Archinect
anchor

Any good biographies/autobiographies?

zoolander

Just wondering if there are any suggestions of biographies/autobiographies of architects?

May 2, 08 8:59 am

Bucky Fuller

May 2, 08 9:12 am  · 
 · 
mespellrong

peter blake wrote a book called "No Place Like Utopia" which is sort of an autobiography and sort of a list of stories bout the famous architects he knew. It's kind of pompous, but I really enjoyed it.

May 2, 08 9:16 am  · 
 · 
zoolander

One I have read is Nathinel Owings of SOM fame.

Quite an eye opener I must say.

May 2, 08 10:18 am  · 
 · 
207moak

Borromini by Anthony Blunt was a good read.

May 2, 08 10:46 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Bruce Goff

http://www.bruce-goff-film.com/en/english.html

May 2, 08 10:51 am  · 
 · 
iamsam

I had 'Master Builders' as required text for a history class -- covers Mies, FLW, and Corbu, and I enjoyed it if you're not tired of reading about those guys

May 2, 08 11:21 am  · 
 · 
sunsetsam

This really isn't an autobiography but it's close:

"Conversation with I.M. Pei: Light is the Key" by Gero Von Boehm (he interviews pei).

The book isn't that long, took me about 1.5 - 2 hours to finish, but I loved it.

May 2, 08 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

most recent biography that i can recall reading was about philip johnson and i definitely found it to be enjoyable. i don't recall the author's name off the top of my head but it probably wouldn't be too difficult to look up

May 2, 08 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

There is a good one on Oscar Niemeyer.....It is priceless!

May 2, 08 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

I don't read. I really enjoyed the movie, My Architect, which really isn't a biography.

May 2, 08 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
c

-bump- would love to more rec's, and not exclusively architects.

enjoyed & would recommend : 

Paperboy - Confessions of a Future Engineer ( Henry Petroski)

Jun 16, 17 1:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: