Archinect
anchor

Getting your first Internship/Job

gillicsj

I am a recent graduate with a BS in Architecture. I have never had an internship and do not have any experience working in any architectural setting. I realize that having no experience is not ideal in today's work environment, so I am completely open to having the opportunity to shadow someone at a firm and learn as much as I can to gain some sort of knowledge of what goes on in the real world.

I have been emailing and sending out resumes/portfolios to firms in my area, hoping to land something. One firm I would really like to work at (Their views on architecture and how it affects people and the environment are the same as my own) happens to be my high-school classmates father's. Their website does not have any sort of indication that they are seeking help, but I did send in a hopeful letter to them anyway. So far, there has been no reply. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to grab a copy of my resume and portfolio, walking in and talking to somebody there just to get my name passed around to see what comes of it would be a good idea. However, since I graduated high-school with the principal architect's daughters, (And was known as a very nice, smart young man) it was mentioned to me that a good idea might be to simply talk to them and see if they could put in a word for me. 

I figured that since I am not exactly looking for a job, but more of an internship/shadow opportunity (Obviously internship/job would be better, but i'll take what I can get) that both of these ideas wouldn't be too bad and couldn't hurt. However, before I attempt either, I was looking for opinions on which might be better to do, or if I should just forget about that firm all together.

Thank you!

May 19, 14 10:22 pm
C. Watts
Going in person to hand in a resume is always better and so is knowing someone on the inside. I was in the same position as you were last year and it took me all summer to land a job (not an internship or shadowing). You clearly have passion and enthusiasm so be sure to show that in any cover letters or interviews.

And yes, you should contact your old friend from high school and see what comes of it. Worst thing that could happen is it doesn't work out and you keep looking. You can always check back towards the end of the summer too when the summer interns are leaving. Don't hesitate to continue contacting an office that you applied to or had an interview with from months earlier. I was able to land my job because I had a connection and I called back at the end of the summer to let them know I was still interested and wanted to be there (had interview during early summer).

IMO you should be trying to get an internship at the very least. Shadowing is for high school kids. You have a degree and most likely worked hard for it, so don't degrade yourself to shadowing just because you have no prior office experience. I didn't have any either.
May 19, 14 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
Yui1493

I am currently studying architecture, I just finished my second year out of three last semester. I am in the same kind of situation that you are. I've heard by many people who found a job and architects that the key to success is to have as much contacts and relationships ( professional ones) that you can so you make yourself known.

I think the best thing to do is to send a e-mail and to call in order to have a meeting the person responsible to hire new personnel - I did and it didn't work very well. If you received no reply within 1-2 weeks, you should go in person to try to have a meeting with somebody. At this moment, you can explain that it's not only because you want to have a job, but just because you want to start meeting architects and people in this field of work, people you might work with in the future, especially since you have recently graduated. Be prepared, have your portfolio and CV with you, discuss and prove that you can do the work, that you have passion and that you are worth being hired. At the very least, the person will know who you are and it's the first step to building your name as a professional.

Another advice I received many times and has proven to be working is to show your profound interest into the firm, that it is not only a firm among any other. Send many e-mail, call to demonstrate your interest for this firm, and to make sure that the portfolio and the CV that you handed or sent by e-mail the week before was properly received and transferred to the right person.  It's also a way to prove that you are a serious person. Sometimes the documents are lost or the message was never delivered.  Even if you received a negative answer, at least you were answered, which is a good start and which also tells about the firm itself.

When I tried to get a job and to meet architects, it happened a few times I faced people who weren't very nice to me. My solution was not to contact them the year after. Be positive that you will find a firm that will appreciate your talent and your work.

I hope it helped you a little!

May 20, 14 12:01 am  · 
 · 
bugsmetoo

Network. Find a local organization or ask that person you know. Even old professors or classmates who have their foot in or around the industry. What you're doing is basically pestering a business, which is not the same as following up or asking a connection to help you out. The hiring person or whoever your stuff gets passed to is usually the last place they look for anyone and by then it's been around the circle that so and so is looking for a replacement. 

Get a connection. Don't think about whether it leads to your ideal place or not.

May 20, 14 1:58 am  · 
 · 
Best advice I got: treat looking for a job as a full time job. If you aren't spending 40 hours/week, you aren't trying hard enough.
May 20, 14 8:28 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

It is 100% about networking. Don't waste time cold-calling or sending resumes to info@ or careers@ e-mail addresses. Get involved in your local architecture community, go to AIA events, volunteer, whatever it takes to meet people in the industry. 

It sounds like you have a leg up in knowing this classmate. Try to see if she can get you some time with her father, not to apply for a job, but to sit down and listen and LEARN his ideas on architecture, design, building, etc... 

I would be very careful about taking resumes in person to any office who does not have a job posting up specifically asking for one. Most job postings now include a caveat that "No calls or drop-in candidates will be considered, send resumes to this e-mail...."

Which is just a single symptom of a very sick architecture industry...

May 20, 14 9:39 am  · 
 · 
empee

i got my first internship by dropping off a portfolio and telling them i would be back in a week to pick it up = scheduling my own interview.

although 50% of the places never even looked at it - but what do you have to lose ? dealing with a dirty look from reception ?

(networking helps a lot though. learn.)

May 20, 14 9:45 am  · 
 · 
Everyone here is giving great advice. Here is my advice. Looking for work is your full-time job right now. 9 to 5, get up and dress the part, walk into you top choice architecture firms and ask to talk to some about internships or at the very least someone who can give you a better insight on the firm culture.

After the meeting go to a coffee shop and write down your notes from the meeting.

Then do it again.

Take a break at Noon, because everyone else is too.

Don't for get leave your Personal Business card, resume and even a coverletter.

Take it as practice every time and you'll get better. Be direct and specific about who you want to talk to and know what you want to gain from working at the firm. Know your strengths and weaknesses. Understand what kind of work load and responsibility their have.

It's always best to find out which work place is right for you rather than weeks into the internship.
May 20, 14 11:23 am  · 
 · 
jdparnell1218

Check your local chapter AIA and CSI websites.  More than likely they will have a job posting board that you could use to see what firms are hiring.  You're getting a good bit of help from people posting above so I don't think I can add much more.  Good luck.  Getting your first internship is half the battle.  Once you've got your foot in the door, it becomes much easier to find employment.

May 20, 14 1:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: