview a friend's son or daughter if they show an average ability level thinking they can be trained to be better, while completely overlooking a stranger without ever really digging into how talented they are.

Sep 25, 10 1:51 am  · 
 · 
some person

Milwaukee08, I feel that you and I were dealt very similar hands in the late 90's, but our careers to date have turned out very differently. I disagree with your stereotype of people with connections and family wealth, or rather that they are the only people who can succeed in life.

In architecture, one needs to create his/her own opportunities, be driven, and work hard to achieve goals. Opportunities aren't just going to fall out of the sky.

Now, to the original poster's question, changes are likely to occur in the way we do business, but I think they might not be driven by mainstream architects. But to my point above, perhaps an industry shift will require all of us to collectively create our own opportunities for this profession. hrm...

Sep 25, 10 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

A negative is only a positive if it is subtracted by another negative of greater value!!!

Sep 25, 10 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
headyshreddy

Final answer...

C. Revolution

Sep 25, 10 7:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: