Archinect
anchor

I need some professional advice..

The Architect

Hey everybody..

Let me get straight to the point..

I've been working as a design architect for the past two years in one of the leading firms in my country.. Recently, I received a job offer at another bigger company (but it's not completely scoped around Architecture specifically).. The job offer is to be a leison officer for communication between design departments.. One of which I'll be working with, and it's about Geometric and topography modeling and architectural visualization (It's the department that sent me the offer)..

I love designing and the whole designing process, but I feel like I need to increase my management/communication skills, and this job may be corporate but a part of me says its right on the money..

Should I go for it? Or should take something that is more involved with architecture?

My question is more about whats best for my career, because money is good in my current job and in the job am offered, so its not an issue..

Aug 24, 10 9:57 am
LITS4FormZ

"I feel like I need to increase my management/communication skills, and this job may be corporate but a part of me says its right on the money.."

I think you answered your own question

Aug 24, 10 10:14 am  · 
 · 
The Architect

Thank you so much for the quick response :D

Thing is, how would that look like on my CV? is it wise? or would my choice of going corporate (with slight link to Architecture) reduce my chances of becoming, again, a design architect in the future?

I hope am clear about this point.. And thank you so much!

Aug 24, 10 10:37 am  · 
 · 
file

I would think your chances of "becoming, again, a design architect in the future" depends entirely on your talents and your ability to keep your design skills fresh and up-to-date.

I think the bigger question here might be where do you see yourself going over time in your career. If this new position supports those career goals, go for it. If not, stay where you are.

Aug 24, 10 10:46 am  · 
 · 
med.

If they are making it worth your while (like giving you a big bump in pay), I'd go for it. How long have you been at your current firm?

I did the same roughly two years ago (big national firm that I was only at for two years to a even larger global firm) -- best decision I ever made - period.

Also try to get a feel for how things at both your current firm and the prospective firm are going economically?

Is your current firm slow and vulnerable to layoffs and/or paycuts? Same question should be asked about the future firm.

Obviously they want you there so it could be a good opportunity. That was me a few years ago -- I was more of a designer in my last job and now I'm definitely more of a liason between production and management. It's important to get that kind of management experience. You might end up being very good at it and it could add an entire new dimension to your talents and abilities.

Good Luck!

Aug 24, 10 10:49 am  · 
 · 
The Architect

Well, am sure aiming to open a design studio (maybe grow into a bigger scale type of thing, a firm), so in the long run, those management skills can help..

I completely agree on keeping myself fresh and updated.. Should I look into more freelancing and exhibits/seminars that sort of thing?

And I think it will be a good move on some level.. The pay is better and the benifits are much better than my current office.. My office is going down a huge managerial shift (not the good kind), and I should run while running is good, eh?

Thank you all for the amazing insights, you sure gave me good things to sleep over..

Aug 24, 10 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

what's your experience level? if you've only been in the profession five years or less, take the new job, and gain the exposure. if you've been in practice longer than 5 years, you need to make a larger career choice. do you want to eventually open a small design studio or do you want manage a large corporate office?

quite frankly, i have no idea what "a leison officer for communication between design departments" is. personally that would concern me.

Aug 24, 10 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
The Architect

As I mentioned, I've been working for 2 years this September..

I made my own research on what the job description is.. It varies depending on the departments you're communicating with, and the nature of the company in general..

To put it simply, i think its a project manager/coordinator kind of job (that's what I understood from the job desc. They sent me).. I'm not sure, hence why am asking around..

Aug 24, 10 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

Out of curiosity, if you love designing and the design process but feel you need more management/communication skills, why not talk to your current employer about having the opportunity to do both there? That way you could continue working for the "leading firm in your country" while getting the management experience you want. That scenario would make you more valuable, IMO. But if they react negatively to it, then consider moving to the other firm if it's that important to you.

The fact is that you may be just as unhappy at the other firm because you're not getting design experience. What's more important to you at this point?

Aug 24, 10 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

It sounds like you will be (some kind of happy or . . . ) at the new job. I think if you want to start your own operation some day, the experience will benefit you regardless of how it turns out. You'll end up with a better understanding of what your skills are and where you will need others to collaborate with you in the future. Easy for me to say, but I'd say go for it.

Aug 25, 10 1:27 am  · 
 · 
The Architect

@FP

My current employer "brings in" managers and coordinators, usually newly hired, but sometimes from other divisions..

But thinking about your question, i think whats important for me now is get more of "how to run things", and like Dazed and Confused said, i'll have a better understanding of where do i excel..

I guess it's settled, i'll have that "walk" now..

You've all been great help! :)

Aug 25, 10 5:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: