Archinect
Distant Unicorn

Ohhh... exciting. Why is that AECOM succeeds where others fail?

Sep 3, 10 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I'm going to assume it is diversification?

Sep 3, 10 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
med.

From what I have come to understand AECOM very rarely ever turns down work no matter how shitty and boring it is. This is a very good practice that was long embraced by AECOM's subsidiary, DMJM.

When the market for the really good stuff dries up, there are always jails, detention centers, overseas embassies, warehouses, airforce hangars, temp facilities, missile bases, courthouses, and other projects like that in the backlog.

They also embarked on a mission several years ago to hire away some high level top designers out of other firms like SOM, RMJM, and HOK right before they acquired Ellerbe Becket.

Sep 3, 10 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

and Davis Langdon too!

Sep 3, 10 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
2step

This is the result of the schools pumping out thousands of grads each year coupled with cheap money, the comodification of architecture. What was once a specialty product only few firms globally could do has become routine.

Sep 3, 10 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

2step, did you post in the wrong thread? Your commend does not compute...

Can anyone post the article here? I do not care for registering with that site.

Sep 3, 10 7:40 pm  · 
 · 

do monopoly laws by chance apply to architecture firms? or would they if aecom keeps growing?

Sep 4, 10 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
outed

to me, this wave of mergers seems like it's benefiting the stockholders in the respective companies the most. probably a decent payout, shares in a company with a stronger track record, and access to a much wider market. i think the people who are screwed the most in these situations are the middling middle managers - people who don't really have enough capability to move up but who are too experienced to keep doing mid grade work. seems like that layer gets cut out first.

Sep 4, 10 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

what about Callison? I'm just assuming its the same article I read couple of days ago...and it does not mention what firm, right?

Maybe Lucien Lagrange should have called AECOM and sold his firm before filing for bankruptcy...

Sep 4, 10 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
metal

AECOM has a hand in everything, even works in the oil industry, and im not talking buildings

Sep 5, 10 11:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: