Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

I know how to pronounce cardamom, I just don't like it. It makes me feel queasy.

Aug 1, 14 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

it is pronounced shy town, as in shytown hustler, a famous dragster from my youth that often ran on Sunday!Sunday!Sunday! at US 30 dragstrip.

Aug 3, 14 9:32 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

GL, where is the accent? On the chee? the ca? or on the go? like, "Go, CHICA, GO!"

Aug 3, 14 9:37 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

the chicago accent is one for movies about chicago with actors not from chicago. most residents of chicago are alums of neighboring big ten universities who have come to the big city to make their money and where their various big ten university hoodies during football season. 

Aug 3, 14 10:49 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

the final season of The Killing is on Netflix. The victim is a rich anal retentive architect who is murdered along with most of his family in a sleek white pristine home. 

Aug 3, 14 11:07 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Chai is pronounced Ch as in chop, and a long I - IF you are talking Indian chai. The Ethiopians pronounce it differently. Also, never say chai tea. The Indians and Pakis will all laugh at you. Chai means tea, so you're just saying tea tea.

I haven't had the Ethiopian chai, yet. I should ask a student to bring me some.
Aug 3, 14 12:06 pm  · 
 · 

Because I am old, and far outside of contemporary culture in many ways, I'm just now watching Breaking Bad.  Walt is an asshole, but I'm enjoying the stories, and the views of ABQ and the desert.

Aug 4, 14 10:20 am  · 
 · 

I just attended a ;lunch courtesy of Blood Hound Under Ground, our utility location company.  They did a lunch-n-learn for engineers and contractors....and my goodness, what a tough crowd!  Every AIA monthly meeting/presentation I've ever been to has been more prone to laughter, bawdy comments, and enthusiastic applause from the audience.  I guess architects know how to have fun off the clock, engineers don't.

Aug 4, 14 1:41 pm  · 
 · 

Turkish tea, called çay (pronounced Chai, per Sarah's pronunciation)

Aug 4, 14 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

My body is 47 but my sense of humor is still 12.

Aug 6, 14 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Took mrs snooker to the doctor for some test. They could not do the test, cause they want her Doctor to authorize a different test.  She is a mess,  and it seems Thursday is the day her Doctor takes off from work.  So now we have to suffer most likely till next week.  

Aug 6, 14 9:27 pm  · 
 · 

Oh snook I hope Mrs. Snook is ok and gets better!

Aug 6, 14 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

haha you said boner.

Aug 7, 14 7:33 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Just landed a big job and hired a new employee. Time to celebrate!

Aug 7, 14 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
Excellent, tint! Congratulations!
Aug 7, 14 9:51 pm  · 
 · 

Non Sequitur just posted a picture of a water-skiing squirrel on another thread.  It cracked me up, and lately I've been wondering what squirrels think of us.  They're practically domesticated animals, right?  When I walk the dog they scurry away but if I make the squirrel chatter noise they come close and look at me curiously.  I just wonder what is going through their little brains about humans.

Aug 8, 14 9:40 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Thanks Donna. I just came back from 8 days camping in Yosemite and all I can say is that the squirrels there (as a result of inconsiderate tourists)  rival most house cats in size. We had to chase them out of our car more than once... how they managed to squeeze in before the doors closed is a mystery... or sorcery. Squirrel Sorcery = squircery!

patent pending.

I have 5 fat raccoon (and 3 skunks) that live in my urban backyard, we consider them part of our family.

Aug 8, 14 9:50 am  · 
 · 

Squircery LOL.  I will adopt this terminology.  They use squircery to steal my tomatoes, damn them.

Aug 8, 14 9:51 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Those sneaky buggers.

Aug 8, 14 10:12 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Squirrels in my neighborhood reportedly have the plague so I don't let them get too close. But if they have the plague, why are there so many?

Aug 8, 14 10:17 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i had a bunch of green tomatoes.  i was excited to eat them once they turned red.  not a single one made it.  i'm going to build a greenhouse.  however, i find myself with the same problem as many of my clients, where what i can afford just isn't lining up with what i want.

i will plan on putting anti-squircery warding spells on my greenhouse once it's done.

Aug 8, 14 10:26 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Curt, you can build a hot frame from an old door or window. I've never done it, but they look easy and fun. 

Aug 8, 14 11:01 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

thanks tint.  i didn't think of that, but i just knocked a bunch of windows out of my house too...

Aug 8, 14 11:04 am  · 
 · 

Ugh, curt that's where I'm headed! I keep picking the tomatoes *just* before they're ripe enough because I'm fearful if I wait another day they'll be lost to the power of squircery.

One year I wrapped the whole raised bed in chicken wire.  It did work, but made harvesting more difficult.

Aug 8, 14 11:16 am  · 
 · 
3tk

Squircery, ha!  The UofMN student paper was full of squirrel conspiracy stories (they being the Gophers, it made sense).

I've got chicken wire around the entire garden (which they'll climb over on occasion and the chipmunks can still squeeze through on their way in.  I've noticed they usually are going for the juice when it's dry out.  A light spray of garlic infused oil with a dusting of cayenne pepper seems to keep them away.  Just make sure to wash them before you eat!

Aug 8, 14 12:50 pm  · 
 · 

Squircery is almost a googlewhack with one term.

Weird garden year. Season 2-3 weeks behind and cooler than normal. My Thai chili peppers are nowhere near bearing fruit. Also one of the summer squash plant just went belly up. Great cherry tomatoes though, like eating candy off a vine. And have put up 6 quarts of pickles so far.

Aug 8, 14 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Any of you folks know of people in the SF area? I'd like to put out some networking tendrils.

Aug 8, 14 3:40 pm  · 
 · 

What type of work, SneakyPete? Straight architecture or something tangentially related?

I am going home now.  Half an hour of power yoga then bourbon and pizza. Good weekend everyone!

Aug 8, 14 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

All of the above. I'm not entirely sure whether I want to stay in the practice, need to see what else is out there tangentially related. I currently hold a job, I simply want to get out there.

Aug 8, 14 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
I love the squirrels in my neighborhood. They are still the old red squirrels. Non of that French grey squirrel interbreeding here!
Aug 8, 14 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Donna,  Mrs snook...did fine with her test today....and we went for the best  "Peaches and Cream"  Ice cream to celebrate.

Earlier this year I rebuilt or raise bed garden and well the Tomatoes are like giant plants with  lots of tomatoes, zukes are also doing great, and green beans which are not in garden are providing us ample greens so we can mix things up during the we week. 

Our apple tree was given a  drastic hair cut this past winter but not early enough so no Tomatoes so I thought, due to the trim.  However I was talking to an  older friend who has four trees in her yard and she was telling me they have no  apples, so maybe it was just the localized weather killing the blossoms in the late Spring.

We are busy doing a new restaurant  at an old restaurant location.  It is one of those non stop projects. Mrs S is doing menus, signage , interior table chair selections with the owner.  I'm crafting the over all build out.  Working with  a lot of great people to get a job done in a short period of time.   Learned some interesting things on this project, like how to age new hemlock wood to make it look old with simple off the shelf products.

We also closed out two projects this past week.  Thank God!

Have a proposal to write this weekend for  a property and client with a lot of promise.

Have another proposal to write this weekend for a property with  a nyc  designer for the build out of there project.  Not so excited about that one as preliminary drawings look a little lacking and very expensive to build and the owner has already  started looking for ways to make the project look less expensive. 

Have another house proposal for a younger couple. New house they seem nice enough, just hope we can guide them in the right direction.

Then I have a bucket load of other projects we are trying to keep under control.  It has been a seven day a week kind of Summer.

Aug 8, 14 9:02 pm  · 
 · 

the owner has already  started looking for ways to make the project look less expensive

I can think of lots of really expensive ways to do that.

Aug 10, 14 11:08 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

A foam pediment or two should do the trick.

Aug 11, 14 11:08 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I once worked on a project where they VE'd out EIFS.

Aug 11, 14 3:03 pm  · 
 · 

^ LOL 

Aug 11, 14 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I want to be a value engineering consultant, just for the contradiction inherent in the job title. -- Sitting in the airport now. i flew in this morning, interviewed, signed letters of intent, and flying home currently. This feels like the calm before the storm - when i get home i have 2 weeks to pack my life up and move to a new city, and i still have a solo art design show to complete and mount for October 1... in my old city no less.

Aug 11, 14 9:25 pm  · 
 · 

hi TC!

I woke up at 6am Sat to swim down the Ichetucknee River from head-springs (they reach capacity at 8:30 am), then spent afternoon/evening at work. also, did yoga night before great weekend!

Aug 11, 14 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
I bet you're pretty proud of that one. Glad you know what an equals sign is. Congrats, man.
Aug 12, 14 12:37 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I like that the ad at the top of the forums is  "become a certified personal trainer!"  ... With pictures of 6-pack abs.

Aug 12, 14 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

that ad is probably tailored to your search patterns.  mine is a hard drive.

Aug 12, 14 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Mine was an add from McDonalds.

Aug 12, 14 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

McDonalds? The ad bots think I should get an M Arch. 

Aug 12, 14 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

there are ads on here?

Aug 12, 14 5:12 pm  · 
 · 

OK you guys this is very important: what drawing convention do you use for CENTERLINES?

long dash ,short dash, long dash

or

long dash, dot, long dash

?

Aug 12, 14 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Long dash, short dash, long dash. 

Aug 12, 14 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

LD,SD,LD

according to the national cad standard dash dot dash is for contract limit line.

http://www.nationalcadstandard.org/ncs5/pdfs/ncs5_uds6.pdf

Aug 13, 14 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

I just prefer the dash-dot-dash so much.  Hmmm, it's a quandary.

Aug 13, 14 2:02 pm  · 
 · 

A dot is just a really short dash. Just be consistent with your style, and notate C/L if less than perfectly clear.

Aug 13, 14 2:06 pm  · 
 · 

Hahaha though I'm at risk of leading us down the same path as the discussion on Moebius strips...in reality a dot is just a veryveryvery short dash, but it's meant to represent a point, which is *not* a line at all.

Aug 13, 14 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
But dots are circles, and dashes are rectangles.
Aug 13, 14 6:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: