Archinect
anchor

Plastic / Polycarbonate Paneling Products?

CheesesChrist

Hello,

I'm looking for a cheap (under $10/sq foot) semi-translucent panel system for a small interior office project. Some sort of plastic or polycarbonate is most likely to work, but I can't find too many options.

Any suggestions?

I just graduated a couple months ago and honestly have little knowledge of materials.

I've looked at PolyGal and other straight-forward polycarbs, but if anybody knows of a more beautiful option, it would be kind of you to share!

Sep 24, 10 1:47 pm
mdler

saran wrap

Sep 24, 10 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

What?

Corrugated plastic paneling. 16mm storm-rated paneling averages about $3.50 a square foot. You'll need a minimum of 15 fasteners per 4' by 8' sheet (spaced 18" apart). Fasteners typically run about $1.50 per point.

That's a grand total of about $3.85 a square foot.

Sep 24, 10 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Oh wait, you wanted someone to name a specific product.

www.designfinder.com/ pay someone.

Or refrabricate the panels yourself. I'm sure there's some decoupage glue and some tissue paper within 10 miles of you.

Sep 24, 10 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

HDPE is pretty cheap and if you get it in a 1/16th or 1/8th thick it is, "semi-translucent", appearing more or less so depending upon how it is lit and the backdrop.

for reference, last year i got a 4'x8' sheet of 1/8th" HDPE for $45 from a local supplier. It is a thermoplastic so it can be remelted many times with gradual degradation. This is important, practically, b/c it cannot be laser cut. it melts and the melted plastic runs together after the laser passes and sets right up again. It mills well though, and this is how I worked with it. I think it is a very attractive material.

As far as how translucent it is, from a distance, with nothing behind it, it just looks white. With something behind it and no strong backlighting, very strong shadows are easily visible. With strong and/or colored backlighting, color and form can be made to show through.

Sep 24, 10 11:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: