Archinect
anchor

Garage door to conditioned interior. Energy code questions (WA)

JonathanLivingston

Hi all,

someone has to be able to provide some advice on this problem. I'm sure this has been done many times before, any clues would be appreciated. 

The problem I'm dealing with is a residential design with an exterior roll up garage door that is part of a conditioned space. As far as I see no garage doors (glazed) provide u-value information. As a result especially with such a large area I cannot meet the energy code requirements, (prescriptive) I believe I have to use a component performance option to show overall compliance with the energy code. 

With this approach do I try to squeeze some maximum u-value out of the door through calculating the individual u-value of materials/quantities in the assembly to get an average? or am I assuming the garage door just has a U-value of 1 and then doing the calculations for each wall assembly in hopes that i can squeeze out a higher R value and negate the 0 R-value door? 

Anybody have any experience with this problem. particularly under the new Washington state energy code? 

Jul 23, 12 2:56 pm
JonathanLivingston

perhaps someone knows how to script this problem? wrong forum perhaps? i guess i will take this over to the ARE forum. 

Jul 23, 12 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
LOOP!

hahaha ^ Have you called any suppliers and asked? Since every self-respecting designer in Seattle is running around trying to be Tom Kundig and putting garage doors onto interior spaces, I'd think the suppliers or a good glazing sub would have an answer for you.

Jul 23, 12 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

yeah I'm waiting on some responses from a few subs. This seems like a no brainier, everybody has done it.  

Jul 23, 12 8:06 pm  · 
 · 

Check out Clopay.  They make thermally insulated garage doors, and I'm sure a call to them would get the R-values

Jul 24, 12 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
brucewilles

Does any one have tried automatic gates !! Really very simple and easy to use!!

Am i right??

Mar 12, 13 8:28 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

I've dealt with this problem before (WA architect here). You're going to have to do a full component energy analysis to get it approved, and even then it's not a sure thing. You're going to have to treat the garage door as a hole in the wall unless you've got an NFRC test result.

Mar 12, 13 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

Wow surprised to see an old post up on here. Gwharton, is right this is what we had to do. It was a huge pain. 

Mar 12, 13 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
Thecyclist
I designed a building recently with the same dilemma. Glazed garage doors just use thin single pane glazing. I ended up drawing my own garage door detail with double glazing. Still, I don't know if its manufactured or not, I was doing a school project so it didn't truly matter.
Mar 12, 13 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Ha! I didn't even look at the date to see if it was a necro'd thread. Looks like I got caught out by a spambot.

Mar 12, 13 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: