Archinect
anchor

Interviewing at the same firm.. 3 years later

oshit

Any suggestions on how to approach an interview with a firm that I met with 3 years ago? I'm not sure that I will be meeting with the same people, but last time around nothing panned out.

At the time, I hadn't gone to grad school yet, so now that I've completed all my schooling, have a new portfolio, etc I feel I should go in to it like any other applicant / interviewee. If anything, I was thinking of bringing up my past interview to express my continued interest in the firm... but only if they mentioned something first.

So what do you think?

Aug 23, 10 6:32 pm
metal

i've been in this predicament. i woudnt mention it, the bigger firms especially dont seem to care, maybe the smaller guys. but even then, they might ask, "if it didnt work out before, why will it work out now?"

i wouldnt want them to have that question over there heads.

if they bring it up ok, but otherwise i'd avoid it.

Aug 23, 10 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

I think it might depend on the circumstances from the previous interview. Did they just not hire anyone or did they hire someone with more experience? I might not announce that I had interviewed before at the outset of the interview but if it seems natural in the conversation I would mention it for the same reasons you mentioned, showing continued interest in the office. I could be wrong but to me that would show that you are serious about working for them, rather than just looking for any scrap of work you can find.

You could always say something like "I am very familiar with the office and the work... I even interviewed here a few years back. Since then I have gone to school... worked at XYZ office... learned software, etc, all of which I feel will contribute to a position here" or something like that. That would at least dispel the "if it didnt work out before, why will it work out now?" question.

Aug 23, 10 9:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: