Archinect
anchor

IDP, ARE, and Independent Contractors as your IDP Direct Supervisor

devon.tl

I'm having a very hard time with NYS licensure requirements. If you work in a company where your IDP Direct Supervisor is a "consultant" or independent contractor for your company, then NY State says you cannot apply that IDP experience to your ARE.
Firms like Diller Scofidio + Renfro and/or a property development company with an architecture department have their licensed architects as independent contractors to the firms.

So then I thought I'll just apply for ARE in other states like NC, CA, or FL. But NC and CA REQUIRE an accredited degree, and I have a 4-year. What if I can't work out getting a Master's anytime soon?

I feel screwed.
Thoughts?

Aug 16, 10 8:45 pm
poop876

If you are under direct supervision of that supervisor, he/she holds a current license in that state...it does not matter where you work. You can let's say...work for one architect to cover work settings X and work for another architect, at a different firm, or under direct supervision, to cover work settings Z and Y.

If that supervisor is willing and understands the IDP process, has direct supervision of your professional work he should be able to sign off on your hours.

Aug 18, 10 9:33 am  · 
 · 
poop876

Oh and...did somebody from NY tell you what you said above? You have to think about that some of those people working there have no clue and they get confused with complex issues some people will throw at them and without trying to find an answer they will tell you "You can't do that". If you have an e-mail or letter from them, would you mind posting it?

Aug 18, 10 9:36 am  · 
 · 
devon.tl

Not only did someone I know get denied from taking the NY State ARE because of this sole reason, but it also says on the NY State Arch Licensure Exam web site that the direct supervisor must be directly employed by the same company that directly employs the intern. IDP will give you all the credits that you can satisfy with a direct supervisor as a consultant to your employed company. But New York State won't allow you to apply for the ARE if these credits are with said consultant.

I called the NYS Board office yesterday, they told me to call back on Thursday so I can confirm this information completely. I know that if you get your IDP credits in an academic/professorial/research position, then you still need one year of experience under a licensed architect. So I'm wondering if this can be similarly applied in this consultant-architect situation.
So again, I feel screwed.

Aug 18, 10 10:35 am  · 
 · 
devon.tl

Not only did someone I know get denied from taking the NY State ARE because of this sole reason, but it also says on the NY State Arch Licensure Exam web site that the direct supervisor must be directly employed by the same company that directly employs the intern. IDP will give you all the credits that you can satisfy with a direct supervisor as a consultant to your employed company. But New York State won't allow you to apply for the ARE if these credits are with said consultant.

I called the NYS Board office yesterday, they told me to call back on Thursday so I can confirm this information completely. I know that if you get your IDP credits in an academic/professorial/research position, then you still need one year of experience under a licensed architect. So I'm wondering if this can be similarly applied in this consultant-architect situation.
So again, I feel screwed.

Aug 18, 10 10:35 am  · 
 · 
poop876

Ok, that is crazy! How about if that "consultant" was a temporary worker of the firm? I'm wondering if you don't use 'consultant' if it would make any difference? How do they know if that person was or was not directly hired by the firm you are with? I'm not sure what the process for applying for ARE's in NY is...especially with a 4 year degree! Keep us updated, but I do hope you can register and start taking them. Did you look into any other states like Illinois?

Aug 18, 10 10:52 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

wow, i am amazed that a state is now looking even beyond just fulfilling IDP hours to allow testing

If this consultant isnt a member of your firm, was anyone in your firm also working with you who could sign off on the hours? I imagine there was someone in your firm who was at least mildly familiar with what you were doing. Could they act as your supervisor to sign off on the hours?
Of course this may screw you out of most of your hours with the 6 month rule.

ick
good luck

Just out of curiosity. How many hours are we talking about here? Is it years worth of hours?

Aug 18, 10 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
devon.tl

Well, I'm up for a job where the direct supervisor is a consultant. He works full time, and has his own enclosed office in the building and supervises the architecture branch, just tax-wise is an independent contractor. And the interviewer brought up that I may be able to fulfill my IDP hours, but NY State may not account for them. So I've been trying to decipher the NY state web site, and it indeed alludes to this fact.
I'm hoping that because of the one-year-directly-under-a-licensed-architect (like if you were in an academic/professorial/research position or working for an employer that classifies something other than Type "A") would also apply to my case if I can have the job. Then I think I can fulfill my IDP hours, then work for someone else for a year.
There's one guy working there who's almost finished with his exams because he started before this rule went into effect. So I can also hope that when he's licensed, and should he choose to stay at the company w/o changing his state tax orientation , then he might be able to become my direct supervisor.
Who knows, I may not have to deal with this problem.

Although the thing I'm trying to forget is that if I joined IDP in school, I could already be taking my AREs but the stupid 6-month rule went into effect before I could even afford to join IDP... effing bureaucrats... so I have been starting from scratch at a Type B employer.

Aug 18, 10 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

Cant you essentially choose who your "direct supervisor" is going to be, with regards to IDP hours? Choosing someone who is ineligible wouldnt seem to make sense

or are you saying no one else there is licensed except for this consultant?

Aug 18, 10 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
CaliforniaArchitectCE

California does not require a degree. I believe AZ and WI do not as well.

Sep 14, 10 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
DavidBlackner

I agree with @californiaArchitecht, California does not require a degree. Where are you living? I found some information online. Hope this helps point you in the right direction for consultant job. This helped me figure out which companies were viable, and in which states.

Jan 28, 11 12:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: