Archinect
anchor

Would you like to crit my work?

lewis bailie

Let me know what you think of 'thesis' project.
Thanks!

Sep 23, 10 10:35 am
lewis bailie
www.lewisbailie.co.uk
Sep 23, 10 10:36 am  · 
 · 
lewis bailie

..Construction Trades College

Sep 23, 10 10:39 am  · 
 · 
med.

The low-resolution images do absolutely no justice to your project or work in general. They need to be bigger, cleared, and higher resolution.

You should set up one of those online portfolios like others have on this site. You need to show more work - there are only two projects on here -- one in which the link doesn't even work. The project seems very interesting but the description is pretty paper thin. I hate the fact you have to click on links to see only one image. Again you should do an actual portfolio layout like others have done.

This is a very confusing and frustrating website to browse.... If I were reviewing this as an employer, I would VERY quickly lose patience and hit the little 'x' on the right hand corner of my computer screen pretty quickly. Speaking as a colleague, I lost patience with it instantlly. The links are so tiny that your curson barely registers them as links unless you are right ontop of the zie '8' font.

Check out other links on archinect to see other online portfolios people have done. It should be a big help for you.

Sep 23, 10 11:46 am  · 
 · 
poop876

I'm with med....I clicked on that X he is talking about within 1 min. and was done with it. At first I thought my mouse battery was dead, and wasn't working, but then I realized it was your site that is not working.

Sep 23, 10 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
phld21

I could actually navigate the site, but it was somewhat difficult. Next time just lay everything out into a portfolio, and upload it here:
http://www.coroflot.com/

or some other online portfolio site.

It looks like a somewhat interesting building, but you need to include more about what is driving your ideas. How did you choose the site? What is the user experience like? How does the building change over-time? Why a building trade college?

What sort of theories does the project engage? You should include more writing and process work in order for everyone to really understand your intentions.

If this is a college for people in the building trades then why not really show people building things in your images. Make it an in-depth personal study of people in the trades. You could have a whole series of images describing the various tasks/skills that someone in the construction trades needs to learn. You could also have some drawings about the spatial needs, HVAC systems etc. Having a building trades college could be a reaction against existing training methods in the field. You should describe the current process of how people enter the building trades. What are the working conditions like? What are the average salaries and educational backgrounds of the workers? Is there evidence of discrimination or union activity that your project will have to react to?

A thesis is not just a building it has to be a position on an issue that results in something built.

Sep 25, 10 10:09 am  · 
 · 
phld21

I could actually navigate the site, but it was somewhat difficult. Next time just lay everything out into a portfolio, and upload it here:

It looks like a somewhat interesting building, but you need to include more about what is driving your ideas. How did you choose the site? What is the user experience like? How does the building change over-time? Why a building trade college?

What sort of theories does the project engage? You should include more writing and process work in order for everyone to really understand your intentions.

If this is a college for people in the building trades then why not really show people building things in your images. Make it an in-depth personal study of people in the trades. You could have a whole series of images describing the various tasks/skills that someone in the construction trades needs to learn. You could also have some drawings about the spatial needs, HVAC systems etc. Having a building trades college could be a reaction against existing training methods in the field. You should describe the current process of how people enter the building trades. What are the working conditions like? What are the average salaries and educational backgrounds of the workers? Is there evidence of discrimination or union activity that your project will have to react to?

A thesis is not just a building it has to be a position on an issue that results in something built.

· 
phld21

· 
dblock

I gave up after a minute or two trying to touch the links...
Way too frustrating... picture on the front page looks interesting though...

Sep 25, 10 3:25 pm  · 
 · 

Steer clear of Flash for such a simple website. Images take too long to load with Flash and wont load at all on some mobile devices.

Sep 25, 10 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
lewis bailie

Thank you for your advice and thoughts. I will try to improve the design of the site.

Sep 26, 10 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I'd like to second everyone's observations. Using flash for something like this is a horrible idea. This entire project could have been shown on a single web page.

I did like the part where I clicked on a link called 'idea' and it took me to a blank page. Yes!

Sep 26, 10 7:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: