Archinect
anchor

PORTFOLIO FONTS 2010: HOT OR NOT

vyan

it's time to revive this thread since the original thread was started in 2009.

Lets share some of what you guys think are the hottest fonts of this year and the worst fonts.

HOT LIST:

I think these are the newest typefaces that I see in some architectural books recently.

1. DIN

2. Bureau

3. Deltarbo

4. Griffith

NOT LIST:

old, old, old,old, fonts. Safety fonts, but definitely well played out.

1. Helvetica

2. Futura

3. Swiss 721

but i very much like helvetica neue.

Sep 10, 10 4:26 am
Rusty!

you can use comic sans if your work is badass. It won't matter. There are so few well written project descriptions (aka. press releases) that I often wish architect wouldn't even bother trying to describe what's going on.

I wish architecture studios would consider hiring copywriters for outgoing work. Stuff that's being published (even by best regarded designers) is downright embarrassing.

Picking a font? Leave that to the graphic designer. And no, being a 'talented' architect does not automatically make you a great graphic designer.

Sep 10, 10 6:37 am  · 
 · 
IamGray

Helvetica, Futura, 721, etc. are classic typefaces that will always have an appeal and when composed correctly, create a clean, simple, and refined look.

The problem as of late is their over-exposure, and over-use by clumsy architecture students with no knowledge of proportion, scale, or sense of composition. The result often looks sloppy, tired, and un-imaginative.

Personally, I'm playing around with serif and slab typefaces for the ol' portfolio. So far, I'm happy with the results.

Sep 10, 10 2:05 pm  · 
 · 

I would say the DIN trend has come and gone.

Sep 10, 10 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
jplourde

This very nearly composited everything I hate about architecture in one question. Congrats, I almost kicked my computer in its face.

First of all, if you were concerned about fonts, then you shouldn't be asking about them on Archinect. You should already have a 'better' idea of the fonts currently in vogue.

Secondly, the fact that you're concerned about font trends already tells me that your portfolio is devoid of substance.

I think you should apply to 2x4.

Sep 10, 10 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Gotham. It's honestly the next Helvetica.

Sep 10, 10 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
vyan

you're right jplourde.

thanks for putting things into perspective for me.

Sep 12, 10 1:56 am  · 
 · 
Mobius

I'm all about the subtle serifs now. Of course half the appeal of them is that the reader guesses I didn't get the font off a list like this so no example :P

Oct 20, 10 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

You should find a font or two that fits with what you are interested in and your own personal style. For example I'm interested in the tectonics of structure so I picked a headline font that was easy and clear to read, yet has some edgy and a technological feel to it (Klavika). Whatever you do though, make sure people can read your body font if they do decide to read it. Go with something classic and sans-serif. I use Univers but Gotham, Helvetica, and tons more would work just as well.

Its just like designing a building. Fonts and colors have meaning just as well. It should all be used to tell the story of you and your development.

Oct 20, 10 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

Cursive fonts like a pro. (My personal preference that never shows).

Oct 21, 10 11:46 am  · 
 · 
gbugel

The Park Slope Food Co-op prints some of their signs in DIN. Take that as you will.

Oct 28, 10 2:20 am  · 
 · 

i've recently developed a liking for the glypha family of fonts for titles/headings (not for body text though)...

Oct 28, 10 8:16 am  · 
 · 
liznieve

slab serif fonts (a la glypha) are always nice and sturdy. grounded.

although i think sometimes this whole architecty-for-architectiness aesthetic wears thin. for my name and some pertinent headlines, I am not afraid of a saucy script: something overally baroque really creates that clash between the refined restraint of a sans serif. i.e.: http://www.fontspace.com/gazoz/mutlu

also shows you can fucking think for yourself and have a bit of a sense of humor. which, you know, is lacking in our chosen profession.

Oct 29, 10 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
RealLifeLEED
I'm comic sans, asshole.

DIN is nothing other than the bastard child of helvetica anyway...

Nov 2, 10 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

^ That's pretty amazing since DIN was first released in 1923 and Helvetica wasn't developed until 1957.

Nov 2, 10 6:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: