Archinect
anchor

Name that Architect and Building!!!

holz.box

seconded (even though the EBV project was pretty intense)

Oct 2, 07 3:34 pm  · 
 · 

thrice what techno said, seconded what holz said.

Oct 2, 07 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
AP

quattrice.

and just a reminder, here is a-f's post from the bottom of page 7:

not sure what it is. it looks like Chicago's Lakepoint Tower had babies:

Oct 2, 07 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

Chubby babies, but they are in Europe...

Oct 2, 07 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
simples

ap...lakepointe tower came to mind, so i googled for mies, and then George Schipporeit and John Heinrick in europe...didn't find anything...it feels french to me...

Oct 2, 07 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

nope... this guy is quite famous, member of both CIAM and Team X.

Oct 2, 07 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

all i can see is astor place in nyc.

Oct 2, 07 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
AP

ahahhahhahahahaha. that's mean phuyaka. these triplets seem reasonably elegant from the image. that gwathmey seigel thing at astor place is a travesty!

Oct 2, 07 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

yeah that is a bit below the belt, but i think the astor building has permanently ruined my ability to appreciate curvy glass buildings.

still no clue on yours, a-f

Oct 2, 07 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

Well, I'm not going to give any more clues, and it's past my bedtime over here, so good luck! MEdit is going to tell you who the architect is tomorrow morning (clue)

Oct 2, 07 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

Jose A. Coderch - the trade buildings (1-4), Barcelona

Oct 2, 07 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

yes

Oct 3, 07 2:22 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

i had to make up for my astor place comment.

next:

Oct 3, 07 10:11 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

no one yet? here's a couple shots of the interior, including one of the architect and his wife:

hey archinect, how come this thread still doesn't have a red dot?

Oct 3, 07 12:21 pm  · 
 · 

is that bruce goff? It has that Talesin vibe to it

Oct 3, 07 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

looks like a very comfy living room.

Oct 3, 07 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

good guess, but nope. It's interesting that it has that Taliesin feel to it, because most of his other projects don't. He's most well known for his built work in NYC, but also has a lot of smaller residential projects (like this one) down south

Oct 3, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
simples

do i see a 90degree-corner-door-panel on the first interior shot?!

Oct 3, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Albert Ledner, New Orleans home, via

Oct 3, 07 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

yes you do simples.

good call AP, i figured it'd be someone who saw the NYT article. really made me happy to see he was able to restore it... let's hope he can do the same to his studio annex:

check the glass floats between stairs (you can see the waterline from Katrina):

you're up AP

Oct 3, 07 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Oct 3, 07 5:10 pm  · 
 · 

This a long shot but judging on the interior and the faun roof line I am guessing Craig Ellwood. However the glass facade looks far too pixelated to belong to his ouevre

Oct 3, 07 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
AP

not Ellwood, although they would be about the same age if Ellwood were alive today.

this architect worked primarily/exclusively in the Southeast, completing some of his best works in South Florida.

Oct 3, 07 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Albert Browning Parker. Can't name the commission, so I'll forfeit a turn.

Oct 3, 07 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Oh -- it's his own residence. The gloriette on the roof is quite swank. . .

Oct 3, 07 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

D'oh ! It's Alfred. I'm done. I got the answer without looking at the book -- but it's been a while.

Oct 3, 07 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
AP

nice! how did you come across the answer SDR?

either way, your turn.

Oct 4, 07 8:22 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Thanks. I've had his 1965 book "You and Architecture" for a long time. The photos there show a bench on stone blocks surrounding that fireplace. Where are your pics from ?

Another oldie:

Oct 4, 07 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
simples

sdr...any additional, overall images?

Oct 4, 07 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

There are virtually no exterior images. Julius Shulman photos. Residence, total enclosed space 12' x 18.' 1946.

Oct 4, 07 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
SDR
Oct 5, 07 12:44 am  · 
 · 
SDR

I lied:
[img]http://sdrdesign.com/GordonDrakeColor.jpg[/mg]

Guess this one should be in "Small Projects". . .

Oct 5, 07 1:03 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Crap -- wish we had editing. . .

Oct 5, 07 1:05 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

ah the little tag mess up sort of gave it away. it's a shame Drake had passed so young (and amazing what he accomplished by the age of 35). I wonder what he could have gone on to do.

Oct 5, 07 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Yes. This little house in LA (certainly informed by Wright, and others) turns its back to the street and is surrounded on three sides by treed hillsides. A tiny oasis. . . Wish I could see a plan. I have no idea where the bathroom fits into the scheme.

Well, I propose phuyaka get a turn, as his was the first response. Unless there's another precedent in this situation. Thanks for the reply.

Oct 5, 07 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

SDR I'll give you another building since I cheated, plus it was a really good choice and I want to see what you bring up next.

Oct 5, 07 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

You're very kind. As AP led us into a historical detour (?) I'll continue it. This will be easy, I expect.

Still hoping to hear more about Mr Parker.

Oct 5, 07 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
postal

ah crap, i've seen the documentary on this twice...

Oct 5, 07 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

You know the story, then. . .

Oct 5, 07 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Is it the Ise Shinto shrine?

Oct 5, 07 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

You got it, Philarch. It's the one that is rebuilt in the adjacent site, every twenty years.

Your go.

Oct 5, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Sweet. Got the easy one finally. I want to be there for their next rebuilding in 2013, although I'm not sure if it is accessible to the general public. Somewhat obscure, but has been in some publications and I visited it a while back.

Oct 5, 07 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
postal

Ise, i should've know that! and yes, i know the story, its a gorgeous tradition.

Oct 5, 07 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

The reconstruction prior to the 1956 MoMA book on Japanese architecture reported that the next would have to be done with imported hinoki wood. I wonder now what has been done with the discarded timber from each previous reconstruction. . .

Oct 5, 07 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

Slade - Dalki Theme Park and Shop, south korea.

I applied there about a year ago... of course, no response.

Oct 5, 07 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Hmmm...nice. By any chance, you know the literal translation from the Korean name?

Oct 5, 07 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

was that formerly cho slade?

Oct 5, 07 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Oh, I thought it was still cho slade. But now that I look it up, it looks like it is just slade now.

Oct 5, 07 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

slade is run by james + hayes slade, if that's what you're asking? did they used to be something different?

also i think their website should be a template for other architect's: simple, thorough, and really easy to navigate. I'll post another building in a minute.

Oct 5, 07 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

ah i guess you're right. under their publications section a few of the older ones show them as "cho slade" I wonder why the name change?

Oct 5, 07 3:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: