Archinect
anchor

fun with diagrams, indexing, and mapping

treekiller

just wanted to make a home for cool diagrams, analytical drawings, graphic indexices, and information maps - and one of the favorite topics of BLDGBLOG, Pruned, visualcomplexity (the best resource on the web) & others. So let us discuss Tufte, Colin Rowe, Doug Graf, Rem, Tschumi, and Stan Alan who raised the diagram to new
heights.

Previously on archinect:
Diagrams 1, 2, & 3.

fancy graphics: 1, & 2

Mapping 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5

cinematic maps

books:
Personal Geographies,
Precedents in Architecture, 3rd Ed, Mather/da Cunha's Mississippi Floods,
Cosgrove's mapping, mental maps

Some of my favorite diagrams are indexing is a way of revealing complex or latent relationships and phenomena

to kick it off - the most famous diagram ever:

now for some fun:

[url=http://www.gpsdrawing.com/]fun with gps[/img]

landscape urbanism

Jan 20, 08 9:04 pm
Jan 20, 08 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
full size

Jan 20, 08 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
cowerd

marcos weskamp's site
habitat perspectives
news map
social circles

also Brad Paley's textarc
textarc

Jan 21, 08 1:36 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

nice, TK.

the napoleon poster can be picked up for relatively little on ed's homepage

also, anyone care to help me out w/ rowe's (via eisenman) affect v. effect? pics or diagrams would be ideal...

Jan 21, 08 2:01 am  · 
 · 
wes thomas

visualization projects from c71123.com

Jan 21, 08 2:29 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

holz- It's been too long since doug graf parsed mathamatics of an ideal villa in my arch theory at the KSA, good luck.

I've been thinking that landscape urbanism gains much of its power from the poetic diagramming and mapping of dynamic social and natural phenomena. compared the McHargian method of quantifying discreet layers of static information.

it seems to be time to create a congress for landscape urbanism...

Jan 21, 08 10:14 am  · 
 · 

ooh, better yet, name it: congress for landscape urbanism and ecology (CLUE)!

Jan 21, 08 10:16 am  · 
 · 

or something...

Jan 21, 08 10:16 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

this could be a spin-off thread... maybe.

Jan 21, 08 10:29 am  · 
 · 

Steven - brilliant!

Jan 21, 08 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

tufte highlighting Megan Jaegerman:

and something I need to do for work:

Jan 22, 08 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

some recent mapping I worked on for studio this semester.

http://wetwares.org/index.php?title=Scenario_1

Jan 30, 08 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

found a cool source for historic maps, David Rumsey Historical maps

to add to my long time favorite source the collection at U of Tx...

Feb 5, 08 11:01 am  · 
 · 
Oysters and Trifle

If Rickie Lee Jones were to have a conversation with Shigenobu Kobayashi, I think it would look something like this:

Feb 7, 08 1:09 am  · 
 · 
karchitect
Feb 7, 08 1:50 am  · 
 · 
nb072

can someone please explain to me what this term "index" is that i keep hearing architecture professors throw around?

Feb 11, 08 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I've always been fascinated by various subway and transit maps around the world. Here's a few notable ones:

NYC Subway:
MTA Official Map
Track maps
Historical maps
The KICK Map

Amazing how so many maps can show different aspects of the same transit system, and hardly any of them are geographically correct or to scale.

A few others:

Chicago 'L' route map
Chicago 'L' track map

Washington Metro

Boston's 'T'

London Underground

Paris Metro

Moscow Metro through the ages

Tokyo Metro (Holy fucking shit!)

A few years ago some guy with too much time on his hands had an elaborate subway / light rail system for Dayton, Ohio all mapped out and published to a slick-looking website made to mimic that of an official transit agency, complete with detailed service maps and fare information. Unfortunately, it no longer seems to be online, but it was quite a trip.

And just for shits and giggles, here's a graphic showing North America's major subway systems side-by-side, to scale.

Feb 11, 08 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

An index differs from an ordinary sign.

A sign can be conventional: the word 'dog' is a sign for a furry mammal often used as a domestic pet, but the word 'dog' bears no direct resemblance to that animal. The word 'dog' doesn't look like a dog, or sound like a dog. The sign 'dog' is a convention we use.

An index is a trace of something. A footprint generally indicates that a foot has been there. It isn't just a convention. The pattern made on concrete by the formwork is an index of the process of construction used. A photograph is an index of a certain lighting-situation.

Charles Peirce, the semiotician, made the distinction. Rosalind Krauss, the art historian, argued that the index is key to understanding art of the modern period.

Feb 11, 08 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
nb072

wow afga that's really helpful thanks! makes so much more sense now...

Feb 11, 08 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

a score by john cage, thanks to aggegate456's art of notation

Mar 24, 08 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

I love this blog.

Mar 24, 08 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller
Apr 16, 08 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
Apr 16, 08 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

NYtimes -genetic map of europe
Aug 13, 08 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

Poor Belgians...

Aug 15, 08 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
dedubs

check out this interactive olympic medal map form The New York Times. It displays all the medals won in every Olympic games, with different ways to display them. The New York Times always has some amazing data representations..

Like this one that graphically displays Bush's state of the union addresses and each individual word that he used, when he used it, how often he used it. It's fun to check out the words 'terrorism' 'oil' 'september' and see how they have fluctuated across the years, especially after 2001.

Aug 16, 08 12:05 am  · 
 · 
nb072

well, these are cool, but they're all so 2d, so planometric. it's interesting how as architects we are trained to investigate and create 3d space but somehow so much ends up being 2d anyways.

also, all the tufte-esque diagrams are great, but i thought this would have something about the index and the diagram in the eisenman sense. i still don't understand what those are and really want to learn about it.

Aug 16, 08 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

Nicolas alas, we are trapped in the two-dimensional plane of the internets. You would think that it being a series of tubes, we would get at least some semblance of a third dimension, but no.

Aug 17, 08 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
job job

for crowbert,
a third dimension - somewhat

still based on the convention of 'pages'

Aug 18, 08 4:04 am  · 
 · 
job job

agfa8x, shall we say that it was Eisenman, following Venturi, Scott-Brown, Izenour, that championed and later revoked the index. Pierce almost seemed like a back-up plan to circumvent the French resistance.

Aug 18, 08 4:19 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

from the institute for systems biology

Aug 19, 08 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
o d b

there were a number of really interesting diagrams and models in this article of Wired.

Aug 23, 08 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

scientists just have the coolest diagrams

Sep 10, 08 10:06 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

i'm a 'soda' man per my yankee roots. never could fathom the term 'pop'.

Sep 12, 08 10:29 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

fun with gps
Dec 2, 08 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller
Dec 2, 08 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
jealous of the world
thediagram

diagrams+poetry

Dec 2, 08 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
archiwhat
Dec 2, 08 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS
Apr 6, 09 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
n400

any opinions on this?

Is the Economy Getting Ready to Turn Around?

Jul 7, 09 3:17 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

n400 - I was thinking about posting that - I think it only works if it is shown in motion, otherwise it's kind of confusing.

Jul 7, 09 11:45 am  · 
 · 
n400

You're right. I should have posted a direct link to the NYT piece.

Jul 7, 09 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
msudon

I would also venture that "index" is used increasingly more as a verb substitute for "parse"/"sort"/"understand". This usage seems informed by a greater understanding of the actual working of the internets and how things (browsers/servers) move information.

Jul 7, 09 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

You’re Always At Most 107 Miles From A McDonalds!

from consumerist

Stephen Von Worley has figured out that while located in these United States of America, one is always within 107 miles of a McDonald's.

He also created this nifty map to illustrate the concept. According to Mr. Von Worley, "Between the tiny Dakotan hamlets of Meadow and Glad Valley lies the McFarthest Spot: 107 miles distant from the nearest McDonald's, as the crow flies, and 145 miles by car!"

That's quite a drive.

more unique maps at simplecomplexity

Oct 12, 09 4:52 pm  · 
 · 

treehugger's 22 most amazing maps changing how we see the world

impact of climate change

NPR's power grid maps

& also maps make us greener

by James Corner Field Operations with Diller Scofidio Renfro

Jan 5, 10 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell
United States map redrawn into 50 equal areas of population.

Very, very nice.

Jan 30, 10 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
AquillatheNun

anything by Michael Sorkin

Jan 30, 10 9:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: