Archinect
anchor

There needs to be an ANTI-WORK-FOR-FREE MOVEMENT. BOYCOTT NO-PAY FIRMS!!!

Hawkin

I found this funny on the NY job offer:

"If you have your own laptop with programs you like to work with a specific program, that is great".

No matter what.

Aug 24, 10 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

Just saw this in a job posting and made me laugh:

"This position is unpaid but we'll make you coffee."

Aug 24, 10 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
plugnpla

Robert Segal!

Aug 24, 10 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

to mr_minnesota's original point, I do know of some professors who actually pay recent grads to work on their projects, so it should not be said that all post-graduation work for instructors is unpaid. In fact, I only know of one case where one particular (and particularly obnoxious) professor asks his people to work for low wages by dressing up his work opportunities as fellowships or some other form of "award." And he's not that particularly good either.

I suspect some of these arrangements are as much charity (or helpfulness) on the part of professors than it is an intent to exploit un- or under-employed young grads... find some minimal amount of money (if possible) and some odd project that doesn't really have to be done in order to sustain a good student-professor relationship during hard times. If a professor asks you to collaborate, with a great deal of creative license and credit, on an unpaid competition, and you're unemployed and hanging around campus anyway 'cause you have nowhere else to go/move to, is that really such a bad thing? You get a portfolio piece with the (hopefuilly respected) professor's name on it and creative input. The professor may not get much of anything at all. personally, other than kudos from her peers for helping you out and name presence in some competition that she doesn't have a chance in heck of prevailing in 'cause she's not a firm. with firm resources.

Aug 25, 10 10:00 am  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

that seems to be valid, urbanist --- a less than ideal opportunity is still an opportunity, and in times like these, it can count for a lot --- so long as one knows their own limits --- i'm working on several small projects right now for various faculty members -- no one is paying me in cash, but in exchange I have been given a great office, a faculty member bought me $1000 worth of software that I need for my research, I've been given training and access to some special CNC rapid prototyping equipment without paying in cash to use it, and they are helping me develop connections to find funding for my project and hopefully to turn the work I'm doing for them into my own freelance work

Aug 25, 10 11:53 am  · 
 · 
dmccarch

check out this jack ass...

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/egr/1920467839.html

Aug 26, 10 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
Digital_Sandbox

^^^--Wow. maybe next they'll put out an ad that will look for someone to go to interviews for them as well. Must be modern. The nerve of some of these people.

Aug 27, 10 2:55 am  · 
 · 
Urbanist

well, that's grostesque. someone should click the "prohibited" or "spam" buttons on craigslist.. repeatedly, on that one. Surely, you can't solicit work on craigslist when the intent of the work is specifically to let the employer commit fraud?

Aug 27, 10 5:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: