Archinect
anchor

rhino export to 3D Studio Max

thenew

Hey everyone. I am modeling in Rhino, and I am wondering what is the best way to export my model into 3ds Max (v9) for rendering purposes. As far as I know, my options are .iges, .obj, and .3ds. Which is best?

Also, any tips for exporting would be great (file prepping, etc). Thank you!

Jul 5, 08 1:58 am
FOG Lite

I've had good luck with dxf in the past as it retains layers. Otherwise doing it layer by layer with 3ds or 0bj works fairly well.

Jul 5, 08 9:34 am  · 
 · 
allSTAR

Save As a 3ds file and open it in max

Jul 5, 08 10:36 am  · 
 · 
PodZilla

Layer by layer is best, I like using .3ds as it's the native max format. Doing it by layer also lets you keep everything nice and organized like it is in Rhino, unless you're one of those philistines who doesn't model with layers!

Jul 5, 08 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
thenew

If you import the rhino model as a 3ds file, layer by layer, will the layers all be imported into the correct place, or will they have to be re-fit and moved around?

Thanks!

Jul 5, 08 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

save as .dwg in rhino. works perfect for me.

Jul 5, 08 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
archfix

Can you sen me the preset you have, because when i export the dwg file to 3dsmax its very triangulated

Jan 4, 19 7:53 am  · 
 · 
PodZilla

As long as you don't move them around, everything should export/import relative to the origin in both the rhino and max files. This works when bringing dwg's in as well, the origins for both file types are the same.

Jul 6, 08 12:56 am  · 
 · 
remonio

npowertranslators works great

http://www.npowersoftware.com/

Jul 6, 08 1:09 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

what in max makes you not stay in the 1 horned beast ride?

there is a script that automatically saves out the layers search around on the newsgroup

Jul 7, 08 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: