Archinect
anchor

How much pay should I expect?

Wannabe1988

Dear archinect members, I am currently working as an freelancer intern with a company in Malaysia (southeast asia). The scope of my works right now as a freelancer will be building a 3d model with a few render (the rest of the technical drawings will be provided). The 3d model is a bungalow, above 2-3 stories heigh (he has yet to send me the drawings). As for my academic background, I currently just finished my year two and entering year three in this september. Also, this is my first time working as an intern in an architecture firm. The architect is asking how much should I be expecting for the pay but I am a little clueless with the market now. I discussed this with my dad and he said that i should demand a pay of 300usd for this work but I think it's a little too high since some of my friends are working full time without payment but I might be wrong. So, based on the experience of the architects in archinect, how much should I be expecting? how is it for the salary in your regions? thank you for your time!

Aug 12, 10 3:44 am

In the US, I have charged between $1000 and $1500 for one rendering of a 2-3 story home, depending on the level of detail and time-line. I have 5+ years of experience with renderings.

I'm not sure what the market is like in Malaysia, but unless you have extensive rendering experience your target range sounds appropriate, others with more knowledge of the local market could be more exact.

Aug 12, 10 3:52 am  · 
 · 
Wannabe1988

are you provided with all the technical drawings (section, elevation and plan) or do you need to build everything from scratch?

I wonder what is the appropriate time frame in the practice to build a 3d model from a given technical drawings with two or three render?

by the way, thank you for your reply. Sorry for the grammatical error as I am typing this in a hurry but thank you!

Aug 12, 10 3:57 am  · 
 · 

In a typical case, I was part of the project team working on a design and completed the renderings as an 'additional service' to the client, so I had the 3D model I had created in Revit to work from.

For this scope of project, I would estimate 3-4 days for a initial clay model rendering, a round of comments, another 2 days for materials and lighting, another round of comments, and 2-3 days for post-production image alteration. This is assuming the house is not very large and does not have extensive detailed landscaping.

From 1 to 3 weeks is a broad estimate, depending on the extent of changes required during the comment stages. If my scope was more or less defined, I would specify more or less time accordingly.

Aug 12, 10 4:04 am  · 
 · 
Wannabe1988

thank you, you have been really helpful, may I know your academic background when you were doing the job? are you still a student, an unlicensed graduate or a practicing architect?

Hopefully some other architects would be able to give more input on this matter, thank you in advance.

Aug 12, 10 4:08 am  · 
 · 
andmylegsarelong

kken,

Please tell your friends who are interning for free that it is a violation of US federal law to not pay workers unless the firm is a non-profit and they are volunteering. I know it seems difficult to get experience in these hard economic times, but what they are actually doing when they work for free is lowering the pay grade of people with the same experience.

Even you made a remark that reflects this:

"I think it's a little too high since some of my friends are working full time without payment but I might be wrong."

It's never too expensive for you to be paid for your work. Remember that.

Aug 12, 10 10:21 am  · 
 · 
Quentin

^OP said they are from Malaysia

Aug 12, 10 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
andmylegsarelong

I thought the OP may be in the US working remotely and also referencing friends in the US since he/she was unclear on pay rates in Malaysia. If the case is otherwise, then ignore my comment.

Aug 12, 10 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Wannabe1988

Sorry, probably I should have explained clearer about this. I am a student from University of Edinburgh, just completed second year and will be joining the third year from september onward. Right now, I am on my summer break in Malaysia, which also leads me to work as a freelancer intern in one of the architecture firms locally. As for my friend, she is also from my year and previously, she worked for certain firm in New York without paid, which of course has probably mislead me that at my current skill, we probably are not deserving any salary as what we are looking for right now is more of an opportunity to increase our work experience.

However, having heard from what you guys said, I think it is right to ask for the salary, though the architect that I am working with at the moment is kind enough to ask me to quote the price. This brings me to a question of how much exactly do an architecture students that just completed year two would earn.

Anyway, according to some of my friends in Malaysia, they said that an intern at my current level of studies can probably ask for around RM300-400 (around 100usd).

Aug 12, 10 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Wannabe1988

I wonder the price of 350 is reasonable regardless of the geographic location? what do you guys think?

Aug 14, 10 2:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: