Archinect
anchor

OMA partner quits to set up new practice

watchdog

OMA partner quits to set up new practice
3 March, 2010

By Anna Winston BD-Online

OMA partner Ole Scheeren has confirmed he is leaving the practice to set up his own practice.

A statement on OMA’s website confirmed Scheeren’s departure after 15 years as a partner at the famous Dutch firm.

Scheeren had been overseeing the OMA’s projects in the Far East, and was responsible for the design of the iconic CCTV and TVCC buildings in Beijing as well as a number of projects for fashion house Prada.

"My collaboration with Rem Koolhaas and OMA has been an extraordinary experience – we have generated some remarkable projects both in East Asia and North America,” said Scheeren.

“The time has now come for me to pursue new opportunities, and I am very excited about this next phase of my work."

The name and location of his new studio has yet to be confirmed, but Scheeren has also accepted a post as visiting professor at Hong Kong University.

OMA has confirmed that it will still go ahead with the expansion of its Hong Kong office, which will now be managed alongside the Beijing office by OMA Asia general manager David Gianotten.

“I am personally looking forward to furthering OMA's activities in Asia," said Koolhaas.

Read more: http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=3159113&origin=BDdaily#ixzz0h6xxcMGr

Mar 3, 10 6:19 am
aspect

what is the statistics of career prospect for ppl leaving OMA? except zaha many seemed to disappear from the scene.

Mar 3, 10 9:11 pm  · 
 · 

many of the people who define the scene are ex OMA. BIG MVRDV, Jean Gang, etc. zaha is just one of the older units.

non europeans may not know but there is also xavier de guyter, arons and gelauff, Kees Christiaanse

there are many more. oma is like behrens but more so (behrens had le corbusier walter gropius and mies van der rohe working for him. mart stam too, if my memory is right)

Mar 3, 10 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
chisloopee

aspect, not sure on exact statistics from people leaving oma, but it is a serious launching pad.

just off the top of my head there is prince ramus at rex, big and jds.

check out this article and scroll to the bottom (if the link doesn't work sorry, have never posted a link before)

[url=http://www.iconeye.com/index.php?view=article&catid=403:+ICON-058-april-2008&layout=default&id=3370:the-20-essential-young-architects&option=com_content]

Mar 3, 10 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
IamGray

Yeah...

FOA
Zaha
MVRDV
REX
WORK AC
JDS
BIG
Hosoya Schaefer
X de Geyter
ICE
Sauerbruch Hutton

.....Plus a couple handfuls of other little offices most of us have never heard of.

Whether it's a coincidence or not, many a successful architect have started their career with OMA.

Mar 4, 10 6:41 am  · 
 · 

another: spacegroup

were mecanoo folks OMA alums? they seem to be coming from a similar place in some of the early work, but maybe it was just something in the dutch air.

Mar 4, 10 7:15 am  · 
 · 
aspect

thanks chisloopee for the link, however the 20 essential young architects seems like doing the same thing graphically, may be coming from the same place.

Mar 4, 10 7:21 am  · 
 · 
fays.panda

its also not a 1 to 1 comparison between someone who was partner when he left them and others who are relatively young at the time of their departure

Mar 4, 10 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

fays made a good point, most of the young ones were juz stopping by, while is quite rare for a partner to leave, more of a business venture than pursue of architecture.

Mar 4, 10 10:13 pm  · 
 · 

The ex-OMA are so important in defining the atmosphere of international architecture that I devoted 2 lectures to them. A near complete list

MVRDV
Zaha Hadid
NL architects
FOA
Xaveer de Geyter
Monolab
Julian Montfort
Space Group
REX NY
Studio Gang
RAD
Mass Studies
Sauerbruch Hutton
Gigon/Guyer
KCAP
Neutelings Riedijk
Urban Lab
Shrinking Cities
Hackenbroich Architekten
Tina Manis Architecture
LAR
Work AC
Xpekt
Galia Solomonoff Architecture
Touraine + Richmond
Hosoya Schaefer
99ic
Buro Moscow
BIG
JDS
Coda
Artgineering
Scape
Notoscale
Mos
Park
Fun dc
TD
STAR
Kim Young-Joon
Studio n-1
Xaveer de Geyter
Peter Pran
Lab Studio
Archi-Tectonics
Metrogramma
Ian+
Uni-A

missing from WallPaper's list

SUPERPOOL

and now

Ole Scheeren

Mar 4, 10 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
mean prank riverbank

WW Architecture (witte & whiting)

Mar 5, 10 12:01 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

So... is the office up and running yet? More importantly, when do they start hiring?

Mar 9, 10 4:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: