Archinect
anchor

Q: connection between steel column with reinforced concrete core

cmrhm

Though involved with several high rise building design and CD works, I still not sure about the connection between steel columns with reinforced concrete core.

Does the link depict the right way to do it? See 7.
http://www.fgg.uni-lj.si/kmk/esdep/master/wg11/l0500.htm

Jul 22, 10 3:28 pm
Rusty!

Your link shows a number of valid ways of connecting a beam to a vertical shear wall.

To find out which connection type is the most appropriate for the given load design, wait for the first draft of structural CD's to come back to your desk. It really is an engineering item best left untouched by architects.

You can also call your engineer, but make sure you call before 5pm, and do expect a mostly mumbling response. There!

Jul 22, 10 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Yup, this is an engineering connection. The amount and type of load on the connection will determine how it is designed and how large it needs to be. Your link has the right idea.

Aug 18, 10 10:58 am  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Thank you guys.

Aug 18, 10 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
erjonsn

that's it? let the engineer do it? that's not the right answer...

Aug 19, 10 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Really %%%%%?

I'm an Engineer, and I've been on the design team for several buildings with this structural system, and this is how we do it. You know, letting the Engineers design the engineering connections...

What is your method?

Aug 19, 10 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

@5x%: yes that's the right answer. You are not legally qualified to design that connection. Even if you fully understood structural load analysis I doubt you'd have the time to do it between stair section-ing and toilet layout-ing.

You are always welcome to try it though. Expect a nice pat on your head and a lollipop from the structural guy...

Aug 19, 10 8:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: