Archinect
anchor

Green Thread Central

xtbl

thanks! yeah, now we'll see how i do with my riding! that particular bike set me back 6 bills. i got it @ my local bike shop, actually! i was a bit surprised to find out they had it there. just go to the dahon website, click on buy, and they'll guide you to dealers in your area.

and yes, a good messenger bag is next. i believe there is already a thread somewhere (i'm too lazy to search right now) but seeing as how this is "green thread central" does anybody know of any "green" messenger bags?

May 4, 07 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

I posted some solar powered ones a little ways back. The best one I found was called the Juice Bag, but it was $$$.

I also think the windfarms are beautiful. I've made the drive on I-10 from Phx to LA many times, and seeing the windmill farms is my favorite part hands down. On the NPR program this morning, they were talking about the local opposition to the look of it, the NIMBYness of it, and that made me sad because they're gorgeous to me.

May 4, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

agreed rationalist. there is some kind of strange beauty there.

i hadn't seen them in a while until last weekend on the way to and from coachella.

May 4, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

dammit! how does one resize, anyway? is it

{img}http://img.jpg w=400{/img}

May 4, 07 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
+i

you guys listening to npr's Science Friday today?

it's great.

May 4, 07 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

not yet, but after morning becomes eclectic i'll switch over.

May 4, 07 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
+i

climate change in regards to africa (tanzania, etc), the impacts of war, and the increase in severe weather (such as tsunamis)

May 4, 07 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
+i

and windfarms are beautiful... i saw my first windfarm on my way from DC to pittsburgh... it totally caught me offguard and was one of the most amazing things ive ever seen. they were huge + were right up against the interstate. it was crazy

May 4, 07 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

not sure if you guys have come across this yet, but just now as i was searching for wind farm images, i found a great site!

it's called hugg[/] and it's basically like [url=http://digg.com/]digg but for all things green.

May 4, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

dammit!!! ok, i shouldn't be allowed to post links and/or images!

May 4, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 

+i- the ones in cali are breathtaking. They to are right by the highway, on either side of it actually, at the base of some small mountains. So coming from LA going east, you are driving over this mountain pass and all the sudden when you come over the top, there are just acres and acres of windmills churning away.

I wish I got to listen to NPR at work... = (

May 4, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

HA ha Cris. Nice bike! I'll post when I get mine, still waiting :o/

Speaking of green messenger bags, here's a nice one:

Sorry! Couldn't resist. It's green though!

May 4, 07 2:58 pm  · 
 · 

Alchemy Goods in Seattle makes bags out of recycled rubber, old vinyl advertisement banners and such like that. They come in different colors supposedly, but that's the only messanger bag pic they had on the site.

May 4, 07 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

I love the old recycled ones. I was at reviews at my old Uni last weekend and one of the instructors had one made of this material which I guess at one time held some sort of deliverable material in vietnam (cause the writing was vietnemese). It was cool.

Rationalist, what's the website for that place in seattle??
and what's so disgusting about wind farms? I mean the aren't aethetically unpleasant, are they? (in response to the NIMBY-ers)

DubK you silly goof you...

May 4, 07 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
+i

ration- the ones i saw werent like a whole bunch- not a "farm"... maybe more like a very small petting zoo--- there were just four of them, and they were massive. but nonetheless amazing

May 4, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, what rationalist said! (in regards to the wind farms out here)

May 4, 07 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ha, a petting zoo of wind turbines. Nice.

I like that bag above but my number one problem with it is heat.....if I'm riding around LA on my bike with that on my back, it's going to get really hot, for my computer and my back.

May 4, 07 4:15 pm  · 
 · 

dub is that really green or just green?

I've recently fell mad in love with freitlag esp their attention towards architects * designers

May 4, 07 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

thanks 'philia! that's the brand i couldn't think of earlier. they also make their bags from recycled materials, no?

May 4, 07 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

the alchemy bags in seattle are very interesting. they make some cool wallets, as well.

but i'm with architechnophilia. freitag is where it's at.
recycled truck tarps, recycled seat belts, recycled bike tire tubes. To be able and take a few pieces of plastic, reassemble, and mark up at a 1000% increase, and design-savvy fools buy them that's a decent business model. i got the f-cut, it says "ale" across the flap.

Their flagship was also pretty cost effective (and recycled)

May 4, 07 5:01 pm  · 
 · 

Alchemy can be found here.

I also prefer the look of freitlag, but if I were going to pay that much for a bag, I'd probably get one of the solar ones. Also, how sustainable can something be when you have to ship it halfway around the world?

A small bit of the windfarm:

May 4, 07 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

rationalist -
it's not being shipped if it's bought oversease while working/traveling.

May 4, 07 5:19 pm  · 
 · 

yea Cris... they do use 90% recycled/reused material. And from stuff that otherwise can't or wouldn't be recycled or reused. Also you can pick out which sections from the material to be resused/recycled (see the cutter)

May 4, 07 5:20 pm  · 
 · 

yea i'm with holz - hence why i don't use their online shipping. Ideally it would be great to have frietlag in different parts of the world. Shhhh i have copyright on that idea

May 4, 07 5:22 pm  · 
 · 

whoa..... I just found their store listings! Apparently they are sold in north american shops! I may just have to check some out in person.

May 4, 07 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

those bags are really cool!!!

however, they are maaaaaaad expensive, and yeah, doesn't seem very sustainable to have them shipped from switzerland to so cal. they have them in some stores around here. i'll have to look @ them and see if they're really worth upwards of 200 bucks.

May 4, 07 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

well if you guys find them Cris and Rationalist.....let me know cause Im totally on board in getting one if it's worth while.

May 4, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

The microwave repair guy came today and told me it will cost $175 to get the turntable motor on my model replaced. I could buy a new microwave for that money! But I thought of Green Thread Central and decided rather than throw out one to buy another at less cost, I would bite the bullet and do the less wasteful thing. Motor should be in next week.

vado told me to try living w/o a microwave at all. I ersponded: with a toddler in the house, no frickin' way.

May 4, 07 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

1200W. That's a lot of compact fluorescent light bulbs. How 'bout a solar oven?

May 5, 07 1:45 am  · 
 · 

liberty - to be totally green you should of asked the repairman to replace the part with one recycled or taken from a used one.

May 5, 07 2:50 am  · 
 · 

I'm not too sure any of you have seen this the spanish tower

May 5, 07 2:51 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

the mirros look crazy when they move...
also, the french were doing this like decades ago:
solar furnace in odiello (1000kw solar furnace)

May 5, 07 5:12 am  · 
 · 
n_

ummmm, i have fallen in love with those bags.

i can't stop thinking about them.

May 5, 07 10:45 am  · 
 · 
+i

i found a pic of em online... apparently they are in sommerset, pennsylvania

but then i found these in the UK while i was doing that search... i've never seen em in the ocean before... i wonder how far they had to pile drive those foundations (and the ecosystem they destroyed to do that)...

[img]http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/MultimediaFiles/Live/Image/6090.jpg[img]

May 5, 07 10:57 am  · 
 · 
+i

ha... funny... that was an ad from GreenPeace

May 5, 07 10:58 am  · 
 · 

+i they have some turbine rigs that actually float...similar to oil rigs

May 5, 07 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

ok, you guys have GOT to see this

May 5, 07 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Apu, you should have put a warning on that! That was disgusting! I couldn't finish....

May 5, 07 4:02 pm  · 
 · 

Frozen Possums....uh huh

May 5, 07 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

hehehe!!!

May 5, 07 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

well hey wonderk, that's what's gonna happen when the permafrost thaws. I'm starting the militia group H.A.P.E., Humans Allied for Possum Extermination. How's that for post-apocalyptic scenarios?

May 5, 07 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

for everyone--

www.greendreamjobs.com

for Cris- here's a great (more) local California Company for messenger bags-

Love Life bags- jaw dropped the first time I saw someone carrying one around

www.lovelifebags.com

(for some reasoning is not working)

here's their myspace

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=9572065

May 5, 07 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

some lovelife bag images

http://flickr.com/search/?q=lovelife+bags&m=text

May 5, 07 8:38 pm  · 
 · 

Went bike shopping today, and am undecided. If anyone has thoughts on road wheels vs. mtn wheels for a hybrid commuter bike, kindly hop over to the 'bicycles' thread and wow me with your wisdom.

May 5, 07 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

awesome jdesp, thanks!!!

May 5, 07 9:36 pm  · 
 · 

no love...the love bags site seems to be down

May 5, 07 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

TG-170 on Ludlow St. in Manhattan sells the Freitag bags. But to state the obvious, they were shipped from Zurich just like buying an individual bag online!

May 6, 07 11:46 am  · 
 · 
winifred

Rationalist- go for road wheels!

If you are choosing your actual tire- I would go with armadillos as they are good for riding in urban areas with glass etc.

May 6, 07 4:16 pm  · 
 · 

Not choosing the actual tire. I've just got a few models of bikes in mind, and some have road wheels and some have mountain wheels. I looked at a Raleigh Passage 3.0 womens, a Giant Sedona, and a Giant Cypress in person. The Raleigh is a bit more than either of the Giants, but was the most comfortable of the three (the Cypress was the least comfy). But then both of the Giants were the mens versions, if I decided to go with one of those I would have to order the womens through the shop (I like the step-through and the shorter tube length a lot). So there's the potential that the Raleigh was only more comfortable because it was a womens model. But there's also the possibility that I could get them to order me a womens Sedona or Cypress, and end up liking it LESS than the mens version... I guess maybe the thing to do would be to call up other shops to see whether they had either of them in stock in the womens model? Otherwise, I have to make the choice between paying more $$$ for something I'm pretty sure about or saving by taking a bit of a risk.

Hmmm, thinking about it that way, I'm leaning toward the Passage. It also comes in orange, which I love. But then yesterday I was leaning towards the Sedona because the mountain wheels would be good for exploring all the great trails in Seattle. Confusion!

May 6, 07 4:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: