Archinect
anchor

GSD conference on social/environmental justice

Design Corps

The “Systems for Inclusion” conference will explore the interface of design and systemic social action: Can design(ers) challenge globally networked systems of exclusivity and inequality? What are the relationships between design and political power, economic and ecological sustainability, justice and community?

April 4-6, 2008 at the Harvard University Graduate School of Design.

http://www.designcorps.org/SFI_Conference.htm

Feb 21, 08 10:34 am

Sounds interesting...

to bad i am not anywher enear the NE....

Feb 21, 08 10:58 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

I'll try and stop by for the day as I'm doing a workshop at Drexel that weekend. I know there is a AFH chapter meeting happening during the confab.

Cheers
C.

Feb 21, 08 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

thanks for posting this - I'm definitely planning on going.

Feb 21, 08 2:39 pm  · 
 · 

I'm planning on being there since its down the street.

Feb 21, 08 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

ALSO,

www.gsd.harvard.edu/soca

SFI CALL FOR PAPERS

Call for Papers and Media: Students and professionals are encouraged to submit papers, media and projects that engage this year's SFI theme of design agency and "systems" for inclusion. Selected papers will be published in the upcoming online GSD student-run journal, re:

AND

April 3 OUR COMMUNITIES: FUTUREPRESENT
A symposium and initiative to increase diversity in the design professions.
Download registration form (deadline 2/29/08) ∙ studentfaculty/professional

Feb 22, 08 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
nightrain

These SFI conferences are a rare opportunity to see the best that's up in social/public/community design. I've gone several times and will be there for this. Looking forward to Teddy Cruz and Jim Diers.

Feb 27, 08 9:06 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

Cameron, what kind of workshop at Drexel are you doing? I know about the lecture on that Thursday. I just got an e-mail regarding SFI 8 since I've been to one before and I'm interested in going, but I'll stick around in Philly if you're doing something interesting.

Feb 27, 08 9:37 am  · 
 · 

roll call?

Mar 31, 08 9:26 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

Pixel- I'll be there - send me a PM if you want to meet up. I'll probably try to get together with the AFH group (even though I don't know anyone and haven't been to a meeting in a few years).

Apr 1, 08 10:37 am  · 
 · 
nightrain

Conference is sold out. Sorry that walk-ins cannot be accomodated.

Apr 1, 08 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
andytee

I'll be there.

Apr 1, 08 6:11 pm  · 
 · 

I usually stand out in the architecture crowd: pierced septum and 1" lobes w/ wooden tunnels, so if anyone sees me please say hi.

Apr 1, 08 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

anyone else find it ironic that the GSD is hosting this thing?

Apr 2, 08 10:53 am  · 
 · 

not really toaster there is a good group of students here at the GSD seriously working on these issues. The faculty and administration have also been supporting these efforts.

You can see:

My studio this semester:
http://www.archinect.com/schoolblog/entry.php?id=70598_0_39_0_C345
the pK project:
http://archinect.com/features/article.php?id=65752_0_23_0_M
the lowell project:
http://72.167.142.101/article.php?article_id=59
Teddy Cruz's lecture last month:
http://www.archinect.com/schoolblog/entry.php?id=72357_0_39_0_C345

Apr 2, 08 11:20 am  · 
 · 

toaster:
I would have thought the same thing if I didn't know Quilian and hadn't heard what was going on at the GSD via him.

I think its great that they're hosting it and that it was only $5 for me to register - thank you BSA!

Apr 2, 08 11:56 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

quilian - thanks for the info - it seems like there has been a huge shift over the past few years.

which profs are supporting this work?

Apr 2, 08 1:27 pm  · 
 · 

LIVE NOW
SFI8 explores the interface of design and systemic social action. Schedule | Watch Live Today until 5:30PM

Apr 5, 08 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

In a couple of minutes:
Teddy Cruz (San Diego, CA/Tijuana, MX) and the members of Urban Think Tank (Caracas, Venezuela).
LIVE

Apr 5, 08 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Schrödinger's cat

I just want to say that this was an amazing conference - I connected with a ton of people who are doing very inspiring work, and left with a renewed commitment to this very important work in the field of architecture.

Big thanks and congratulations to the GSD students who organized the whole event.

Apr 7, 08 9:53 am  · 
 · 
Mr. AnthraXxX

Quilian or others,

Are/will any of the presentations be available online?

Apr 7, 08 1:14 pm  · 
 · 

archived webcasts are typically posted here

Apr 7, 08 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
andytee

yeah, i had an awesome time too, both fun-wise and learning-wise. pixel and quilian, enjoyed meeting you guys (pixel more in depth and q only breifly). other boston-area necters, maybe at a nect meetup sometime soon? thanks to all the gsd folks for all the hard work they surely put into this.

Apr 7, 08 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
andytee

quillian - any chance the SFI stream was archived and will be posted? i'd love to revisit some of the presentations.

pixel - thanks for the link, there is some great stuff in there.

Apr 10, 08 7:31 pm  · 
 · 

hi andy, im not sure but I will ask, I am sure our AV guru can probably do that.
hi pixel!

Apr 10, 08 11:28 pm  · 
 · 

one of my highlights: being introduced as "Aaron, he's Pixelwhore on Archinect" by Quilian!

hi Q, when are they going to let you play with that 5-axis mill they've got tucked in the basement? I walked around and saw it, quite lovely.

Apr 11, 08 5:44 am  · 
 · 

The full introduction was, "Aaron, he has the best screen name in archinect: Pixelwhore"

I am not sure when they'll let us play with that thing. I am a bit scared of it, I think it will develop a mind of its own and begin to chase us throughout the trays mowing people down with all its 5-axis.

Apr 11, 08 8:48 am  · 
 · 
nightrain

I'd like the thank all involved for a great weekend. The panelists really filled my tank with so much great work. I'll be in Dallas next year for sure.

Apr 11, 08 1:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: