Archinect
anchor

What to do with NCARB/IDP if licensed in a state that didn't require it??

anon8

Does anyone have any advice on what to do about NCARB / IDP if you've already gotten licensed in a state that didn't require it? I started IDP when I was working in a state that did require it, and shortly moved to one that didn't - I have been kind of doing the IDP half-assed so it took me forever to finish it. I just got my last report approved, and E-VER says basically to "click here to send report to your State to request permission to test", or some such. Clearly my state doesn't care if I have finished IDP. So then if I think I might one day want to get licensed in a state that did require IDP, I have to get an NCARB certificate, and renew it every year?

Obviously if I don't think I ever want to get licensed in another state, I can tell NCARB to go F-- themselves, but otherwise, it's basically extortion, until I decide I don't need a license in another state?? Help!! Haven't I already paid my dues to NCARB, and so far really for no purpose??

Aug 4, 10 4:02 pm
marmkid

i think once you get your license in that state, if you want to then be licensed in another state, they are not going to ask for your IDP hours, just your license info

its not like you need to retake the exams in each state you get a license, right?

I'd look in to whatever the procedure is for getting a license in a new state other than the one you got your original license. I am pretty sure IDP isnt involved anymore at that point, but could be wrong

Aug 5, 10 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
whyARCH?

I think it depends on your degree as well. do you have a professional degree? Because some states such as Washington state do not require an NAAB accredited degree to obtain a license and it does not require you to go through NCARB.

So lets say you only have a 4yr non prof degree and got your license in washington. You would probably not be able to get licensed in another state that requires an NAAB degree such as Texas because that would require NCARB record. Hope that isnt too confusing.

If you have a prof degree then I think you should be fine.

Aug 5, 10 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

There are several states that require the NCARB certificate for reciprocity. NCARB
I know that doesn't fully answer your question, but might set you on the right path.

Aug 5, 10 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Having applied for reciprocity both with an NCARB Certificate and without, I have to (reluctantly) admit that it was much easier with the NCARB Cert. Worth the money? Hard to say - that would depend on how often you have to do it.

Aug 5, 10 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
anon8

So sounds like the general consensus is: if you want reciprocity, you might want the certificate. I guess my thing is, I am not going to pursue reciprocity now, maybe 10 years from now, who knows.. but would it really be worth it to pay for 10 years of maintaining the NCARB certification just on the off chance I might one day need it?

I do feel like I should do it for one year because otherwise my IDP hours drop off into a black hole somewhere and all those fees & documentation was for nothing.

Sep 16, 10 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I have the same question, sort of. Having switched careers, I would like to reserve the right to return to the profession in the future - perhaps in 10 years. Personally I have decided it is not worth it to pay to maintain any records.

Sep 16, 10 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
druf

You need to keep the NCARB file. If you go for a license in a state that requires IDP, they are going to make you have NCARB transmit your record.

The next debate is if you should pay the yearly fee to stay active or the big reactivation fee NCARB charges, some number of years down the road.

Sep 26, 10 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
sarah123

If I remember the fee is 75 dollars a year. I do grumble every time I send them a check, and sympathize with your quandary. I used the reciprocity once. Probably won't use it again. The only thing is they seem to be getting stricter and stricter and taking over responsibility for more and more state licensure IDP/transfer requirements. May be good to have it just in case they take over all states in the future. On the other hand it is a lot of money for very little piece of mind.

Sep 26, 10 9:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: