anchor

Thread Central

farmer

is it boring being an archinect god?
is it lonely at the top?

Apr 11, 06 6:59 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Somebody joined a couple of days ago using my initials as a username. Is it selfish of me to hope that they don't post a lot? I mean, it freaks me out a little because I'm like, wait a second, that's not ME....

Eh, it's my own fault for not grabbing it a while ago.

Apr 11, 06 8:50 am  · 
 · 

i am just afraid which school i should go threads are going to turn into, i am in that school now but which computer i should buy threads.

Apr 11, 06 10:20 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

This post is a little 39th birthday present to myself. I've been a bit absent lately and want to acknowledge a couple things via a shamelessly sentimental "I Love Everybody" type post.

Orhan, the Glen Small feature is incredible. Thank you so much for doing the interview and getting it posted - it is not a small (haha) amount of work to follow through on something like this and it is incredible that you did it for us all to enjoy. Despite the type of work I do now (high end residential, mostly) I can't let go entirely of a belief that architecture can change the world. I know it does, usually on small scales and in quiet ways, but it is important to also see people really devoting their energy and life's work to a bigger belief than finding a cool bathroom vanity. Of course on archinect we are free to discuss both (as on the old responsible architecure vs. creative masturbation thread, and that is what makes this place so wonderful. I love when we get into nitty-gritty detail discussions, like this January thread brick bearing wall detail, and people are willing to share both technical knowledge and philosophical stance. Jeepers I love architects.

I love that archinect is so populated by intelligent people who are - important! - willing to share their knowledge! Look at any of the current "what do you recommend?" threads, like great beer, current book obsessions (or current cd's), or what graphic card? - people are so eager to be helpful. And as architects we have to deal with so much compromise and crap that it is heartwarming to see how we haven't completely lost our desire/innate need to help and inform. (I will insert a small rant here referencing the graphics card thread: for god's sake people if you start a new thread check to make sure that at least the thread title is spelled correctly! The number of incorrect spellings on the front page is ridiculous. end rant.)

rationalist, I'm sorry we couldn't all be more helpful with your fulbright request. Obviously no one knows much about it or we all would have responded. Of course it could have gone the other way and gotten a ton of smartass comments, a la poor sweet SuperBeatledud's entourage help entry, which had me falling off my chair laughing: every now and then we just get giddy and the results are so often hilarious! Sorry SBD that no one could help but thank you so much for having a sense of humor about it! Of course the best-ever smart ass responses to a serious request for help was the fast help please thread, in which some lost soul named libyanarchitect asked for something related to cancer hospital design and all we could talk about was the duckbilled platypus. Though in my (our) defense, we tried asking him/her to clarify the question so we actually could help - it just all turned into a train wreck though. But a funny train wreck.

I noticed today that the hottest female architect is back on the first page. I feel like I never sufficiently acknowledged mewstreamlinedmodels' valiant and intelligent attempts to bring some real discussion to our pondering of human aesthetics. I noticed similar attempts on the zaha if she was hot thread: newstreamlined, you obviously understand that the most erotic body part is the brain and being smart and curious is incredibly erotic. Of course by that definition pretty much all the regular posters here at Thread Central are so smokin' hot it's no wonder I keep coming back for more. I'm a 39 year old woman, after all.

OK I need to get back to work now because I'm having birthday lunch with vado and birthday dinner with my husband and yet still will have to work tonight towards a meeting on Thursday morning for which I am waaaaay behind! Have a great day all and thanks for being (t)here. I don't know what I'd do w/o archinect.

Apr 11, 06 10:39 am  · 
 · 

happy birthday! another aries with whom i get along well > i always heard that wasn't supposed to happen.

Apr 11, 06 10:47 am  · 
 · 
myriam

Ha ha, seriously, abra. On the other hand, mac/pc fights are always good for some riling-up.

Okay kids, I'll bite on the discussion thing. I walked to work today mulling over something that came up in a fascinating 1950s book I'm reading on urban planning (this book, also reviewed here, which was a fantastic, random $3 find one browsing day in the local used bookshop), and I'd love input.

Disclaimer: somehow I came out of school woefully poorly read and having taken zero theory or modern arch. history classes, so I'm desperately trying to catch up nowadays. I have a good working knowledge of the brief names and basic ideas of many of the "greats" but no real thorough, in-depth knowledge. I haven't read ANYTHING by ANYONE I should have. So. I need some help.

The section of the book I read this morning dealt with Corbusier's Voisin Plan for Paris. I'm decently familiar with the plan so that was no surprise. However, the authors referred to Corbu having "only contempt for the mason who 'bangs away with feet and hammer.'" They mention frequently that the Voisin Plan was based on mass-machined, interchangeable parts, referring of course to the "Machine for Living" idea and to Corbu's feelings about remote, dominant, precise industiry. (Seems very in keeping with the Swiss, personally).

So, my problem is, this just doesn't jibe with what I've seen of his work. At the Villa Savoye, and Ronchamps, and seemingly at Chandigaarh as well, everything is so beautifully rendered at such an intimately crafted scale; how could you truly achieve these things without a love for, and celebration of, the personal craftsman?! Particularly Ronchamps, which is so very, very site-specific. I mean, did he develop his ideas of machined, repeated, cellular living at a different point from his highly site- and construction-specific buildings? I don't get it. Am I missing something? The only thing I've read of his was his work on the concrete nursery school, which was pretty personal as well.

How do you reconcile the human Corbu ideas with the machined Corbu ideas? Are they meant for different times/places? Am I totally reading him wrong?

Apr 11, 06 10:49 am  · 
 · 
French

Just consider the attitude developped by Koolhas over the years and you'll see who he got it from (not to mention his architectural forms more than once). Plan voisin or the Algier project are rethoretical projects, there to be discussed and not to be actually built. In my point of view, these where more a part of a socio-political reflexion that has it's connections with architecture but are not directly related.

Apr 11, 06 10:56 am  · 
 · 
aml

happy birthday liberty bell!

Apr 11, 06 11:01 am  · 
 · 
aml

myriam:

remember corbu has several different phases. some of these took place at the same time, which makes it confusing. for example, shortly the white late 20's houses [savoye, cook, stein] were juxtaposed with the first urban plans.

now, both were supposed to be geared towards the machine for living concept. but you can see that corbu the architect is much more complex spatially and corbu the urban designer tends towards very geometrical, simplified concepts. this is another way to appreciate the human vs machined corbu you mention.

savoye may have some craft [arguable] but it was all simulating machine production [which it could not achieve, so it simulated]. now, ronchamps is another problem entirely. along with jaoul and others, these projects are part of a much later stage, when corbu shifted towards the vernacular.

chandigarth [sp?] would be before the last vernacular stage, part of the whole india projects, and somewhere in between- formally linked to the first formal exploration, but materially, the exposed concrete links it to the later vernacular stage.

ok, there must be some mistakes in this- i haven't checked any dates. feel free to bombard at will.

Apr 11, 06 11:10 am  · 
 · 

happy birthday lb.
it gets better and better.

great post. and yes, abra accidentaly started but you are the boss in 'thread central'.

Apr 11, 06 11:10 am  · 
 · 
French

oh yeah and happy birthday lb!

Apr 11, 06 11:14 am  · 
 · 

happy b-day LB!

myriam, i recall reading somewhere that corbusier himself partially denied the rigidity and lack of humanism of his earlier work; supposedly he refined his ideas as he aged/matured to include a bit more of the daily reality of the world he lived in. could explain at least a bit of your observation...

that might be a hallucination though.

Apr 11, 06 11:15 am  · 
 · 

my memory, i mean....

grey cells definitley getting greyer lately.

Apr 11, 06 11:17 am  · 
 · 
myriam

Fascinating!

Yes, after I wrote this I realized that Villa Savoye, while obviously pretty hand-made, was intended to look machined. Shouldn't have skipped over that important point. These are interesting things. I wish I had a handy theoretical summary of the lives of the greats...

Apr 11, 06 11:41 am  · 
 · 
AP

here's some birthday cheesecake for you, lb, covered in berries, (which, by the way, would beat bananas in a landslide).

Apr 11, 06 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
brickhouse

has anyone seen that thread that is about other threads where that one guy commented about the thread about other threads.........

i just blew my own mind.

Apr 11, 06 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
AP

myriam, a couple of anthologies come to mind...but they're of more recent theory (last 40 years):

Theorizing a New Agenda for Architecture : An Anthology of Architectural Theory 1965 - 1995 edited by Kate Nesbitt
and
[urlhttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0262581884/sr=1-1/qid=1144771580/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-8265243-2809467?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=books]Architecture Theory since 1968[/url] edited by K. Michael Hays

and the more recent Theoretical Anxiety and Design Strategies in the Work of Eight Contemporary Architects written by Rafael Moneo

Apr 11, 06 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
AP

damnit! = = = = == = = freakin equal sign!

myriam, a couple of anthologies come to mind...but they're of more recent theory (last 40 years):

Theorizing a New Agenda for Architecture : An Anthology of Architectural Theory 1965 - 1995 edited by Kate Nesbitt
and
Architecture Theory since 1968 edited by K. Michael Hays

and the more recent Theoretical Anxiety and Design Strategies in the Work of Eight Contemporary Architects written by Rafael Moneo

Apr 11, 06 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
aml

following on that, for the quickie version see kate nesbitt's introduction to the book- but this in reference to your lack of reading query, not to corbu- this is, as ap mentioned, much more recent [basically posmodernism -using the word as a historical time period reference]

Apr 11, 06 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
aml

myriam- for the modern history, best deal is kenneth frampton's modern architecture a critical history. you can read the chapters on corbu and it's pretty much what you were asking for [but it won't be super short- that font is pretty small and tightly packed].

Apr 11, 06 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
e

happy happy lb. i also just turned 39.

Apr 11, 06 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Awesome, I was wondering about the Frampton book. What about Curtis' Modern Arch? I just got a Border's gift certificate and was thinking of starting with those two.

Apr 11, 06 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
AP

i 2nd frampton. he's the man.

Apr 11, 06 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
aml

don't know about that one- i've been wanting to look at it for a while, but haven't been able to get a copy.

Apr 11, 06 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Happy birthday lb! I am still a few years short of 39 but I hope to be as smart as all of you are by the time I get there.....

Apr 11, 06 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
aml

[meant: don't know about the curtis]

Apr 11, 06 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

myriam-

i've read both the curtis and the frampton. the curtis reads a little more like say your Janson's history of art. less critical, more straight-up comprehensive survey.

i like manifestos though. so w/ 20th century stuff i like vers une architecture nouveau, or complexity and contradiction

moore's place of houses is quite good. i have a copy signed by donlyn lyndon.

Apr 11, 06 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I remember, e, that we were both turning 39 and I'm sorry I missed your actual day. I don't really worry about numbers - I've been calling myself "a 40-year-old woman" in my own mind for at least a year now - but I find that today I'm feeling a little melancholy about that number. Though I totally agree with abra - it's all just getting better and better. I'm always mealncholy on my birthday.

jump, I feel like that was how I learned about Corbu's (we called him in shorthand "Corbu" in Arizona though I guess more typically he is referred to as "Corb" epecially on the East Coast) later work too: that as he grew older he softened and became more interested in organic/hand-crafted forms. Though the notions of corbu the architect vs. corbu the urban planner that aml brought up certainly seem to have merit.

Apr 11, 06 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
Global Nomad

Hi all,

just registered on the basis of some of the threads, particulary the image only one and cannot for the life of me work out how to scale images to fit the available space.

Anyone fancy helping me out ?

cheers

PS happy birthday - i'll be 39 in november!

Apr 11, 06 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Global: welcome. Use the grey text below,a s you know, and after the end of your image text (usually image names end in ".jpg") enter a space, then "width=418" (no quotation marks) and then the last set of brackets. Only one space. You can enter numbers less than 418 too, but I think 418 is the max.

Apr 11, 06 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

Global - so do you tell people you're 38 and a half? I used to always tell people I was 5 and 3 months, or 7 and 7 months, but now, I just give the year. Sometimes I get the year wrong.

Apr 11, 06 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
aml

ACfA: you must love this one then? myriam, this conrads book is another good buy.

Apr 11, 06 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
Global Nomad

thanks liberty b
i'll try it out -
can't vouch for the quality of what i'll post though...

auguste

well, i think the strategy will be to say I am 48 - then everyone will be amazed at how good I look for my age - rather than obviously lying by saying i'm 30.

Apr 11, 06 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
aml

damned, a couple less comments and one more entry and i would have been 10:400, not golden mean but the more obscure r.m. schindler 1:4 ratio related.

aml

Total Entries: 9
Total Comments: 401

04/11/06 12:49

Apr 11, 06 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

happy birthday LB!

I was ears deep in way too much work on my birthday so I worked some 20 hours and missed it. But then a few days ago my girlfriend made me a cheesecake not unlike the one posted above, and today my self-gift of an 'Architecture Sucks' t-shirt arrived, so it's all working. It seems like the older I get the longer the birthday lasts....

No 'nect fights to report, but I did get all pissy in the bikes thread yesterday- I hate seeing ignorance used in the hands of the judgemental.

Apr 11, 06 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
e

lb, i'm happy to be 39, and i'm with you on calling myself 40. my younger friends [some are 25] say i carry my age well and would have never thought i was almost 40. goes to show you a number mean nothing. cept when you get out of bed in the morning. my bones ache a little more these days.

Apr 11, 06 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

happy birthday, lb! you should post a birthday picture of something going on in your life today!

aml: an arch prof that I highly respect told me about that book years ago in school, and I'd forgotten all about it!!! THANKS!!!

I think I have my reading list. I agree, Acfa, manifestos would be very helpful and enjoyable. I think I will make them step 2 on my remedial reading program, right after "basic understanding of theory history" level. Speaking of which, I did begin Vers Une Architecture once, actually a couple times, and kept giving up out of frustration with Corbu's writing style! Perhaps I will have more patience now that I'm no longer pulling long studio nights.

And, lb, we called him Corbu at CMU, too. Because of that initial introduction, "Corb" will always sound truncated to me.

Apr 11, 06 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

aml- i think i'll have to pick that one up. i haven't seen it before.

love loos' Ornament and Crime

and i've yet to wish LB a very very happy 39th!

Apr 11, 06 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

happy birthday lb!

Apr 11, 06 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I'd just like to say that I have an amazing boss (two great bosses, even!) and I love my job. I have learned so much here, and had so much fun doing it, that sometimes when it hits me I'm astounded. Yay!!!

Apr 11, 06 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

the developer thread is actually turning out to be a pertinent and interesting discussion to our professional field. good stuff.

interesting note: seems there is a big divide between the ones that are here strictly for academic interests and others that are professionals looking for a forum. i'm wondering how many of these students will fade away over the next 2 months or so. (though i should be one to speak, with me forsaking the realm of the professional for the academic this fall)

Apr 11, 06 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

totally cannot concentrate on work today. feel like I have that disease that is all initials, ADHD or something? that's what too much CAD will do to ya!

Apr 11, 06 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i'm with ya strawbeary... all i see is "thread central", "developer culture", and my sheer walls and column grid...

*rubs eyes*

Apr 11, 06 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

my friend liberty bell has again shown what a giving and thoughtful archinecter she is. she is everyone's cheerleader. and for her birthday i am not posting any cheerleaders...hiphip hooray!!!

Apr 11, 06 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
e

i hear you vado. lb is the best of the best.

Apr 11, 06 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

totally totally agree with you e!!!

Apr 11, 06 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

happy b-day lb!

For she's a jolly good fellow!
For she's a jolly good fellow!
For she's a jolly good feLLOW!
Which nobody can deny!

Apr 11, 06 7:13 pm  · 
 · 

Happy Birthday Liberty! Thanks for the kind thoughts. I have an appointment friday to discuss my application with the campus rep at my alma mater, who are kindly sponsering my app.

I had the autocad dream again last night. This time it was details. I can barely keep my eyes open today...

Apr 11, 06 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

here is my toast to liberty bell:
who keeps things from going pell mell
her posts here are best
and getting wiser yet
but don't tell her clientele

Apr 11, 06 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
dia

I cant fathom archinect without you liberty bell,
happy 39th.
enjoy lunch, and kick vado under the table for me.
d.

Apr 11, 06 7:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: