Archinect
anchor

Responding to Job Rejection Email

Caryatid15

Yesterday, I was fortunate enough to be interviewed (in person) for a corporate design company. I know I made it very clear that my experience was aligned with the vacancy. The interviewers told me that they will contact me the next day (today) after speaking to their CFO and other conference calls. I sent thank you emails to both interviewers, clarifying certain concerns and providing additional information that I believe makes me a strong candidate for the vacancy.

TODAY, I received a rejection letter, which I suppose is a canned response for ALL candidates:

Hi! XYZS and I wanted to thank you for taking the time to participate in the phone call with us today. We regret to inform you that we have filled the designer position in our office. We wish the best of luck to you.

I emailed the person back and thanked her for MEETING with me YESTERDAY. I also asked for feedback as to how I may possibly improve etch. I also emailed the other interviewer, asking for feedback as well. Tomorrow, I will mail out a thank you for the opportunity-slash-hope-you-consider-me-for-future-vacancies letter.

I'm not quite sure if I responded appropriately. I don't know if I just shoved the minor mistake/clerical error to their faces by making it clear that they MET with me YESTERDAY - -and that just further destroyed my chances. Although it's highly UNLIKELY, I'm hoping it's a clerical error and they MAY reconsider me...Or they may just call me should another vacancy open up or should the successful applicant turn out to be, uhm, less favorable than expected....

This is the first time I am 101% confident about a particular job. My past experience mirrors this job because as far as I know, my former employer based his system on THIS company's system. Their projects are in China - - all of the past projects I've handled and/or been involved in were in the same region. They were also looking for someone with vendor contacts in the Asia-Pacific...I made it clear to them, that I have worked with some of the best in the region.

Any feedback? I'll still continue with my job search, obviously, but ultimately, I want to work for this company in the future.

Jul 28, 10 2:07 am
Paradox

I think you sent an appropriate response.I wouldn't expect feedback on where you made a mistake(possible lawsuit risk) therefore how to improve your next interviews though.

If you got the canned response you probably did a mistake somewhere and scared them and god knows what that was..or maybe it was because of office politics.Anyway.I'd suggest contacting them in a couple of months because the first 3 months is the probation period so if they don't like the new guy/gal you may have a good chance to replace him/her if you follow up with them.Add them to your network contacts.It is always good to network with people even if they don't hire you.Good luck.

Jul 28, 10 2:17 am  · 
 · 

Since the possibility of a clerical error DOES exist, I think your response was appropriate. If you worked for them, they would WANT you to be mindful of clerical errors that might cost them tons of money, right?

Good luck.

Jul 28, 10 9:43 am  · 
 · 
med.

These exist all the time. I once interviewed with a firm in Baltimore and then sent them a 'thank you' email for the opportunity to interview with them.

They sent me back a FORWARD from the guy who interviewed me to the secretary to another clerical person and I saw the entire chain of email. It was a pretty bad clerical fuck up and looked extremely unprofessional on their end. This is what it looked like

Email Title: "NO INTERVIEW NO THANK YOU"

"Secretary, Can you please send this individual the letter denying him of any future employment and inverviews" thanks.

Then it went on to give me the canned response.

This annoyed me and I was shocked with the lack of professionalism. I responded back asking them if they intended on sending me the entire chain of emails. Apparently some other people in my school got the same thing.

I got a response from the president of that firm stating how deeply sorry she was and that "action was taken."

Jul 28, 10 10:32 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

I don't for a moment wish to excuse what happened to either Caryatid15 or to med. However, I would like to point out that - strictly from the perspective of firms - we're all simply overwhelmed right now by candidates seeking work. This occurrence is taking place at a time when our own staff levels are low. Firms are faced with a choice between not replying at all or using standardized response techniques deployed by lower level administrative staff.

in such situations, unfortunate things can happen and they are rarely, if ever, what senior management in the firm wants to happen. It is made doubly worse because the people on the receiving end of our mistakes already are highly anxious, vulnerable and extra sensitive to the slightest hint of mistreatment.

While I don't condone these mistakes and make every possible effort to avoid making them myself, perhaps it might help to understand the context in which the mistakes are happening and trying to cut the offending party just a little slack.

At least you got a response -- which, if some of the posts on here are to be believed, is a relatively rare occurrence these days.

Jul 28, 10 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I really hate when a job ad expects the utmost professionalism...

And you get a form letter in return. Not just any form letter... but a form letter with a personalized email signature like:

JOHN D. SUTTERTING

You shall have one law for the alien and for the citizen: for I am the Lord your God. -- Leviticus 24:22

[b]Before you print this e-mail, please consider the environment![/b[

Jul 28, 10 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

I would chalk it up to a clerical error and not take it personally

Especially now, when every open position must recieve 10X the amount of qualified to over-qualified candidates, i bet firms are quite over-run when responding

I wouldnt think that makes it any easier to take when looking for work, but try to understand that there is a 99% chance it wasnt a personal attack or meant to purposefully offend

Jul 28, 10 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
207moak

good point well stated quizz

Jul 28, 10 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
med.

The experience I'm refering to took place way before the recession and everyone was hiring. I did not take it personally as I had several other firm offers at that time

It definitely demonstrated a total lack of professionalism and there was no excuse for that kind of screw-up. I don't bame the firm -- as it was just the admin person who made the screw-up.

Jul 30, 10 10:30 am  · 
 · 
Caryatid15

I get that people make errors, but I think the general (job hunting) public has the right to expect the same amount of "professionalism" and courtesy from these companies or representatives of it (in this case admin) - - projects or not. The email I got MAY be excusable, but the one med. received is not acceptable in any way. Emails like that can leave (disappointed, frustrated, possibly disgruntled) job applicants with an impression - - "how can THEY hire someone that dumb, if not CARELESS?"

Setting that aside, what are the chances of being called in again for reconsideration in the future if you already have been "rejected"??? I do intend to touch base three months from now...*just in case*

Jul 30, 10 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

As I've learned from working at six or seven firms over the past 15 years (and interviewing at probably 20) the interview process is a microcosm for how the firm operates.

If they are rude, then the firm will most likely be disrespectful. If they are secretive, then expect the firm to be secretive. If they are scatterbrained, it's likely that the firm will be disorganized. This interview-as-firm-microcosm theory has proven true EVERY time I've accepted a job. The things that worry me in the interview turn out to be exactly the reasons that I eventually leave.

(In one interview a few years ago with Callison in Seattle, they actually spent ten minutes of a 30 minute interview explaining how the firm won't tolerate theft from their company. What led them to think that I was a potential thief is beyond me. I got an offer, but turned it down.)

So, Caryatid, I wouldn't worry about it. Trust your gut and move on.

Jul 31, 10 11:29 am  · 
 · 
otis151

Caryatid15 don't be discouraged by this experience as you may not know what's going on behind the scenes. It is possible that the person you spoke with wanted to hire you and some computerized HR personality or robotic executive VP felt there was something lacking. If you feel that the interview went well and you have something to build on, check in with the company and person you spoke with from time to time and see if they are hiring. The force behind your rejection could leave the company or be fired and its important to keep the contact if you really want to work for them.

An example....I interviewed for a job with a super large corporate firm in New York almost two years ago. The studio director for the NY office wanted to hire me but I had to interview with the hiring manager from the district office first. That second interview did not go well because the district manager had some serious personality issues and I suspect was in opposition to the type of design education I had received in grad school. I received a very generic rejection letter shortly after the second interview from the head of the ny office who WANTED to hire me during the interview process but couldn't because of the negative recommendation from the district hiring bozo.

Fast forward 2 years.....District hiring manager is gone (his office was downsized) and all that's left is the ny office studio manager who now has no hiring restrictions. Work comes pouring into the NYC office. Studio manager calls me and offers me a job now that he finally can do it 2 years later. The lesson here would be to keep in contact with everyone because circumstances always change and even if you get rejected, you could still get hired sometime in the future if you really are a good fit for the position. Hiring is very subjective so don't let a standard (dry) rejection letter discourage you as this is probably just standard procedure for the type of firm you're interviewing with.

Jul 31, 10 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
elwood p suggs

Thought I would share a recent experience-

I recently went through an exasperating 5 month process with a public redevlopment agency that was seeking an Architect. Here's the recap:

The initial field of 150 was narrowed first to 12, with each of the 12 giving a 30 minute presentation of 2 projects, that followed by 30 minute q + a. They then narrowed the field to 3 of us, and the next round consisted of 3 consecutive one hour interviews with three different departments, (in a single morning) represented by two individuals each. All of these interviews were followed up with the requisuite thank yous on my part.

A month and half passed before myself and one other individual were summoned to meet the deputy director, the final interview. I was told at that time a decision would be made in a week, it was now over 4 months since the advertisement for the job had closed. I was on pins and needles the week leading up to Memorial Day, would this be the end of a year and half of un/under-employment.

And............. the week came and went, as did the next one. I e-mailed the deputy director to check in at the end of week #2, no response (never did get one), and another week passed. Finally, I e-mailed the human resources person who had been coordinating the scheduling all along, and she responded immediately, promising that I would have an answer by the end of that day. It was a Wednesday morning- finally I thought, one way or the other, I shall know. That day came and went, as did Thursday and Friday. I resigned myself to it carrying on into the following week.. Finally, while out out for a run on Saturday, I returned home to a voicemail- again, on a Saturday- telling me I didn't get the job.

After 5 months, 5 interviews, a voicemail on a Saturday. After all of the time spent, finishing second, I would think, at best, if its a voicemail ,ask me to call them at my earliest convenience. And mind you, this was not a harried architect clueless about the right way to handle these things, this was human resources- this is their job. But she was obviously hopeful of not having to speak with me, and she lucked out (wise to choose Saturday afternoon). One finally indignity, she prefaced her message to me by complaining about having to work on a Saturday. Yes, poor thing, I 18 months out of full-time work, feel for you.

And then 10 days later, my father died, which quickly put all the exasperation over the episode in perspective.

Fortunately, I think it was all for the best. I recently scored two projects of my own, so instead of toiling in a place, that based on my experience, I would have likely been miserable at, I am working for myself, and, despite missing my father every moment, am mercifully busy now, and am grateful as to how it all went down.

Jul 31, 10 10:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: