Archinect
anchor

what are you working on?

usernametaken

Lately, many topics on archinect have been about unemployment, money, crap jobs and working for free. Understandable in this economy, but I think it's time for a different topic to talk about. So the question to everybody: what are you working on right now? An interesting project, a spectacular competition, a uni-course, a portfolio for job hunting or a way to go into a whole new career: I'm curious. Also to see what the people behind the screen-names here are actually doing.

Since it's probably courtesy if a topic starter actually starts, so here it goes:

I'm currently mainly dividing my time between four projects at work:

a small renovation of a train station (no images to be found yet),

a pedestrian and cyclist bridge (in Amsterdam, NL) that's nearing it's completion. The picture is from some months ago (the transportation of the segments from the factory to the site):

http://www.venhoevencs.nl/projecten/?/nl/alles/naam/_/LVbr

an olympic-sized swimming pool (in The Hague, NL), on which construction has started around april (and will be finished early 2012).

http://www.venhoevencs.nl/projecten/?/nl/alles/naam/_/hofb

Other than that, I'm working on another swimming pool (in Mechelen, B). It's a competition we've won earlier this year, and the process is really speeding up. We've recently started with CD's.

http://www.venhoevencs.nl/nieuws/?/nl/beeld/261

and what about you?

Aug 4, 10 5:12 pm
whyARCH?

lucky!!

currently I am working on 3rd quarter financial statements.

Aug 4, 10 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

very cool!

me: marketing

Aug 5, 10 10:36 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Good post, and nice projects to have, username!

I'm writing an article on housing and planning in Los Angeles, and updating a syllabus for a class I'll be teaching on urban planning and development.

Aug 5, 10 11:24 am  · 
 · 
med.

- US Embassy for OBO (Concept design)
- DoD building(s) (Concept Design)
- Engineering Building for the GSA (Bridging Documents)

Aug 5, 10 11:53 am  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

cool thread!

grant proposal, learning software, custom medical cart design for mobile cognitive task analysis testing, design for sprucing up a lobby, miscellaneous furniture design & fab

Aug 5, 10 11:54 am  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

Updating portfolio, creating a website for myself, working on a book with a professor of mine.

Aug 5, 10 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

I be up in the gym just working on my fitness.

Aug 5, 10 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Seems the bad economy has been quite good for usernametaken.

I haven't seen a new construction project break ground in more than two years for me. Additions, alterations and general interior remodel work seems to be all the rage these days.

Aug 5, 10 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
architectonik

bought a mountain bike off craigslist for $40, wrapped up the AIM competition for Beijing earlier this week, deleting job rejection emails, and gearing up for a placement/ eligibility interview to obtain free welding classes at a local tech school

Aug 5, 10 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
cyberpunk10

Getting ready to go camping in Yosemite this weekend. Going to the gym much more often. Gearing up to take the ARE sometime in the near future. Meanwhile back at the office: the sound of crickets and tumbleweeds.

Aug 5, 10 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

Updating portfolio, exercising 5 days a week to look somewhat like Jillian Michaels,learning new software,HTML,CSS,Java etc. (and hopefully build my own website later on),reading interesting design books.New been so busier!

Aug 5, 10 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

Renovations of hospital space in the Texas Med Center. nothing flashy like that above for sure!

Aug 5, 10 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
iheartbooks

1. Just finished putting together a portfolio of some of my freelance work.
http://stayarch.carbonmade.com/

2. Looking for more freelance work or worthwhile competitions.

3. Managing a few small projects at work. Not as flashy as those, but I'm learning a ton. Very grateful to be where I'm at.

4. Preparing to teach my first studio in the fall, pumped.

5. Revamping my diet, moving towards 100% Paleolithic and definitely seeing positive results.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet

Aug 5, 10 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
architectonik

with everyone going back to the gym and eating these new age diets, we are going to evolve into these intellectual athletes - maybe one day the Arnold Classic will have an architect division :)

Aug 5, 10 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
binary

rough/finish carpentry job at the moment

3 architecture models starting soon

some 3d/concept furniture proposals

product medallions design/build for a local church group

a few bids out there

and all this is paying work....

then grad school in 1 month

Aug 5, 10 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Studying to pass my Applied Linear Algebra 1 exam on Saturday, and thus fulfill my conditional acceptance to Dalhousie's Architecture program (Fail on the exam = fail in the course).

Lesson learned: NEVER take an online course ever, ever, ever again.

Aug 5, 10 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
dia

1. Trying to organise funding and create business structure for a prefab start-up I have been involved in - we just had an exhibition in Melbourne that went very well.

2. Organising research grants for a structural system I have designed for small scale buildings and for emergency housing

3. Finishing negotiations with builders to work on a renovation I designed

4. Putting 2 design consortium bids together for 2 major public projects here in NZ

5. Putting a one page A3 portfolio together

6. Looking for a piece of land to build my own house - want to have this up and running before the end of the year.

Aug 5, 10 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

currently working on a 'gentleman club' and a private high school...nothing too fancy, but it's keeping me busy

Aug 5, 10 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Getting the the computer models together for Brian and then get the catalog together:

Mies van der Rohe’s Bruxelles Pavilion: The Building in the Middle

December 9, 2010 – January 21, 2011

“America is all civilization, Russia all culture; in ideal societies, as in the Germany of the future, the two would be perfectly balanced.” – Arthur Moeller van den Bruck

“I have tried to make an architecture for a technological society.”
-- Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, TIME Magazine (1966)

Ludwig Mies van der Rohe’s design for the Bruxelles Pavilion – Germany’s never-constructed entry to the Brussels International Exposition of 1935 – has long been overlooked. This is because his project was not chosen from the six invited entries and the original presentation was lost. The drawings that survived were returned to Mies in the mid-1960s, along with other materials left behind when he emigrated from Berlin in 1938. Required to symbolize Nazi Germany’s “fighting spirit” and “power,” the Bruxelles Pavilion instructs in two ways. First it is a hybrid, blending elements of the Barcelona Pavilion (1929) and Chicago’s Illinois Institute of Technology campus (1938-1958), two landmarks of his European and U.S. careers. Richard Pommer, architectural historian, further points out that it is the nexus where Mies’ conservative revolutionary worldview, which reconciles high technology with the spirit while rejecting the rationalism of 18th century Enlightenment, overlaps that of his client. With unfettered access to surviving documents, architects William Huchting and Brian DuBois, supported by the Graham Foundation and the architectural technology department at Oakton Community College, have recreated Mies’ monument for a technological age. This exhibition offers an appropriate context to Mies’ intentions and presents a more cultivated appreciation of his legacy.

Public Reception: Thursday, December 9, 5 – 8 p.m.

Aug 6, 10 10:31 am  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Working on ARE.

Aug 6, 10 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
iheartbooks

poop876: A gentleman's club? How did you get that commission?

Aug 6, 10 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
headyshreddy

just finished a studio document with g

http://www.blurb.com/books/1517341

Aug 9, 10 12:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: