Archinect
anchor

Firm Culture

Data

Have a job offer, quite a bit more money, however the firm culture is such they do not do the quality of work I have worked on in the past. what are others experience in regards to switching firms and being able to either adapt to their culture, or upgrade the quality of work in the environment. for example they have not integrated a lot of new technologies into their process. The firm I am moving from is a large design oriented firm. the firm I am considering is mid sized.

Nov 9, 04 8:53 am
A

Well, is the $$ worth it to you? I did the same some years ago. Moved to a larger firm with a more "corporate" culture. At first I got more money and as an intern that's all I thought about up front. Now this job is sucking the life out of me. I actually have questioned my devotion to the business because of this place. For me things haven't been well these past three years. I'm considering a move and possible pay cut. Want to switch places?

Nov 9, 04 10:51 am  · 
 · 
weave

personally, i would take a pay cut to work for a small to mid-sized firm that actually cared about making good buildings. we're not trying to get rich from being an architect, right?

Nov 9, 04 11:01 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

A corporate culture can be a good thing.
Decent pension contributions.
Good social events.
Smoosing with the hoi polloi of the construction industry.
Plenty of people to hit the beers with on a Friday and moan about Directors etc.
Romance opportunities.

The one thing I have realised moving from small practices to a large commercially driven corporate practice is that you have to make an effort in all your contribution if you are to be recognised as a valued member of the ‘team’. I’m not just talking work / drawing but in other fields: IT, social events, and professional development. Otherwise that ambition you brought upon your arrival will disappear as fast as your parallel assimilation into the corporate machine.

Data – there is more to life than money; however a fair balance of stimulating projects and financial reward is not unreasonable. Only you will be able to asses this.

Nov 9, 04 11:10 am  · 
 · 
Data

thanks for the comments, I do realize the moeny issue, however I have heard constant complaints about money from many architects. is there an assuption that the more you make the more the environment values you and will therefore give you more lattitude?

My ultimate ambition is to start up my own practice within the next 5 years, and to have a cushion that will accomodate it. lastly if you leave on a good standing with your firm, is it easy to return if the other environment is not correct?

Nov 9, 04 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
rayray

you already seem to know that the other environment is not correct
follow your instincts, not the money...you'll be glad that you did.

sometimes you have to say no to potential clients to keep things real,
consider this practice for when you're on your own in five years.

best

Nov 9, 04 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
A

BOTS - In my corporate work environment we don't get a good 401k or pension. Social events are next to none. There isn't much smoozing that I get to do and the partners limit my exposure to anyone that may matter. Nobody goes out after work for a drink and I'm not really looking to date anyone I work with.

Nov 10, 04 7:48 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

A - Sounds crap. Is the work stimulating?

Do you know what the staff churn rate is? We used to have an annual churn rate of 5% min, but since the practice has become more caring (pensions, social events) and more Architecturally focused (seminars, open studios, guest lunch time lectures) our churn rate is down to less than 2%.

The hardest thing in these large firms is to avoid being taken for granted and becoming invisible. I tend to find that my annual bollocking with the MD keeps my profile high. It’s just a good job I’m a valued member of staff otherwise I’d be sacked by now!

Nov 10, 04 9:01 am  · 
 · 
Data

Like the comments, I will say that I do not know if the environment is right or wrong, I just feel that in the current environment, which is corporate that I could stand still for awhile. My aprehension comes more from not knowing, and having developed relationships in my current environment. Currently my inclination is to go. Some of my reasons are, Different culture, different project types, money, and more client contact. the biggest hang up is quality of work, but I assume that their interest in me is to upgrade the quality of work they are currently doing. And if worse comes to worse, nothing will stop me from leaving.

Nov 10, 04 10:22 am  · 
 · 
A

Not sure on the "churn" rate. I started here right before 9/11 and have fared through some tough times - layoff's and reduction in benefits. For the past 18 months or so things have picked up a lot for us and others in the region. Over the past 2 months we've lost 6 people to competitors firms. Not looking good for us. I'm looking....

Nov 10, 04 2:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: