Archinect
anchor

Intern appications

hansdampf

Dear archinects,

I'm new to this country (and forum) and have a couple of questions for you.

1) I've sent out tons of applications for an intern (recent graduate) position. No answers (no surprise there). Would you guys call the offices and ask if they got the application or should I just assume they don't want me if I haven't heard anything after a certain time? Would it even be considered annoying if I called?

2) Do you think that the fact that I don't have one of these fancy "accredited degrees", not even one from the US, significantly lower my chances?

3) Would a membership in the AIA increase my opportunities? I could get in as something like an "associate", as I understand it, but it's expensive and I don't know if it's worth it.

4) Will employers believe me if I write "I'll be happy to relocate for this position" or is it better to write that I'm about to move to the area anyway, in terms of interviews etc?

More questions to come, I guess... It's complicated ;)

Aug 12, 10 7:33 pm
Le Courvoisier

Basically if you don't have a Bachelors or Masters in Architecture or are not currently in school or know someone, you aren't going to get an internship. Also everyone is an intern until they are licensed in the US.

1) Yes they probably will think it is annoying since you don't meet the minimum requirements.

2) Yes it will greatly hurt your chances.

3) You have to be in school working on IDP, or have graduated with an accredited degree to be an AIA associate.

4) Right now a willingness to relocate is a requirement, but it is always good to say you are willing to move.

Depending on what your degree is in, you may want to take another route into the offices (for instance marketing, graphic design, etc.)

Good luck!

Aug 12, 10 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
hansdampf

Thanks joshuamings,

I think that came out wrong. I DO have a degree in architecture, actually 2 post-graduates from one of the most well known universities in the world. It's just not from the US.

Aug 12, 10 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

Oh...then you should be fine. If all else fails you could probably get a professorship somewhere.

As far as AIA goes for you, you can become an International Associate AIA. You will also have to go through NCARB, and have them evaluate your coursework via EESA to set you up with IDP and to become eligible to take the ARE.

Aug 12, 10 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Your immigration status will also play a big part.

Back in the boom days offices were wiling to jump through INS hoops for the right candidate. In current economic climate not so much. A lot of job posts specifically state that you need work papers sorted out before applying. It's a chicken and egg thing.

It may help if you're Canadian, otherwise the visa process has become quite complex.

Aug 12, 10 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
hansdampf

Whew, that sounds better... you scared me for a moment there!

A professorship? Where do you find those advertised? I really want to actually do something myself before I teach others, but if I have to, alright...

I know about the AIA, NCARB and all the abbreviation things. I'll care about that as soon as I have a job, because it's expensive and I don't want to go through all the paperwork if I don't even know if it's worth to stay.

So, back to my questions! Should I call?

Aug 12, 10 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
hansdampf

steelstuds, I have a work permit.

Aug 12, 10 8:44 pm  · 
 · 

go ahead and call. its a business. businesses take calls. don't expect too much from it though...

teaching is more competitive than architecture in offices. no harm in trying though, however if you see it as second choice rather doubtful you would be hired, or even should be. that said, i don't know where most jobs are posted, usually i am sent positions by friends. They are generally from the universities themselves. i imagine there are sites that gather them all up somewhere...try google

Aug 12, 10 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
hansdampf

alright... thanks jump!

Aug 12, 10 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
Seiji331

Calling to confirm that they received your application materials is common practice in job hunting for any profession. Most of the architectural offices I've done that to recently however haven't been very courteous or friendly over the phone. Probs because if they're hiring and they're small offices they don't have a dedicated HR staff to deal with applicants.

I would say it never hurts to call though, I mean what if they didn't get your stuff you never know! And it shows that you care enough to make sure.

Aug 13, 10 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
hansdampf

I think so too, Seiji. If they don't want people to call, they could send out a short "application received" notice.

Aug 13, 10 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
Seiji331

Calling to confirm that they received your application materials is common practice in job hunting for any profession. Most of the architectural offices I've done that to recently however haven't been very courteous or friendly over the phone. Probs because if they're hiring and they're small offices they don't have a dedicated HR staff to deal with applicants.

I would say it never hurts to call though, I mean what if they didn't get your stuff you never know! And it shows that you care enough to make sure.

Aug 13, 10 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
hansdampf

Actually, it's funny but I got my "survival job" that way... The lady told me she wanted me because I inquired if she had gotten my resume. "You seemed to be the only one who cared, the others all didn't touch base at all" It's not in architecture, though.

Aug 13, 10 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
Seiji331

Aug 13, 10 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

"+ INTERNS WANTED +
+ IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU … read more+ IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU + IS IT IN YOU"

I found this ad.

Aug 13, 10 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
hansdampf

"To Whom It May Concern,

YES IT IS YES IT IS YES IT IS call me at xxx-xxxx"

Aug 13, 10 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
hansdampf

??? I mean, seriously?

Aug 13, 10 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: