Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Remember that thread about Michiganistan and Indianastan and making a sovereign nation? It was funny. A decade ago, probably.

I lopped off the end of my finger this morning. Got it all nicely bandaged up but typing is not going to be easy today as I finish my emergency egress stairwell signage schedule. Good times!

Mar 9, 16 9:26 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

ouch donna! How much is "the end"? We talking just the pad using an exacto or down to the first joint with some sort of power tool?

Mar 9, 16 9:31 am  · 
 · 

Left forefinger, half the fingernail and 3/8" of the right side of the tip. Chopping lettuce, which I then fed to my chickens. One of the girls is going to develop a taste for human flesh!

Mar 9, 16 10:32 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

watch how bobby flay turns his finger tips in on his left hand

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/basic-knife-skills-63077.html

Mar 9, 16 11:03 am  · 
 · 

I do exactly that, curt, when I remember to! My husband taught me this after years of restaurant work. I was tired, pre-caffeine, and in a hurry this morning. Woke my son up swearing when I did it!

Mar 9, 16 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

A lesson I learned the hard way as well.  Mario Batali taught me his technique on The Chew, great show to watch if you like chef'ing...

Mar 9, 16 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

well at least it will grow back and not be noticeably disfigured. 

I got a couple of knives from Korin 3-4 years ago to step up my chef game (now that i'm trying to actually be an adult) and tagged myself real good a couple times before adopting better technique.

Mar 9, 16 12:36 pm  · 
 · 

The thing is I consider super sharp knives to be very, very important. I grew up with kitchen knives one could shave with - my dad's a metallurgist. And sharp knives are far safer than dull. But we've been so crazy overwhelmed lately - work, side jobs, commercial real estate purchases, family health problems - that for the last week I've been saying to myself "I really need to sharpen this knife soon..." But I didn't. Now I pay the price.

There's a moral in that story somewhere.

Mar 9, 16 1:36 pm  · 
 · 

It happens to everyone, including budding chefs, and always at the worst time.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14830337

Mar 9, 16 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

OK, working on submittals, I'm acting as the project architect here, although I am a designer...  Anyway, do I call my comments "architect's comments"  or "designer's comments".  For simplicity's sake I am the architect's (firm) rep here, but this seems like one of those gray areas...

Mar 9, 16 3:32 pm  · 
 · 

Architect's comments. You're representing the firm. It's not grey at all.

Mar 9, 16 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Thanks Donna

Mar 9, 16 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Have you guys noticed Balkins hasn't been around? He emailed me after curtkram suggested it. We emailed back and forth a bit. Maybe I was able to help him. 

Mar 9, 16 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i hope you were able to say something that helped him.  everyone needs a little help once in a while, and maybe he'll come out of this a bit happier and more confident.

Mar 9, 16 6:51 pm  · 
 · 

I got myself with a Japanese chisel a couple months ago. Needless to say I keep my tools razor sharp, and the Japanese tools are made the same way as Samurai swords.

All I did was lay my hand on it sight unseen, sliced the inside fat part of my left pinky wide and deep. Closed it up with two butterflies and it healed OK except the edges are a bit misaligned. And it feels a bit pinched when I stretch it out flat.

Balkins hasn't posted in 24 hours? I guess that's a god start. Let's see how long it lasts. I've been avoiding A'nect because so much of it has been centered on him. And to think I used to support him here. Apparently the road to hell really is paved with good intentions.

Mar 9, 16 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

In other news my drawings have been rejected by the projects document controller, fuck this.

Mar 10, 16 4:34 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

and i got a 3 round approval finally. fyi, for you nyc architects, TPPN #55/88 was rescinded 12/15/15 which means if you were using it for a job under 1968 code, no good, that was the also known as 55/87 amendments to ANSI for smaller ADA sizes....go updated apapted ADA - Type B + NYC........or in general, even if you qualify for under 1968 code review, best to check it against the 2014 code.............bummer archiwut8 - these thinga happen and i always let my clients know you can count on nothing with the department

Mar 10, 16 6:26 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

well don't summom "him" for christ sake.

Mar 10, 16 6:27 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

'What the hell have they done?' Spanish castle restoration mocked

Carlos Quevedo, the architect who oversaw the restoration of the castle, which has been declared a heritage site of cultural interest, pointed out that the project had been painstaking, professional, and legal.

Does it matter when it's a hack job?  Spain seems to be it's own special corner of the world when it comes to historical preservation.

Mar 10, 16 11:03 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The image on the right appears a much more accurate depiction of the character.

Mar 10, 16 11:08 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

For clarification, the fresco "resto" is a very famous case from (4?) years ago now, where an old woman with good intentions failed to live up to her fellow villager's expectations...  The castle "resto" I don't know what to call it...

Mar 10, 16 11:31 am  · 
 · 

From what I've read of the castle restoration the architects did exactly what they were told to do: stabilize the original material, show the original size of the structure, and clearly delineate historical material from new.

People don't know what they want.

That fresco project makes me laugh every damn time.

Mar 10, 16 11:49 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i love that castle restoration.  there is a point where you can't really build it back the way it was.  they could have come back with new limestone, new grout, new methods, and a bunch of awkward looking stuff that looks like it doesn't belong, and ended up with the equivalent of a poorly done patch process like the fresco.

instead, they just accepted that the new part is new and the old part is old.  why try to hide what you're doing?

ultimately this isn't really a building anymore.  soldiers aren't using it for fortification, or whatever it's original intent was.  it is now a sculpture.  they could have left it stand and let nature take it's course the way it does, in which case it would be a testament of time and a sculpture representing the way the past was (which, much like cold November rain, doesn't last forever).  now they have a sculpture of a preserved piece of history, essentially encased in modern day amber.

Mar 10, 16 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

It does look like they did a fine job if this is what was intended.  Could you imagine the fallout from the historical preservation types is someday this were to be done to something like Mesa Verde or reconstructing the Great Kiva in Chaco Canyon?  I guess there must be a disconnect between American preservationism and what they do in Spain.

Mar 10, 16 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I like how the architect is blamed, as though absolutely no one reviewed the plans before the work started

Mar 10, 16 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

it sounds like the castle was going to fall down due to a series of storms.  it was this or let it be gone forever, right?

if a tornado ripped through mesa verde and destroyed it, what options would there really be for preservationists?  maybe fine the tornado?  sue god?

Mar 10, 16 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

I like me some nice ruins, to each their own...

Mar 10, 16 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I quite like it actually, however as a restoration project it sucks.

Mar 10, 16 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

How is that all that much different than what has been done here? 

And i'm not talking about the obviously modern viewing platform area. 

Mar 10, 16 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

They could have consulted with the people of Dresden

Mar 10, 16 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i got to see dresden while they were still putting it back together volunteer.  really amazing what they did.

still, not the same thing.

Mar 10, 16 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

AIA commercials tonight during & after the debate on CNN, thought they were well done.

Mar 10, 16 11:59 pm  · 
 · 

Hmm... I didn't see any of them..... damn.... 

Mar 11, 16 12:06 am  · 
 · 

It's a  very good commercial, and it better explains the broader, more poetic notion of "looking up" than did the first commercials.

Have to admit I cringed at the mom keeping an eye on the kids and dinner, though. Why not show a dad doing that? Or show a mom in her home office keeping an eye on the kids and her medical supply business at the same time? Grr.

Mar 11, 16 10:18 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

I suppose these debates are much like the superbowl, you watch them for the commercials...  I'm having a very difficult time believing the field of candidates we have this year are really the cream of the crop.  The only one of them that I see that approaches a leader of the people is Bernie, the rest are nothing other than corporate lackeys.  I don't see Drumpf as anything more than a ringer planted to help Hillary get elected.  I need to check in to see how South Park is covering this...

Mar 11, 16 10:31 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

just checked out the commercial online.

it looks like they are trying to focus on very small scale projects.  the homemaker lady i would assume is to drum up interest for residential architecture.  after that though, is a homeless shelter, a picnic table at a school, a tree house, a slide for kids.

all framing for 'under construction' pictures are type V.  even in the beginning, there are a couple people with wood framing behind them.  nobody likes type V construction.  it's a pain the ass.  the only steel we really see is a pre-engineered metal building.

Mar 11, 16 10:31 am  · 
 · 

Think, to quote Marc Miller on this thread, that they are showing smaller projects to push the idea of "Shaping cities by creating tools to project performance and impacts instead of limiting (the) process to describing form at the limits of the parcel." This describes exactly what we should be doing. In addition, of course to building "A shelter for the soul", as Mockbee said.

Mar 11, 16 10:42 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Mr_Wiggin....the term "None of the above" goes back as far as the Ford administration, nothing new about that phenomenon.

Think showing smaller structures in the commercial was more in tune with the majority of its members and the majority of people who are yet to discover architects…why preach to the choir?

Mar 11, 16 10:54 am  · 
 · 

tintt, you are totally leaning in on that dimension thread and I am really, really enjoying it!  I applaud your stamina and clear arguments. Well done.

Mar 11, 16 11:01 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Donna, I did read that book. And I think women are treated differently like you mentioned in that thread. I had a crew build a ramp for me right in front of me so I wouldn't have to step up a 30" step. I felt more like a princess then than on my wedding day. I don't know if that is what allows me to dimension face of finish and I don't even think I've ever had to have a wall or opening reframed, ever. I also have less experience too than most, so am ready to listen, but I'm just not hearing much. Maybe more women should be on site, maybe there would be less pissing, in more than one meaning. 

I saw a tiny restaurant get designed and built to a 1/4" tolerance. Nobody had room to take a shit inside any walls or anything anywhere, that was for sure. 

Mar 11, 16 11:45 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

got 5 new clients plus 2 returning for my other business this week and talking to another soon. Got another project I am going to start calling drink a draw, my third. The homeowner, a few friends, the contractor and I survey and measure a space (basements so far) over some fine beers while I draw as-builts and sketch out some designs with more beers of course. Like the places where you can go paint and drink and socialize, but interior design/architecture and in your home. 

Mar 11, 16 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Also that way, I get to watch them in their natural environment. 

Mar 11, 16 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Drink and Draw. I'm so excited I can't even type. Happy Friday!

Mar 11, 16 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

tintt, you are in Denver, right? 

Are you doing mostly residential?

It looks like RiNo and South Broadway are popping off right now. Is Highlands played out yet?

Mar 11, 16 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

arch, yes live in Denver. I free-lance part time, working for an architect (non-local) and also am a creative consultant and marketing director for my husband's education business. I am doing these basements for my brother-in-law and his friends. They are all home brewers too. 

Mar 11, 16 12:54 pm  · 
 · 

I also have almost more freelance work than I can handle right now, also mostly residential. I'm getting pretty tired.

tintt we do get different treatment on the jobsite, certainly, and to me it goes back to communication styles. Very, very generally: women working on a problem are trying to find a solution; men working on a problem are trying to be the one who comes up with the solution. That's what I see when I work with groups of men v. groups of women.

I also feel, constantly, like I don't have enough experience, so I want to hear solutions from others and am so willing to listen. But then I hear a clearly stupid proposal and realize maybe I *do* know what I'm talking about!

Maybe if we all had a drink before starting the work the communication woudl go better.

Mar 11, 16 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

And I'm a drafter/designer for an NGO founed by some University of Denver grads who build infrastructure in a remote village in Guatemala, kinda like Architecture for Hunamity, but small.

Mar 11, 16 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I can get more of these basement jobs from the contractors, archanonymous, they are looking for designers. Are you moving back to Denver? I can hook you up. 

Mar 11, 16 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

sounds busy but fulfilling! 

I waffle back and forth about moving back.

I am starting to gain some traction here as a (nearly - licensed) architect and architecture critic. At the same time I miss Colorado and want to have my own shop. Chicago is not the place for that.

Will definitely get in touch if I do move back though. I would most likely do free-lance work if I moved back - either remotely or for a local shop - so that's right up my alley.

Mar 11, 16 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

to arch.: and yes, RiNo is really changing, it isn't too far from where I live but haven't been over there for awhile, probably should. Light rail to DIA is opening this spring. Breweries are everywhere. Pot shops are everywhere. New restaurants too. Goes hand in hand, ha. People are everywhere. Everybody is busy, lots of opportunities. Highlands is still hip but yeah starting to get played out I guess. South Broadway, yes, yes. Everything is hot really. you should move back. :)

Mar 11, 16 1:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: