Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Mr_Wiggin

^Seems to be the mantra of the MSM these days, funny how they were mocking Romney back in 2012 when he dared claim that Russia was a major geopolitical threat.  4 years later, and the Russkies are the bogeyman again.  The Obama administration was about as tone-deaf as could be in the foreign policy department, we're just starting to see the fruits of 8 years of incompetency.

Jan 12, 17 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Wow. Romney sounds like Nostradamus!

Bullshit.

Russia and their little infant is about as important as Trump's wife.
Jan 12, 17 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

The point is not that Russia is a threat and Romney was right, more-so that recognizing a potential adversary, and learning to work with them rather than belittling them, as Obama tended to do with the Russians, is what we should expect of our gov't.  Russia's actions aren't unexpected in light of the last 16 years, Bush's softening, and Obama's mocking...

Jan 12, 17 5:32 pm  · 
 · 

b3ta, gotta disagree with you there. Putin is showing empire aspirations and they are taking a more active role in influencing other countries again. I doubt it's gonna go all Cold War 2 or anything, but could be an issue.

Besides our industrial/military complex needs an enemy to boost profits!

Jan 12, 17 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

A threat to what exactly? Their navy, they had better equipment when the had the Potemkin. Work with them? To do what? Bomb civilians in Alepo? I say how about we decide to let Russian people decide if they want to be run by a short clown with a hard-on for bears, and orange tyrants.

Let's not forget, Russia took Georgia before Obama was elected. Sanctions are working. 

Jan 12, 17 5:44 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, but they took Crimea 2 years ago. I'm not saying they are a threat right now, but Putin seems to have a long game going.

Jan 12, 17 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I hear ya, but the long game is predicated on money, and sheeple, err Trump.

Like q wrote; MAKE RUSSIA GREAT AGAIN!

It's boomer nostalgia. 

Jan 12, 17 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
Boop mcpoop

Let's just turn on some Queen and beat 'em at hockey. 

Jan 12, 17 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

And then there's this...

Ex-British ambassador who is now a WikiLeaks operative claims Russia did NOT provide Clinton emails - they were handed over to him at a D.C. park by an intermediary for 'disgusted' Democratic whistleblowers

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4034038/Ex-British-ambassador-WikiLeaks-operative-claims-Russia-did-NOT-provide-Clinton-emails-handed-D-C-park-intermediary-disgusted-Democratic-insiders.html#ixzz4Vb2HKYJ9 

Those damn limeys...

Jan 12, 17 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

you're suggesting that obama will be viewed as a failure because when russia sent troops into a sovereign state that was trying to build stronger ties with NATO he didn't, and i quote "work with them rather than belittling them?"

so, can we safely assume you're russian?

Jan 12, 17 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

those damn limeys....

that's the same guy right?  any corroborating sources?

Jan 12, 17 7:35 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, the Daily Mail is certainly a credible news source. :-/

Jan 13, 17 12:48 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

The point being is that we live in a world where we have an overabundance of news sources, credible or not, and they can trumpet out any story they want as long as it furthers their narrative.  There's money, and interests backing both sides, taking things at face value just isn't a good practice these days.

Jan 13, 17 11:39 am  · 
 · 

In other news (get it?) I'm on day 3 of a low-carb diet my doctor told me to do now....and I want all the damn sugar available in Willy Wonka's factory RIGHT NOW.

Jan 13, 17 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Life is too short to ignore delicious carbs.

Jan 13, 17 12:15 pm  · 
 · 

Tell that to my doctor. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go ham on an entire bag of candy or something at some point until I get used to the new diet. 

Jan 13, 17 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Mr. Wiggins, that is why it is import to get a balanced diet of conventional and non-conventional media, and use your critical mind to dissertain what is 'real' and what is 'fake'. Fake news has been going on for a long time, so when CNN or MSNBC or FOX start talking about 'fake news', I start laughing. Most of the history books that are in public education have 'fake history' in them too.

Im still perplexed to whether Michelle O to the B is sporting a wrist watch or not.

Jan 13, 17 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Josh, I went 7 months last year on a low-carb diet, less than 30g/day. Lost 40 lbs and felt a lot better. Gearing up to do it again. I think it took a week or so for the carb cravings to ease up. Then it's just "one day at a time". My go-to snack was nuts of various sorts. Good luck!

Jan 13, 17 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

Terrible source (The Scum not BBC) but it is a classic:

Jan 13, 17 3:26 pm  · 
 · 

"The Paper contains facts."

"This Paper contains facts, and this paper has the eighth-highest circulation in the whole, wide, world. ... Right? Plenty of facts."

https://youtu.be/g5vnZec964c?t=2m57s

Jan 13, 17 5:06 pm  · 
 · 

I see two facts on that cover.

Isn't the Sun the one that has naked girls on page 6?

Jan 13, 17 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
Bench
Wholesome, Conservative naked girls josh!
Jan 13, 17 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

it's the one owned by the same guy as the new york times and fox and shares a home town with assange.

Jan 13, 17 11:36 pm  · 
 · 

Looks like PS isn't the only firm trying to make a run at turn-key couture architecture.

Karim Rashid launches Kurv Architecture, a new design and investment firm (thin on details).

Jan 14, 17 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

My girlfriend took me out to Astoria this weekend to celebrate my birthday. It was so hard to explain why I made her take this picture.

Jan 15, 17 9:03 pm  · 
 · 

OMG tduds that is AWESOME!!!!

This world is so small.

Jan 15, 17 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

That is hilarious! lol

Jan 15, 17 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Nice little city you got there, Rick!

Jan 15, 17 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Oh, I bet tdud did a few 'roll bys' to make sure you werent anywhere in sight. Tduds was probably in and out in about 30secs, mister lord balkins!

Jan 15, 17 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

For some reason I just see lord balkins as a slittery slug, kinda like how jabba the hut was portrayed. you def got some time to escape his tongue, and the goo trail.

Jan 15, 17 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Lol, slow down on the crack balkins, you really should stay off the internet. The DMS5 is studying u atm and concluding if there needs to be a new definition for your insanity.

You and NS have more in common than I thought

Jan 16, 17 1:50 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Josh, it's page 3.

Jan 16, 17 2:24 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
What about Me and Ricky?

At least I'm making a living in this profession and last I checked, I don't have any theatre death traps under my belt.
Jan 16, 17 6:17 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Ah, come on Ricky. I can guarantee at least a pint or two of half-decent beer.
Jan 16, 17 7:28 am  · 
 · 

Is that parapet leaning? 

Jan 16, 17 10:00 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Oh no balkins, their is room for 3 on this marry go round...although you being a gastropod and only one footed, i dont know how youre going to step on. Can we get a forklift?

Jan 16, 17 10:11 am  · 
 · 

I smell a fire. Maybe this rain here in Chicago will put it out.

Happy Monday!

Jan 16, 17 11:38 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Josh, there might be room for a 4th.

Jan 16, 17 11:48 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Yep, definitely still port-o-potties outside.

Jan 16, 17 11:53 am  · 
 · 
gruen
How much to rezone my property? (The things I deal with)
Jan 16, 17 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^charge them $5k for a zoning assessment.

Jan 16, 17 12:37 pm  · 
 · 

I've seen some port-o-potties that were veritable thrones. 

Jan 16, 17 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

tduds, you didn't happen to take any field measurements?  

Jan 16, 17 1:41 pm  · 
 · 

Zaha leaves $67million in her will. I know she was wealthy already, but I still feel sick to my stomach over individuals having that kind of wealth when kids in Chicago public schools frequently don't eat in a day unless they get lunch at school.

We're so fucked, you guys. I'm ashamed of our society.

Jan 16, 17 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

Donna, and people worked for her for free or for peanuts.  disgusting.

Jan 16, 17 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Donna -- while that news about Zaha is certainly eye-opening, I'm more distressed by the Oxfam report released over the weekend, indicating that the world's eight richest individuals combined are richer than the 3.6 billion people who make up the poorest half of the world's population.

The only silver lining (if you can call it that) to that report is that more than half of those 8 individuals (i.e. Gates, Buffett, Zuckerberg, Bezos and Bloomberg) seem sympathetic to many of the world's problems and are making some effort to do something about them -- unlike our soon to be Twitter-in-Chief.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/stark-inequality-oxfam-men-rich-half-world-44797349

Jan 16, 17 1:58 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks for that, quizzical, and you're right. I just get so heartbroken. I don't begrudge people being rich, but I DO begrudge US citizen-people being obscenely rich when other US citizen-people - millions of them - are barely scraping by, especially, in our country, food-insecure working families. It's just not fair.

If you follow me on FB, this morning I posted this article (which I first saw on Zach Mortice's Twitter feed) about Chicago public schools. I feel like I *do* know how we could fix public schools to make them give every child an equal shot at success, but it would involve billions of dollars being spent on not only teachers but also social workers, mentors, child psychologists, physical therapists...basically an army of trained adults for every school child to make sure they are each individual one getting the attention that many upper middle class kids are getting already. As a society we're clearly not willing to do that.

Jan 16, 17 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^what the US's daily military budget Donna?

Start cutting there perhaps?

As a side note, my totally not Trump government cheif gives me $200 a month for no other reason but to provide the necessities to my infant son... tax free.  I technically don't need it, but it goes to all Canadian families with household incomes less than $150k. Although ours is near the top of that scale, I can only imagine how much help it would be to a single mother pulling in minimum wage for example.

Is there such a thing in the US?

Jan 16, 17 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

seems like a piece i saw on abc friday nite with Diane sawyer covering low workers wage's in america, I thgt to myself I am grateful to make wut I make but DARN!!!, there was a guy who had been working 2 fastfood jobs, 1 of them for 11yrs @ $8.00/hr because he claims he cant afford school and this is all he can do. I thgt sad, how we pay a guy 315 million to hit a baseball and $8.00/hr to a guy trying to take care of his family and have some dignity.

Jan 16, 17 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

On the other hand jesus said " the poor you will have with you always", whether he meant financially poor, intellectually poor, poor etiquette, poor soul, i guess thats open to interpretation

Jan 16, 17 3:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: