Archinect
anchor

Cal Poly San Luis Obispo Master of Science in Architecture

ggrgr

Hi everyone,

I need your opinion on Cal Poly san luis obispo's architecture grad school. Everything in details!!! how many plotters, laser cutters, any shitty professors? things to watch out for, the facility itself, studio space and the nature of the "architectural science" under the M.S. arch options.

thanks!!

Sep 4, 10 9:16 am
Khouchin

I can't speak for their grad program, per se, but the undergrad is excellent. Recently (in the past 2 years) the school has expanded its fabrication facilities to include 2 laser cutters and a 3 axis CNC, they also have one of the nicest wood shops I've seen on a campus (at least for an undergrad program).

From my understanding (and I'm far from certain of this) the MS in Architecture at Poly seems to focus around CAD based development. I know the heads of the grad program run a business developing specialty CAD software, they even go so far as to work for the military in some top secret stuff that they wouldn't mention.

I don't know how many of the undergrad professors interact with the grad students, but there has been an influx of a younger generation that is creating a shift in the pedagogy of the school, in some ways the undergrad program is torn between a modernist trained philosophy and a more contemporary approach. Either way the professors are great, for the most part.

Hope this helps.

Sep 4, 10 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
ggrgr

KHouchin- I am assuming you're an undergrad, on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being terrible 10 being excellent, what score do you give their facilities. Also your opinion on the town San Luis Obispo since i've never visited and wouldn't be able to visit, is it your typical college town? Lastly if you can also rate UCLA and USC's studios. Thanks in advance

Sep 8, 10 4:40 am  · 
 · 
ggrgr

anyone else....

Sep 14, 10 7:24 am  · 
 · 
CaliforniaArchitectCE

Poly is a great school that's always in the upper echelon of program ranking.

That said, you must know that the masters degree is not accredited, so if you do not have an accredited BArch, I could not recommend Poly to you unless you intend to get their BArch degree.

San Luis Obispo is one of the best college towns in the country. When school is in session, students represent roughly 1/3 of the population.

And you can't ask for more from a location. The central coast is beautiful.

Sep 14, 10 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
ggrgr

yea I've heard of town Im sure its great. I have a 5 year degree (B.Arch.) and I am interested the theory and psychology related to sustainable architecture, but I heard that Cal Poly's program is more into computers and number punching which is something im not interested in..so I need someone to tell me about it cuz I really wanna go there

Sep 15, 10 3:12 am  · 
 · 
CaliforniaArchitectCE

I don't think Poly's MSArch is what you're looking for.

Sep 15, 10 3:26 am  · 
 · 
ggrgr

Yeaa...perhaps CCA or UCLA? Do you anything about the SupraStudio at UCLA? and if I can do what I mentioned at those schools or USC

Sep 15, 10 3:29 am  · 
 · 
CaliforniaArchitectCE

Check out the school websites. While you're at it, check out www.sfia.net

Sep 15, 10 3:40 am  · 
 · 
ggrgr

I did check out school websites! But you know how all schools try to make their program sound like its the best on websites, thats why I made a thread to ask real students and listen to their stories and opinions. Thanks for your help though.

Sep 15, 10 3:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: