Archinect
anchor

Resume Project Listing

myrrh

I have been working at a small design firm as a project administrator since graduating from arch. school. I am not involved with design and my role is more of taking care of the business side of running a design firm (RFP's, proposals, contract review/negotiation, project scheduling and billing etc.).

I am updating my resume and is wondering if it is appropriate to list the projects that I have assisted with acquiring successfully as well as the ones that I am administering.

Thanks in advance for your responses/opinions.

Sep 15, 10 4:12 am
gibbost

It seems perfectly reasonable to list all the projects you have been involved with. What's more important is listing your role on each project. Most people reviewing [arch] resumes will assume that a listed project means you were the project architect and facilitated the design and drawing production. To many, your duties as a project administrator are very important and may just be exactly what they're looking for. (Generally speaking, architects make poor administrators). Play up the fact that you helped all these projects run smoothly--I'm assuming :)
However, be forewarned that you'll need to be ready to field questions regarding your ability to design and draw if that's the sort of position you're seeking.

Sep 15, 10 10:51 am  · 
 · 
Urbanist

you can also come up with your own code

BIG RED HOUSE, Podunk, TX - Project Manager/Adminstrator
FAT HOUSE, Dimwit, AR - Design Lead
OUTHOUSE, Deadbeat, NM - Project Manager/Design Lead

etc

Sep 15, 10 10:58 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

What's funny is how accurate those fictional town names are.

Back on topic:

I've done basically what Urbanist described on my resume as well. I didn't include every project I worked on... I tried to include a mix of project types and sizes of projects I had contributed a fair amount of time and work to. Then I tried to write a short 1-2 sentence bullet about it.

EX:

OUTHOUSE, Deadbeat, NM - Project Manager/Design Lead on 100sf, LEED Platinum facility; SD-CA; coordinated and reviewed RFI's and Shop Drawings.

To gibbost's point: I would include a small sample of work with your resume that demonstrates your design work, esp. if you feel that your office experience alone is not representing you as a designer. I think most offices will be happy with the experience you do have because that makes you a little more aware of how projects work (esp. from a budget standpoint).

Sep 15, 10 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
myrrh

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think most people assume, when seeing a listed project on an arch resume, that the person is involved with designing. That is why I am a bit hesitant to list the projects.

I have since updated my resume listing the projects I am administering/ have administered as well as a brief description of my involvement. Now moving on to updating my portfolio...

Urbanist, maybe after I'm done with portfolio updating I will do a parody of my resume with my own made up code. = )

Sep 29, 10 6:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: