Archinect
anchor

revit on resume

greyvsgray

revit is a huge program, and I've been picking up bits here and there (I'm a recent grad);

question: when is it fair to state on your resume that you have a "basic" knowledge or understanding of revit?

should one have completed a project with it? be familiar with the interface and the basic tools? impossible to answer?

thanks!

Sep 19, 10 3:26 pm
creativity expert

there's not clear answer to your question, frankly there is no answer that will make you happy, why do i say this? well if you are new like other graduates, companies are looking to hire you because you are cheap labor period. Specifically for a particular project, then they will typically fire you within a year and half, that is the pre recession- depression routine.

Has this routine changed since this great architecture depression? I was let go about 10 months ago, and so far from people i know who are still working, firms are pretty much holding on to the people they have on the pay roll at the moment, quite frankly they have invested too much time and money on these people and they don't want to see them go, after all they didn't fire them throughout this great depression, why do it now? unless we double dip then its all over for everyone.

Just mention all computer programs that you are a pro at include Revit, if you went to college and had to pay upwards of 700 a credit hour to learn Revit, you are a pro the rest is just on the job training and learning other peoples standards, frankly speaking people are still using Revit as if it was Acadd, good luck to you hope this was helpful.

Sep 19, 10 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
greyvsgray

...I should say, picking up bits *since* graduation. I'm still very much a novice.

anyways, thanks for the (somewhat ominous) response DQ

Sep 19, 10 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

DonQuixote

"frankly speaking people are still using Revit as if it was Acadd, good luck to you hope this was helpful."

4 months ago, I was hired by a firm where the two architects there were using Revit like Autocad. I changed that, and now we all use Revit as BIM with a huge emphasis on parametric modeling of components - why? because there is constant mind changing to get the project under cost and meet title 24. parameterization is why we can make major design changes in 1 day.

Being a recent grad gives you a huge advantage in that you are up on the technology and do not have years or even decadaes of habit - employers today are looking for fresh talent, people who use Revit as BIM. The downside, is that many very experienced people who did not make the transition in a timely manner are either in or are joining the ranks of the long term unemployeed - most will never work in architecture again the transition from Acad to Revit has become expedited by the current economic climate -

here is a point of opportunity - to show the experienced how to really use BIM - and in such a way, they beleive they learned it on thier own - or "a man or woman forced against thier will will be of the same opinion still" When people experience architecture through BIM, a light goes on.

back to the point of the thread - Most firms won't talk to you unless you have 2 years off office experience with Revit - how to get around it? what I did was to use my school projects as demo projects to show what I can do for the firm I am applying to - these projects become conversation pieces for a discussion on how you can help the firm in question with thier specific problems and objectives. and if you can post them onto Issue and send links to employers, they will call you - they did with me, and gradually, I evolved to where I now have 26 months of experience in Revit at architectural offices.

The key of course is to find out what it takes and do it - make this objective of yours first, first, and first and you will prevail.

RULE 1 always look over the horizon

Sep 19, 10 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
greyvsgray

so what was your experience w/ revit prior to applying? did you use it for 2 or 3 years in school? teach yourself after you graduated?

Sep 19, 10 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

I used Revit in school on my thesis projects, used Revit at a 4 month internship in Del Mar, Ca. - graduated in 2007, and got hired at SOM in San Francisco - at the time, they needed someone to help them transition from Autocad to Revit.

Sep 19, 10 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

rethinkit,
congrats on learning to use Revit, as "BIM", but i assure you there were very experienced architects that also knew how to use BIM, and they were still let go, you are still pretty much a rookie architect, so i understand why you say what you say, in the manner you say it, there is very little you can teach me about Revit or how to put a building together, has SOM delivered an actual IPD project yet?

Sep 19, 10 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
greyvsgray

whoa there fellas;

Sep 19, 10 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

DonQuixote

Sorry if I came accross as a BIM WIT or some "red rascal" of architecture

I know what it's like to be unemployed - 12 months from the time I got layed off from SOM to my next job as a temp - " 12 months - I redid my student portfolio thesis project over in Revit(was in Maya), learned everything I could about Revit 2010, freelanced, volunteered(read - worked for free) at 2 firms - did whatever it took to get back aboard.

At the time(2007) there were a few experienced architects that were using Revit - Okay, I was hired to help out, then perform production on various projects. I was not - I repeat not the one who transformed SOM to BIM, that credit goes to the NY office on the Freedom Tower project - I would never take credit for what others have done. I may be just a rookie in the architecture dept, however do have 15 years+ experience in 3D design, computer programming, mathematics as a foundation to the 3D geometric aspect of architecture -
When I was at Ellerbe Becket as a temp, the best Revit users where also the most experienced architects there, including one of the principlals of the San Francisco Office.
I don't profess to be a Revit expert, no way, I waould get smacked down at the A.I.A office by our own architectural papparazi and end up in 94111.com - I am just trying to survive okay.

Sep 19, 10 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

oh no worries rethink it, congrats on being part of the 50% that is employed though, sorry you had to work for free I know there are some people that get pretty upset when they hear about people working for free. If your office needs someone that can put a building together put in a good work word for a fellow archinector.

Sep 20, 10 1:19 am  · 
 · 
creativity expert

sorry i meant put in "a good word"

Sep 20, 10 1:25 am  · 
 · 
creativity expert

guess "a good work word" could suffice also, i do good work, thank you rethink it hope i didn't make an enemy it's the last thing anyone needs at a time like this.

Sep 20, 10 2:03 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

"The downside, is that many very experienced people who did not make the transition in a timely manner are either in or are joining the ranks of the long term unemployeed - most will never work in architecture again the transition from Acad to Revit has become expedited by the current economic climate."

This is a troubling thought. I really hope Revit doesn't place me out of the profession because I got laid off at the wrong time. Surely there will be offices that a: didn't make the transition and b: are not heartless a-holes who won't train someone.

Sep 20, 10 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

No i wouldnt worry about Revit knocking you out, Cherith, just remember Revit is a toy, and we all know how to play.

Sep 20, 10 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
Purpurina

Grey-

I don't see a problem if you put that you have a basic experience with revit. (We all have been there at least once ;). It depends on the job add, what the firm is looking for.
If they are trying to hire a revit guru, just a lite contact with the program will not qualify you, but go to a specific certification or show previous employment, for a better chance, if you want to be a "technical".

A basic experience with revit will give the employer the idea that you are willing to participate in production of docs using the program and not as a techinical coordinator.

Sep 21, 10 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

Tell them you know it and learned it in school - there is no reason to put a level of experience on your resume - let them do the math...it would be obvious how much experience you might have...let them ask the question....which could get you in the office to see your personality and if you may be a good canidate for learning how they use they program. If you dont have much experience....dont tell them that - thell them you have experience and let them ask how much...they may never ask.

Sep 21, 10 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

Tell them you know it and learned it in school - there is no reason to put a level of experience on your resume - let them do the math...it would be obvious how much experience you might have...let them ask the question....which could get you in the office to see your personality and if you may be a good canidate for learning how they use they program. If you dont have much experience....dont tell them that - thell them you have experience and let them ask how much...they may never ask...its happened to me with photoshop and acad a number of times.

-Go with the attitude that you can do anything...you can learn anything and you will

Sep 21, 10 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
greyvsgray

thanks guys and gals-

Sep 21, 10 11:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: