Archinect
anchor

reference for Opening line symbol?

Dikor

hello everyone,
a very basic question arose....In a plan drawing, when we have an opening in the slab below or above ...are the cross lines indicating the opening: continuous or dotted ? and what are the references for the answer.
I know it's a basic question, but it's a debate at our office about references and standards.
Your collaboration is highly appreciated.
p.s. Would be glad if u attached or linked the reference page of the symbol indication.

Aug 30, 10 11:26 am
Dikor

i've been searching in AIA NCS..and other sketching books..but cant's find the symbol indication of an opening in the slab. Please help

Aug 30, 10 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

if you're drawing a structural plan then an opening in the slab below should be a continuous line. 'x' out the opening and stick the note 'open' with arrows within the opening to note the slab is open.

if you're drawing an architectural floor plan openings in the slab below (below the whatever the finished floor is) should be a dashed line if the flooring continuous over the opening. if it truly is open then you can 'x' out the opening and/or stick the note 'open' with arrows within the opening to note it's open (like you would see for an elevator shaft).

if you have to show openings in the slab above i would dash that note it as 'opening in slab above' or something like that.

in general just think of what the contractor needs to know to lay things out and build the stupid thing.

Aug 30, 10 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

here's an example: http://www.comp-engineering.com/products/CSIDETAILER/drawings_and_views.html

look at the first image with slab opening for the elevator noted

i attached a reference 4 u

Aug 30, 10 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
Dikor

thanks FRaC... do u know any reference standard for these presentation way? it's a debate so i need a reference..because i use your way of presentation for the shafts, but he wants us to use all to be dash line...which i believe is wrong indication, but i want to argue with a reference. thanks anyway.

Aug 30, 10 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

it's standard drafting technique.

but i'm bored so i'll do ur work 4 u.

http://academics.triton.edu/faculty/fheitzman/Triton%20Drafting%20Standards%20Manual.pdf
^ on page 10 of the above pdf there is a section of 'linetypes'

solid lines: all visible objects
dashed lines: hidden objects OR objects that are above the cutting plane

does that work 4 u or do u need more?

Aug 30, 10 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

how old are these people you work with? I guess every office can go with their own line weights/types etc.. You'd be surprised when you get to do a really complex project, how many times you change the line types so you can read it better.

I've always used (at every office) an 'X' through the opening with a dashed line. Now for an opening above, I only would outline the opening with a dashed line and not use an 'X' because that would suggest an opening below. And as Frac mentioned I would note the shit out of those just to make sure nobody skips it. (OPEN TO BELOW/OPEN TO ABOVE)

Does your office have a Arch. Graph. Standards? I'm pretty sure it has the linetypes covered somewhere.....somewhere where hatches and stuff is...

Aug 30, 10 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

FraC and poop nailed it.

I also question competence of Diktor's coworkers.

Just to add something of use to this thread: In case of reflected ceiling plans the relationship flips, so that openings above are solid, and openings below (if relevant to show) dashed.

Also of note, in architectural drawings you are going to show edge of finished materials (when they exist) rather than the edge of slab.

Show this thread to your coworkers as a proof of your point. In 2 seconds this page will get indexed by googlebot and will forever be recorded as one, definite truth.

Aug 30, 10 6:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: