Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Sarah Hamilton

Yay, Donna, that was my favorite line.  I'm not a Gosling Gander, but the line is awesome.  I would pay someone to use that as a pickup line in a bar, or at an AIA meeting....

And it seems to me, Beta, you just need to not shave, or wash your hair, then sit on the porch in nice light, and eat a bowl of cereal.  Oh, and stare down something in the distance.

Jan 13, 12 10:03 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

While looking for photos of my childhood playground, I came across this site http://playgrounddesigns.blogspot.com/2011/04/wikado-playground-2012-architecture.html Their playground rocks! All the ones around us are pretty boring. By the way, anybody have any pictures of what seemed like a 6story tower with various slides coming off the upper platform? They've since torn don the one in Thomas A Cloud park.

Jan 14, 12 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

for a good laugh, check out what this well-known firm (named on p1, paragraph 7) is working on lately:

it's got a time machine!

happy new year, all!

Jan 14, 12 9:06 pm  · 
 · 

Not as hot as Mr. Gosling, but I'm getting my geek on about this.

Sarah, there is a renaissance in playground design - in NYC van Valkenburg is doing some pretty amazing things. I'm still trying to figure out the designer of those 1960s parabaloid concrete climbers (there's one near my house but has no identifying labels) and the space-age metal structures that inhabited the playgrounds of my 70s youth. There was a recent article about the inventor of the jungle gym.

(via pruned)

or this

or this

guess I'll have to blog about these memories at some point.

Jan 14, 12 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Sadly, the park behind my house is slowly losing the equipment it did have. The teeter otters are gone, and the slide, even if it was one of the awful plastic tube ones, disappeared last month. All that's left are the swings and a stegosaurus monkey bar thing.

Jan 14, 12 10:43 pm  · 
 · 

Here's one of the metal climbing structures that evokes the 1939 world's fair.

Jan 14, 12 11:02 pm  · 
 · 

Oh my that elephant with the slide trunk is awesome.

Our swim club has a relic playground with some very cool old equipment including one of those carousel things - the spinning monkey bar on a diamond steel plate that kids ALWAYS fall of of and get the wind knocked out of them, get dragged by and hit their head, etc.  It's nice to have a totally "unsafe" piece of equipment still around!

Elinor, that article makes me wretch.  ugh.

Jan 15, 12 10:25 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I agree. I wish we still had all that kind of stuff. I'm loving that multi-colored geo-thing and the igloo. For some of us, that would be the only igloo we'd ever get to play in.

Jan 15, 12 10:52 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

ELINOR....DID YOU SEE WHO THE  ARCHITECT WAS....NONE OTHER THAN THE LARGEST FIRM IN THE  USA....sigh...THEY ALSO DO BRANDING FOR THE AUTOMOBILE INDUSTRY.  MAYBE THERE IS A CONNECTION....scratching arshe....just thinking....

Jan 15, 12 11:48 am  · 
 · 
elinor

yep, i saw...and shed a few tears for the young architects down there in atlanta who are undoubtedly pulling all-nighters drafting up contraptions for a crackpot cult....yuck.

how do you put that in your portfolio??  ' i worked for 3 years as junior interior designer for...this darkened domed running track for cult slaves...'

Jan 15, 12 12:19 pm  · 
 · 

Sci Arc, Glen Small and Ahdi Lahti studio, La Arana orphanage playground, Tijuana (mid 70's)

Jan 15, 12 12:36 pm  · 
 · 

As the parent of a 2 and 5 year old, playground design has become a major focus of my attention these days. It seems like here in LA there are one or two playground equipment manufacturers that have dominated the market with their formed plastic, super-safe designs. It's so exciting to find playgrounds that have old-school structures, like a bunch of those Barry posted above, but I find that those are rare to find in populated, urban environments these days.

The other day we found the most amazing playground tucked into a residential neighborhood in Laguna Beach (Bluebird Park). This was my favorite part, albeit just part of the big playground:

If playgrounds are your bag, check out the Playscapes blog.

Jan 15, 12 2:04 pm  · 
 · 

Central Park at Playa Vista by Michael Maltzan Architects

very interesting terrain. i don't have it here but children are great to figure out what to do with abstractions. more so than adults. i am also interested in children's playgrounds as someone who is a child at heart.

Jan 15, 12 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I've also been enjoying the playborhood blog lately.  

Jan 15, 12 2:46 pm  · 
 · 

there are lots of those old play structures around tokyo still.  the areas where foreigners live have replaced them with the plastic stuff more than in other place.  then again we have no kids in the city to play on them cuz of greying of the nation so maybe is  sad ...

Jan 15, 12 6:47 pm  · 
 · 

unrelated to the playground thing, if a anyone is interested AFH tokyo (i am cofounder of tokyo chapter) is co-hosting a monthly forum that tries to connect tohoku disaster area to tokyo  and the rest of the world in general and it is live streamed.  do check it out here.   some interesting projects and discussions...

Jan 15, 12 6:50 pm  · 
 · 

i have several playscape posts tagged for another look.

Claremont has a few remnant pieces of old-school (pun intended) equipment scattered amongst the banality of risk-reduced mass-produced equipment. Our favorite playground has several large boulder 'mountains' each rising about 5' above the sand. I'll try to grab a pic next time we're there.

Jan 15, 12 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Oh no, not over 5 feet?! That's soo dangerous!

Jan 15, 12 10:29 pm  · 
 · 

just pulled over for two young racist cops on MLK day for overdue license tags (DMV's fault for not sending it already.) i was handcuffed and the young officer made sure to extra tighten it to leave some bruise ring on my wrist. i was put in the back of a police car in the neighborhood vicinity while they were investigating my records. while all the "stakeholders" thanking the cops that they have yet nailed one more vagrant person in their neighborhood. at the end, fix it ticket for all that abuse.

racial profiling is well and alive. 

when i was uncuffed, i very calmly i told their face to watch their back if they keep treating people like major criminals, and said, it is just another reason many people dislike cops for this kind of fascist behavior. both of them looked just like pigs with their red face and overweight body for police officers with their jaws dropped caused by a perfect sentence and meaning, i got in my car and left with a fix it ticket that is just another hassle for me to go to DMV, get the delayed license renewal sticker, and take it to where ever they write those things off...

happy MLK day. 

Jan 16, 12 8:57 pm  · 
 · 

Oh, Orhan.  That just sucks.  So awful.  

Jan 16, 12 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Orhan, that does suck.

Quick Old Fashioned question.  I don't have any bitters, whatever that is, and the liquor store is 3 towns over.  Can I just squeeze in some orange rind?  I'm only asking because we are out of scotch, so we can't have our usual rusty nail nightcap.  Remember the liquor is over 30 miles away.  I figured the old fashioned would be a decent fall-back.

Jan 17, 12 1:16 pm  · 
 · 

I think making it with crushed orange rind would be tasty, but it won't be an Old Fashioned w/o the bitters.  Just name it your own concoction!    And remember that other delicious partners to bourbon are almond extract and grapefruit.

Jan 17, 12 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I love grapefruit, but husband can't stand it. To each their own I guess.

Jan 17, 12 2:19 pm  · 
 · 

bitters is a concoction of bitter herbs so won't be same but still delicious. i do all the time.

Hey TC!

Jan 17, 12 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

My yahoo mail has crashed.  I wonder if it's a blackout?

Jan 18, 12 5:15 pm  · 
 · 

I really want to pay some serious attention to this discussion, but at the moment (over half into an Old Fashioned without having eaten much today) I can't.  Soon.

Jan 18, 12 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

So I'll say this instead, before I go to the kitchen and attempt my first Be Bim Bap, I recently finished The Fault In Our Stars, and it is a beautiful story about teenagers with terminal illness.  If you know anyone with an ill child, I recommend it.  It's fiction, and painful, but lovely.

Jan 18, 12 6:06 pm  · 
 · 

I really wish I could share my proposal for the new playground (part of the Jamaica 50th independence). Sadly the design is still not public and we are worried it may not see the light of day with the new government. Anyway... fingers crossed we'll break ground before summer

Jan 18, 12 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

humm...see Donna is on an, " Old Fashioned Diet"....think I'm going to switch over and join her as I have been working on taking off a few pounds since the first of the year..It has not been Hell just because the Mrs has joined me in this adventure.

Jan 19, 12 8:34 am  · 
 · 

ugh. i've had to trade my evening bourbon (or beer) for nyquil.

Jan 19, 12 8:53 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Woah, Steven Ward is alive!

Jan 19, 12 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

wow TC almost fell off the first page. It's been a while since that has happened.

How's everyone doing in 2012?

Jan 20, 12 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I'm fighting with sketch-up.  You?

Jan 20, 12 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

ice cube on the eames.

Jan 20, 12 7:55 pm  · 
 · 

im going to be working 6am-6pm for next 5 days. starting tomorrow. in jax now.

2012 is going good so far. trying to make it more productive than last year. off to a good start?...

Jan 20, 12 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

SW - I hope you feel better soon. I was where you are last week but after a round of steroids and antibiotics I'm halfway back to normal. Crossing fingers I don't end up passing the contagion to bf/future husband.

Jan 20, 12 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I spent my day doing field measuring, hoping it turns into a great lil 2012 project.  We are keeping all our toes and fingers crossed on this one. 

Jan 21, 12 5:34 pm  · 
 · 

I was in JAX for new years eve. Lovely place - I could live there. 

Drove 3.5 hours to a site meeting. Lovely site facing the sea. Beach was buzzing with activity.

Jan 21, 12 11:20 pm  · 
 · 

oh wait the top sentence has nothing to do with bottom one

Jan 22, 12 9:43 am  · 
 · 

david, you can't be talking about jacksonville, fl, right?

Jan 22, 12 10:22 am  · 
 · 

yeah what Phillip said?

Jan 22, 12 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Crazy, I read that as Jacksonville Mississippi.

Jan 22, 12 10:10 pm  · 
 · 

i thought it was a place invented by dr. seuss and was waiting for someone to provide the rest of the rhyme.

Jan 22, 12 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I know you californians are all about your In and Out burgers, but since they started putting locations in here, I've become a bit annoyed with them. Why? Because they are turning every location into a little slice of California. It's all stucco, spanish tile, and PALM TREES!! This is Dallas! Sure, the palms will grow, and sure, people put palms almost anywhere they install a swimming pool, but In and Out doesn't have a swimming pool. Grrrrr. It really tans my hide.

Jan 23, 12 1:25 pm  · 
 · 

JAX - Jacksonville, Florida folks. The place did a snake charm on me. I can't seem to shake it from my system. The missus likes it too. 

Jan 23, 12 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

David, you aren't nearly old enough to be moving to Florida.

Jan 23, 12 6:24 pm  · 
 · 

david, did you take a crazy pill? i was born and raised in jax and can't imagine ever moving back... it has grown a ton since i left (1996) but i still can't think of it as a real city... plus, you have to drive 30 minutes to get anywhere since it is so spread out...

Jan 23, 12 8:23 pm  · 
 · 

So thank the heavens we have another television show that features an architect. Jeremy Sisto plays George Altman, a single father and architect from New York City, who decides to move upstate to the suburbs wanting a better life for his daughter, Tessa.

All is right within the word. Except we have an architect that designs Dim Sum restaurants and thinks the suburbs are the solution for having a better life.

Jan 23, 12 9:01 pm  · 
 · 

hi all! tomorrow is my last day or working 6-6 then i get to go home!

Jan 24, 12 6:57 am  · 
 · 
postal

huh, didn't even realize Sisto was supposed to be an architect in Suburgatory.  I've watched a few episodes, and I'm not a fan.  The jabs at suburbanites are crass and lame.  If you thought suburban housewives hadn't been exaggerated enough, this might be the show for you.  I've turned this on a few times to fuel mine and my wife's argument of city vs. burb, not a good idea.  It'll just make you look like an asshole.  Alan Tudyk's character is great though.

Jan 24, 12 9:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: