Archinect
anchor

how to subvert the culture of pretentious bullshit at my school?

0e8r0908

Perhaps I was a fool not to expect the blindly faithful among my peers at a southern school but there has to be some way of making people face reality. I mean these people are going to actually build shit one day.

Nov 16, 13 4:25 pm

Can you post an example? Not of work, but of what someone has said *about* work?

Nov 16, 13 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

obviously, if you can't beat them, join them.  go be pretentious.  all the cool kids are doing it.

Nov 16, 13 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Not many end up actually building much in the end. The real world is good at weeding out incompetence, unless you work in government.

Nov 16, 13 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

just be subversive, let other people do what they gonna do and laugh.

Nov 16, 13 5:25 pm  · 
 · 

Call it out.

Then change majors before it's too late.

Nov 16, 13 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Miles, Miles, Miles.  One time I asked why we all took up architecture, and you said it was in the genes.  Maybe it is for this kid in the OP, and that a change of majors is not an option.  In a way, my dad's being a tailor made it genetic for me, too.  After all, an architect is sort of a tailor with a highbrow sheepskin, that gets even more highbrow with where one goes to school and if a starchitect employs them to make their coffee.

OP, don't point out people's ridiculous designs.  I saw shit that was sculpture more so than a building and I saw shit that looked like concrete warehouses outside of Phoenix or Las Vegas.  There is increasing filtering as time goes by.  The market, and the portfolio one accumulates, take care of that.

Be yourself and have fun.  I hear this "oh my God, the design studio is sooooh stressful" and these kinds of comments, both when in school and on here.  How so?  How could doing what you want to do be stressful?  Sure, finishing the elaborate graphics and elaborate models is indeed stressful, but not designing, that is, if that's what drew you into architecture.  Actually, it's your HVAC or structures class that are more stressful, because there is only ONE answer. 

Is the problem that these people are designing trendy, derivative, overly sculptural, and flaming shit or that they're designing generally vapid and clueless shit?  What seems to be the problem?

Nov 16, 13 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

The real world filters out most of the bullshit from academia. But then again there's another level of bullshit to deal with it in practice, just less pretty pictures. 

Nov 16, 13 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
observant

The real world filters out most of the bullshit from academia. But then again there's another level of bullshit to deal with it in practice, just less pretty pictures.

The OP shouldn't complain.  The bullshit in academia is easier.  It's amazing at how much bluffing goes on, unless the project is truly terrible and not salvageable.  It's harder to snow someone in the work world, nor should one even want to or expect to.

Nov 16, 13 9:09 pm  · 
 · 

ob, it's in my genes.

I literally grew up in an architect's office. I came home from school to a working office with draftsmen. On weekends I went to job sites with my father.

Nov 16, 13 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

it's in my jeans too.  when i put on my jeans this morning, there was an architect in my jeans.

then i promptly thought better of it and put on flannel pants that match the color of my football team.

Nov 16, 13 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
observant

ob, it's in my genes.

I literally grew up in an architect's office. I came home from school to a working office with draftsmen. On weekends I went to job sites with my father.

I fully understand that and you've posted your dad's projects and family photos.

What I was getting at is that an interest in architecture can be whetted by parents who are in an allied profession, even construction (like one of the Hardy, Holman, Pfeiffer partners), a creative profession, or being a craftsman or artisan.  The value system is similar.  There is an emphasis on craftsmanship in the household.

Nov 16, 13 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

become Frank Gehry, go on the lecture circuit, then spend the entire time talking about how you did stuff "because I thought it looked kinda neat."  I know this is the long game, but it's your best bet.

Nov 16, 13 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

OP you sound just as irritating as the asshats you're complaining about. Don't you have an ayn rand book to finish? Not knowing you from Adam, I could be wrong, but I'm a betting man.

Nov 17, 13 10:08 am  · 
 · 

you can't do much about the work that's produced: to each his own. 

but if the discussion gets to opaque, just say 'i don't know what you mean,' until it comes out in a way that means something relevant. 

(note: i'm not picking on those who use difficult vocabulary. if the language is used correctly, 10 cent words are OK by me!) 

Nov 17, 13 11:48 am  · 
 · 

^ Good way to call it out.

Nov 17, 13 11:59 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

great advice, Steven Ward

Nov 17, 13 12:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: