Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

archiwutm8

Donna, you game? Join me in some rocket league.

Jan 31, 17 11:47 am  · 
 · 

Thanks for the squirrel, NonSeq.

archiwutm8 I like you and I'm glad you're here! You've only been on Archinect for a year or so, yes? So I'll say this knowing that you probably haven't heard me say it the many, many times I have already (and apologies to all you lovely TCers who HAVE heard me say it many, many times already): no video game has ever engaged me for more than a few minutes, going all the way back to the original release of Pong. They just strike me as boring!

I do remember vividly the first time I played Pong, in the basement of a friend from church. It would have been 1975, apparently, so I was 8 or 9. The friend's name was Jeff, but that's all I remember about him, and the basement carpet was mustard-colored shag,

Jan 31, 17 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

:o beer pong then? It's days like this that I wish I worked somewhere artistic and didn't need to do anything technical.. My brain hurts, what a long week already.

Jan 31, 17 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I'm glad I don't have to worry about my kids in the education system....Just saying....Then again maybe my dog wants to go back to elementary school to further her learning.  I'm afraid that is were we are headed folks~~~~~

Jan 31, 17 2:17 pm  · 
 · 

Beer pong forever. Or quarters, which is what we played in college.

Jan 31, 17 2:34 pm  · 
 · 

I was on a kickball team for a couple years and got really good at flipcup. The kickball and socializing aspects, not so much.

Jan 31, 17 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I hate video games too. Shuffleboard's my game. 

Jan 31, 17 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I'm not a competitive person, except when it comes to flip cup. I will ruin you at flip cup.

Unrelated: Today is the first day of my firm's shuffleboard tournament. Let's see how I do.

Jan 31, 17 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Sigh...I'm getting too old for this shit. Calling it a night.

Feb 1, 17 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
At NJIT they had a culture of dwarf tossing.
Feb 1, 17 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

rick b getting work, if that ain't an economic indicator.

Feb 2, 17 7:20 am  · 
 · 
Bench

^ ^ This guy wins archinect for the day

Feb 2, 17 7:24 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
+1 to Max.
No better comment will be posted throughout the entire interwebs today.
Feb 2, 17 7:48 am  · 
 · 

I'm halfway through this AIA-NY/Center for Architecture panel presentation on Whitney M. Young and it's AWESOME. Good to listen to while CADing.

https://www.facebook.com/CenterforArchitecture/

Feb 2, 17 10:32 am  · 
 · 

Nice one Max - maybe it's time to hang my shingle.

Something bothering me today - my decision to be more open about struggles with depression are still biting me in the ass (not necessarily professionally). I hate that the stigma around mental illness is so prevalent in our society. It's to the point where I don't want the PechaKucha I presented about it posted online due to fearing backlash.

Another part of me wants to say "f**k it, if people use my struggles to put me down, I don't want them around anyway". It's a weird paradox. 

Feb 2, 17 11:08 am  · 
 · 

If people want to use your struggles to put you down they are not worthy of being in your life.  At the very least someone can say 'I don't really understand what you're going through*  but I can see that it's tough and I'm here if there IS anything I can do** to help".

*people who haven't had depression can't understand it

*usually other people can't help anyway

Feb 2, 17 11:21 am  · 
 · 

You're right on that Donna. I've had to tell my friends that what they can do to help is just hanging out. Some want to help more, but know it's a battle I have to face alone.

It's getting better - this past Christmas was absolutely awful though.

Feb 2, 17 11:27 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

It sounds sophomoric but exercise is a big stress reducer. Stress in the body causes all sorts of chemical reactions and chemical by-products, none of them useful. A good run can help burn up all those by-products of stress. Dr. Kenneth Cooper, now 85, started the jogging fitness movement. Basically you log how far you run in a week and what time it takes and award yourself points. Anything over 33 points a week and you will definitely feel better. Worth a stop at his web site.

Feb 2, 17 11:35 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Josh - Joining the club here.

Feb 2, 17 11:39 am  · 
 · 

Thanks Volunteer - working on incorporating exercise into the whole work/life balance thing. That goes hand in hand with having to be on a low-carb diet...

So on the plus side, the new pants I bought a few weeks ago are now too big at the waist. Going to visit the tailor this weekend.

Feb 2, 17 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

... heading to a big important client meeting shortly.  without saying much more than necessary, we have a particularly expensive failure in our curtainwall system and parties involved in the components are excusing themselves from responsibility. I sense I'll be in litigation for several years.  Oie...

Josh, hang in there.

Feb 2, 17 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

People put you down for depression? That means something is wrong with them. People suck. Look under their facade cause you can see their rotten structure if you do. When I struggled with deep depression I vocalized it openly. It ruined some relationships but for others it helped develop a really strong bond. When I opened up to some people, they would open up to me and suddenly we weren't alone anymore, conversation ran deep and was a type of anti-depressant. I also went thru intensive and extended professional therapy. 3 years. People can make fun of me if that is what they want to do. Most adults are still just little kids, acting out playground aggression, ever notice that? 

That sucks, NS. Good luck.

Feb 2, 17 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I think creative and smart people are more likely get depressed too. Think of all the people who aren't;t even aware or thoughtful? If you don't have much thought or ambition, you are happy watching tv and sipping soda.

My favorite mini exercise/mood booster is squats. Just do 5-10 here and there throughout the day. You use your biggest muscles so you get energy flowing immediately. Then building those muscles in turn burns more calories over time.

Feb 2, 17 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

Are you saying I have a big butt? 

Sorry...34 going on 13 here.

Feb 2, 17 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

No, I do. Wait, Who wants a flat butt anyways? No seiously, it's called the gluteus MAXIMUS. Please. And squats hit your thighs which are your next biggest muscles too. Not just you, all of us. I've done few rounds of two-six squats this morning. 

I was in the park last summer and there was this guy there feeding the squirrels. He strikes up a conversation and I ended up talking to him for over an hour. He was a personal trainer and had me doing thigh and butt exercises by the end that I still do because they are awesome. He was probably also crazy. Fun stuff.

Feb 2, 17 2:11 pm  · 
 · 

I was just joking around. I need to get back into it. I was able to squat quite a bit for a while. 

Feb 2, 17 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I know, I know. And you don't need weights to squat, just do it wherever, whenever. I wish we didn't have open office plans in part because of this. In the 50's before there were cubicles, did office workers do push-ups and stuff? I always wondered.

Feb 2, 17 2:42 pm  · 
 · 

My favorite brief exercise is the sun salutation. Three of them revs me up and relaxes me simultaneously. Right now I'm not doing them because I wrenched my lower back and I'm still being careful with it.

I've got a shit-eating grin on my face about the fact that I'm leaving this job in a week. That also helps.

Feb 2, 17 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

good luck donna!  try to go out in style.  take pics.

Feb 2, 17 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
Donna, would going out in style be smashing a painting?
Feb 2, 17 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

maybe fix a painting that isn't quite right?

Feb 2, 17 8:30 pm  · 
 · 

Me in one week:

Feb 2, 17 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

I am sure I told this one before, but this one time (did really happen) - guy is getting mad, cleaning desk, like just shoving stuff into a trash bag. some of us get up "whoa whoa whoa". guy goes around the corner, comes back with a hammer in hand and starts to smash his computer screen. I put him in a wrestling hold from the back and another person knocks the hammer out his hand. boss takes him outside, a discussion, guy comes back in, basically says Fuck you to everyone and leaves a check on the desk to the company for $150 to cover smashed monitor. I mean you want to quit....

Feb 3, 17 7:50 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
^was it a CRT screen? Those things do have a satisfying crunch to them when you feel smashy.
Feb 3, 17 8:03 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

Worth $150.  Not sure why you stopped him.

Feb 3, 17 8:11 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

nah, just a boring LED screen

Feb 3, 17 8:11 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

What do you get when you put architects, surveyors and engineers into a room? A massive fucking problem, hold me tight lads. $$$$$$$$$$$ fuck ups yo.

Feb 3, 17 8:31 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I'm working on my mind-butt connection this morning (edit: afternoon!)!

Donna, has anyone ever called homeland security on you for doing sun salutations?

Feb 3, 17 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

tom brady get it together!!!

Feb 5, 17 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

just won $150. its coool brady. but bro win this. box points per quarter (1 atl and 3 ne) $150!!

Feb 5, 17 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

tom brady. period.

Feb 5, 17 10:26 pm  · 
 · 

Evacuation maps and safe haven maps. I'm losing my mind to boredom.

Eric Howeler's (Howeler and Yoon) Instagram has lots of images of evacuation maps from around the world. they're pretty interesting.

Feb 6, 17 1:24 pm  · 
 · 

I'm still thoroughly convinced that Instagram is the best social media for architects, period. All others are fake.

(Links in posts themselves would be all I'd ask for from them).

Feb 6, 17 2:00 pm  · 
 · 

No thank you, your popcorn is stale. I told you that yesterday.

Feb 7, 17 11:43 am  · 
 · 

Geez Rick, you can't even be considerate of those that are on Low-Carb diets. 

Feb 7, 17 12:04 pm  · 
 · 

Proud of your progress, Josh!

A reminder: Always just do the existing conditions survey yourself. No one else can ever do it the way you need it done, and it results in lots of wasted time. <sigh>

Feb 7, 17 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

note: republicans are getting ready to throw future school age kids and school age kids under the school bus.

Feb 7, 17 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

oh ya that is so they can throw a Tupperware Party  with De devil.

Feb 7, 17 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I've just had an eventful evening dog walk with a lost Bostonian man trying to find the AA in the Suburbs of London. Told me about Boston and how great London is.

What a lovely evening.

Feb 7, 17 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Submitted w/o comment...

Feb 7, 17 3:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: