Archinect
anchor

ARE Eligibilty Expired

cyberpunk10

So I received a letter from the California Architects Board today informing me that me ARE eligibility expired and that my records are about to be purged unless I send a letter asking otherwise. I've taken three exams in the past and now probably have to take all of the exams again as well as take part in the IDP. I know it's my fault for not taking more exams in the past and for dragging everything out so long. But that doesn't take the sting away from having to start from basically zero.

I want to go off on my own and have my own business or go in business with a buddy who is a contractor. Being licensed would be awesome but at this point I'm really questioning if it's worth it. I guess I am somewhat depressed about it all really.

I'm 34 about to turn 35 and I'm wondering if getting my license is really worth all the brain cells, money and grief. I'm really taken aback by all this. Do I really need to be licensed if I want a career in architecture?

Jul 29, 10 11:35 pm
CaliforniaArchitectCE

All that letter means is you haven't taken an exam in 5 years. Just ask them not to purge your record.

If you let it go and change your mind later, you will have to start from scratch and will be required to do IDP.

Just keep your file current.

35 is young. You've come this far, you'll regret not getting your license if you give up.

There's not much you can do on your own without a license.

Jul 29, 10 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
cyberpunk10

Thanks for the kind words. I will call tomorrow to see if I could be exempt from having to do IDP. That was the real blow to me. I could deal with retaking a couple of exams but having to take IDP when I have 12 years of experience and have been eligible for the ARE for 11 years seems to me a little ridiculous.

We will see. The stiff gin and tonic I'm drinking right isn't hurting either.

Jul 30, 10 1:01 am  · 
 · 
CaliforniaArchitectCE

The last thing you want to have happen is become an inactive candidate. You may have to schedule an ARE exam asap to keep that from happening.

See what they say, and if ncessary, get an ATT and schedule an exam.

You may have already lost exam credit, but that's nothing compared to having to do IDP.

Jul 30, 10 1:14 am  · 
 · 
cyberpunk10

But that's what I think has happened. The letter I received today was informing me that I had to send a letter if i didn't want my record purged.

I don't care about having to take exams over again. Taking the IDP would be a nightmare.

Jul 30, 10 1:27 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

cyberpunks one through nine would never give up.

Maybe cybrerpunk18 can phone in from the future and let you know whether licensing came to be useful or not. It's a 50/50 shot this road to pain called 'now or later'...

I wish someone would make tonic water without corn syrup in it.

Jul 30, 10 2:40 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn
http://qtonic.com/
Jul 30, 10 3:24 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

alternatively, you can make your own pretty easily with soda water, inverted syrup and quinine.

http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=8817212&pfx=

Jul 30, 10 3:25 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn
Rusty!

Unicorn my man (woman? gay horse?)! You know waaaay too much about topic of tonic water. YOu're hired as my personal mixologist!

Jul 30, 10 4:36 am  · 
 · 

Keep in mind that Orhan Ayyuce, starchi-archinecter, became licensed in California at age 50.

Stick with it. You'll be glad, eventually, that you did.

Also, steelstuds your 1-18 comment cracked me up!

Jul 30, 10 10:20 am  · 
 · 
cyberpunk10

Steelstuds, that response is priceless. It will definitely keep me going when I'm feeling down.

Unicorn: A soda stream machine is on my wish list for Christmas this year. But having Bombay Sapphire gin doesn't hurt either when making a good G&T.

Thanks for the kind words Donna. I'll probably keep trying because licensure is defining what my career is.

I'll keep everyone posted when I call later today.

Jul 30, 10 10:36 am  · 
 · 

Ooh, I can personally vouch that the Soda Stream is amazing! I haven't thrown a plastic fizzy water bottle into the landfill in two years!

Jul 30, 10 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
cyberpunk10

I called and left a message for the person in charge of written exams. Hopefully they have leeway in updating inactivity. I can't believe I dropped the ball so badly. The only bright side is that all of my previously taken exams are exempt from the rolling clock deadline.

I'm also in the process of learning everything I can about the IDP. Short answer so far: it sucks!

Jul 30, 10 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Carlos Scarpa refused to take any licensing exams his entire life, yet had a very successful career. He just dragged along a random licensee wherever he went.

Then again, he died falling down a set of concrete stairs he designed himself. Just don't design anything pointy or stabby, and Karma will leave you alone...

Jul 30, 10 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

What the said stair might have looked like:

Jul 30, 10 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Ya, it's way cheaper to hire a 'stamp'. :) So why get one?

Jul 31, 10 4:23 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

I don't really understand all this moaning over the exams. What's the big deal? Just take them already. They're not THAT hard, for goodness' sakes. Just schedule one and get them the hell over. The longer you agonize over this the bigger a "thing" you're turning it into in your own mind. These pesky little exams really do not deserve so much thought and emotional investment. Just march forward one by one and before you know it you'll be done with the damn things.

Jul 31, 10 9:41 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I agree, with Strawbeary and ss - it is not difficult to get someone to 'stamp' the drawings for you (and I am guessing it'll be easier and easier, given the current state of the economy, how many architects are school, etc.). This also takes the liability off of your shoulders.

It depends on what you do and want. Personally, its much more advantageous to continue to learn the nuances of financing/investing, than licensing, but everyone has their own priorities. I'd rather expand my skills in photography, come to think of it, or maybe even golf ;-), both would be more fun and make me far more in the long run.

Jul 31, 10 9:44 am  · 
 · 
whyARCH?

trace- how would golf make you far more in the long run?

Do you have some tiger woods skills hiding in the closet?

Jul 31, 10 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Because the majority of my larger-player clients play golf. I've been honestly shocked at how many play. Just a good thing to know for networking.

Jul 31, 10 1:02 pm  · 
 · 

hey, thanks donna.. you remembered that. whenever i tell my story, i inspire people to get their license. i must have successfully motivated a dozen people start to take their exams which some of them already completed and some soon to complete.. and those are the ones i personally know...
a license really worth it big time!
i agree with mantaray. these exams 'are' (no pun) not hard at all. all you have to do is commit to them and start taking.
i did it after all those years because one day i realized, i needed to call my practice "architecture." and i did not want to call myself "sort of architect" and go on explaining why it is not necessary for residential work, which is bulk of my practice, yada yada yada..
you are not an architect unless you have a license hanging in your office and on it, under your name, it says;
"NON-TRANSFERABLE---POST IN PUBLIC VIEW"
don't associate your age or any other personal excuse stuff with it. just associate yourself with the license, title and what it means.
it means this in california:

Architects Practice Act

Business and Professions Code
Chapter 3, Division 3

Article 1. General Provisions

§ 5500 Architect Defined

As used in this chapter, architect means a person who is licensed to practice architecture in this state under the authority of this chapter.

§ 5500.1 Practice of Architecture Defined

(a) The practice of architecture within the meaning and intent of this chapter is defined as offering or performing, or being in responsible control of, professional services which require the skills of an architect in the planning of sites, and the design, in whole or in part, of buildings, or groups of buildings and structures.

(b) Architects' professional services may include any or all of the following:

(1) Investigation, evaluation, consultation, and advice.
(2) Planning, schematic and preliminary studies, designs, working drawings, and specifications.
(3) Coordination of the work of technical and special consultants.
(4) Compliance with generally applicable codes and regulations, and
assistance in the governmental review process.
(5) Technical assistance in the preparation of bid documents and agreements between clients and contractors.
(6) Contract administration.
(7) Construction observation.

(c) As a condition for licensure, architects shall demonstrate a basic level of competence in the professional services listed in subdivision (b) in examinations administered under this chapter.

Jul 31, 10 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I'm with you, trace. By the considerable amount of time, money, and effort, you'd think taking the exams would have a decent return on those efforts. At least as much as learning to golf! Not being in practice anymore, it is obvious that you are soooo right! Probably wouldn't look that way from the inside though, I'd still be going for it. But I'm so glad I'm not, and now I'm learning tons of new stuff, like foreign language, business management, and bookkeeping instead of overworking that architecture muscle beyond anything I could ever use. The hard part about architecture isn't the stamp getting anyways, it is the client getting. I feel bad about letting my stuff expire, but I can't justify it when I can learn and accomplish so much NOT following that path.

Jul 31, 10 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

well, yeah, if you're not going to be an architect, don't bother, of course. but otherwise, see orhan above. :-)

Jul 31, 10 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
whyARCH?

well then you definitely don't wanna pull a woods and beat your clients at golf.

Jul 31, 10 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

sorry my last comment sucked and was totally selfish. I mean: do it and get it over with because it is not worth avoiding or delaying!!!

Aug 2, 10 9:32 am  · 
 · 
cyberpunk10

Well, I spoke with the administrator for the ARE in my state and the situation is pretty much as I expected. I have to take the IDP as well as retake all of the exams I previously took because the exams I took don't align with the current ARE 3.0 structure.

So know I have to decide if I want to go through all of that process again. I'm going to do some soul searching and try to find if it is all worth it for me. If I do want to take it, I have to be serious and completely dedicate myself to taking all of the exams as quickly as possible. No more procrastinating and no more excuse. Like I said, I am asking myself if it is worth it. Right now I'm 50/50.

Aug 4, 10 1:53 pm  · 
 · 

It is increasingly becoming relevant in residential architecture that the potential clients want to hire licensed professionals.
Don't believe it otherwise. There are few reasons influencing this and they are not necessarily coming from a legislative action either.
Last decade or so, one of the first things people want to know is, whether or not I have an architect's license. This was less of a priority question twenty years ago, when design and/or remodeling of custom homes were concerned.

Aug 4, 10 6:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: