Archinect
anchor

Whats the avrage salary for a new architect

on avrage how much dose a new architect get a year

Mar 23, 13 6:48 pm

Location will make a huge difference.  When you say "new architect" do you mean someone fresh out of college and interning, or someone who recently got their license?

Mar 23, 13 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
just after you finished univsity
Mar 23, 13 6:55 pm  · 
 · 

It will still vary by location, but I think it would be fair to say that compensation has generally been "below average" when compared to other professions.  Not by a significant margin, but you'd also have to consider that the length of education is longer than other professions as well (5-7.5 years vs. 4 years).  The combination of additional debt and a potentially lower salary can be.. disheartening.. but I don't think you'll find anyone who goes into the profession for money, or very many people who regret choosing architecture.  You'll more likely find people who are enthusiastic and love what they do).

Mar 23, 13 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
because im 15 and i love to draw floor plans and love reading about architecture and i was wondering what money i could get when i first start and do you no wht i could study in collage
Mar 23, 13 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
nycdesigns

Jordan Taylor, being that you are 15, you still have some years til you are done with high school and then 5 years of architecture school (assuming you are attending in the US) Salaries will be different then compared to now. Just like Joseph said, that salary will depend on which part of the US you are starting your career. A career start in New York will have a different salary compared to a career starting in Atlanta for example. I would recommend looking at www.glassdoor.com as that might help you to see a salary range. It's a start but you will have to take a lot of things into consideration when you look forward.

Mar 23, 13 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

lol you'd make more working in McDonald's .. at this moment, one is lucky to even get hired. 

Mar 23, 13 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
Ms.Winston

DO NOT STUDY ARCHITECTURE.... do a good search on the profession

you can still design and learn all you can an d find other ways to educate yourself and stay motivated, but in the mean time.. major in something that is going to get you paid...

all the talk about passion and dreams is crap when you are 30+ years old and still living paycheck to paycheck in a crummy studio apartment....

(im not jaded.. i have been one of the lucky ones, but i have sense enough to see that i am lucky compared to the majority)....

DONT DO IT....

Mar 24, 13 12:18 am  · 
 · 
nycdesigns

@Ms.Winston, gotta say I hear you. As one of the unlucky ones, this jobhunt is a test of the nerves. In the same age bracket, living on fumes and doing everything I can to keep the neural network chasing items of substance.

There's all sorts of speculation in the industry now. Like the impending shortage of practicing professionals in a couple of years.....economy won't rebound significantly for another few years.

Looking at the regional ABI reports, certain regions are going to bounce back far quicker than others. If you are not working now, there are a lot of folks who are reinventing themselves and working on a new set(s) of dice to roll.

Mar 24, 13 12:29 am  · 
 · 
Jono Lee
What would you all consider a relatively acceptable loan to take on upon graduation?
Mar 24, 13 12:31 am  · 
 · 
Ms.Winston

take out a loan after graduation?? NEVER

but in case i misread, and you really mean.. how much to take out while in school
i would suggest not more than 30k.... there are many arch schools around the nation where
the tuition is between 3-5k a semester...  if your surfing on all loans i think that would be the better way to go.... with the salary you will get afterwards it makes no sense to get up to like 50-100k of loans... its just not worth it...

also @nycdesigns.... the woman in me wont let this go unnoticed... i am not 30 plus.... hovering around 26  :)

Mar 24, 13 12:55 am  · 
 · 
nycdesigns

@Ms.Winston, I'll apologize now while I still have a chance. You have a very long  way to go before you can fall into the so called bracket. By then, you'll be licensed.   :)

Mar 24, 13 1:30 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

listen to Ms. Winston.. get an education on a field that pays well.  Learn architecture on your own.  Become like Tadao Ando...  Self-taught and Pritzker Prize winner ;P

Mar 24, 13 3:52 am  · 
 · 

I don't think it's productive to tell you to avoid architecture because of money.  If you're careful with the debt you take on, and are aware of these issues that are being brought up before starting, you'll manage just fine.  If you're starting your research this early, even better.  I wasn't trying to go on some "passion and dreams crap" tangent, but if you're going to be working 2000+ hours a year for some 30-40 years, you'd better like what you do.  I say go for it.

It is still really early here, so absolutely have a look at related professions.  A structural engineer for instance will yield a higher salary, and you would still be involved in architecture.  You could do an undergraduate degree in one of these related professions, and if it wasn't fulfilling, go for the masters in architecture.

Mar 24, 13 11:16 am  · 
 · 
Thecyclist

Great architects were never into it for the money.  Frank Lloyd Wright lived through plenty of bankrupt years, and I believe Corbusier did too.

Mar 24, 13 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

First, kudos for even asking the question. Not many people at your age have the slightest idea of what they would like to study. Here are the 3 things I would do first to see if architecture is right for you...

1. Attend a career discovery summer program at a university. We have these in the states and I assume they have them in the UK as well. There is no better way to see if architecture school is for you than actually attending a program for 2-3 weeks. 

2. Shadow an actual architect. Hopefully your parents/friends/family members know someone in the profession. These things are usually easier in a small practice but it's not unheard of to shadow in a large corporate firm. See what they do on a day-to-day basis.

3. Investigate the world around you. Which is sounds like you already do. Sketch the what you see and try to figure out why buildings stand up. Curiosity will make you successful in any field, not just architecture.

Best of luck!

Mar 24, 13 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4formZ
thanks and how do you get on then summer courses and i draw floor plans pretty much ever day in lessons im not intrested in if that would help
Mar 24, 13 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
and what do you mean by shadow and architect
Mar 24, 13 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
architecte

Jordon taylor: Shadowing an architect means observing the daily activities of an architect.  If you could arrange to visit an architectural office for a day and see what architects actually do, you will learn a lot more about the profession that it's not only about drawing floor plans and looking at architecture.  You may love it or hate it.  

You may even go onto Youtube and search for university architecture studio reviews.  These are sessions when students present their projects in public with tutors and guests providing feedbacks.  You will learn a lot more about architecture and you may not even understand what they are talking about.  But, don't worry.  You'll learn.  

And, having a passion for drawing floor plans is not enough to pursue architecture as a career.  Architecture is not flat on a piece of paper.  Do you have a passion for translating some sketchy ideas onto a piece of paper and further developing your ideas until they make sense in 3D?  When you are drawing a floor plan, can you visualise how things appear in section?  Are you interested in discovering how a building is constructed?  Do you care how building details?  These are just some of the typical issues that architects deal with.

To be honest, when I was your age, I became interested in architecture mainly because I enjoyed drawing floor plans as well.  It's a start. 

Mar 24, 13 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
architecte i can put my floor plans in to 3D on google sketch up as i dont have the money to get good software and i find watching how a buliding is bulit really intresting and i love watching grand designs as it its all of them put togeter and i also sometimes walk past building and wonder how its bulit and stuff like that
Mar 24, 13 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
marisco

You could also take that like of the built environment and how things are built and look into real estate development. It overlaps to some degree and offers a bit better opportunity. Plus you could run the company (business end of things) and for the design end hire architects to design from your ideas. Best of both worlds, as long as you have a nose for building opportunities.

Mar 24, 13 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Thecyclist: you're right.. didn't Louis Kahn die broke in a subway station also? :/

If I ever make it as a well known architect, I think I'm going to go broke too.  I'm in debt after undergrad and can barely keep track of my finances ><

Mar 24, 13 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Fuck architecture. You are young and do not need to go down that path, like us bozos did.

Mar 24, 13 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

We bozos.

Mar 24, 13 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
bindunarayan

In case of the private practice, the salary of a new architect can vary drastically depending upon where (location), and how the architect works.

To be precise, any full-time intern architect can get an average salary that vary between $35,000 and $58,000, which largely depends on architecture design experience before licensure, and also on the place of employment.

Mar 25, 13 1:05 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

architects that can spell make more than architects that can't spell. Just kidding, I totally made that up. Seriously now, to put the salary inquiry into perspective for you, architects make roughly the same as public school teachers in the beginning. That means you start at around 34-36k. You can reasonably expect to double that in 10-15 years. If you have investment savvy or are the one who can bring in profitable work as a principal architect, it increases your possibilities for a higher salary, but generally a staff architect that is a production or design manager should expect to top out at around 80k.

Mar 25, 13 5:05 am  · 
 · 
there is no there
thanks thats made it more useful and what would you recomend on studying in collage coz i was thinking a-level math pysics and art and doing CAD level 1 and level 2
Mar 25, 13 11:37 am  · 
 · 
ariba
If you like money, and math.. Go for engineering, mechanical is great. friends that recently graduated all got jobs 60k and up. (Before graduating they had found jobs already). I wish I had been that lucky.
Mar 25, 13 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

a hand shake and a pat on the back at most places w/ coffee for a bonus to keep you up working

Mar 25, 13 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
will they be able to get me into an architectural school if i studyed them for any chance
Mar 25, 13 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

@Jordan taylor

im not sure sasquatch's dont enjoy being studied

Mar 25, 13 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
@tmston2
oh ok and how much dose it normally cost on average dose it cost to be a fully qulifided achitect
Mar 25, 13 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Jordan, are you in the US? Architecture is a highly regulated profession and there is a specific route to get there. Your first step is to get an accredited degree. This is very important. You might be under the impression that you can put together a course of study yourself, but that isn't the case. Make sense? As for now, open your heart, mind and eyes. Develop a curiosity. Don't get caught up worrying about studying physics for now. Take up an art like photography or painting. This will help you "see".

Mar 25, 13 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
im from the uk and im thinking of hoing to portsmouth university for a architectual school
Mar 25, 13 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
UK is as regulated as USA. Google architect part I, part II, part III to get some understanding of the process.

Luckily UK is cheaper than USA so all the sturm and drang stuff that North Americans worry about is not gonna be your fate.

On downside UK economy is pretty unpredictable just now what with all the austerity going on. There may or may not be a job on graduation (in any profession) :-)

As far as real estate goes it is NOTHING like architecture. My business partner runs a property fund here in Tokyo and there is close to zero overlap. Engineering is also a different beast if you wanna see your own designs built.

You might try BD online for salary survey. I think they used to have a good one. For what it's worth, when I was last in London part II architects were getting between 22k and 30k pounds to start. It meant most of us were living in flat shares. After a few years I assume it gets better but have no first hand experience.
Mar 25, 13 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
Rasa

Hopefully by the time you finish your education, your punctuation and grammar improves.

Mar 25, 13 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
wutiswut

30-60k

Mar 25, 13 9:43 pm  · 
 · 

you might get a better idea of things from here

the architect salary is quite a bit lower than what i have seen/experienced, but perhaps things are worse than i imagined.

Mar 26, 13 12:30 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Will, something is truly off with those numbers. I'm not even registered and I make top 8th percentile in our industry? I don't think so. 

Seattle architects make more than those in NYC? o.O

Mar 26, 13 1:08 am  · 
 · 
Ah. Bad data I guess?
Mea culpa.

Perhaps better to ignore the link.
Mar 26, 13 5:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: