Too many school threads must be scaring everyone away. :(

Mar 23, 17 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

I was checking the forum constantly when I was applying

Mar 23, 17 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I'm afraid I cannot relate... I walked by the arch studios at the school I was already in and thought hey this looks like fun and applied.

Mar 23, 17 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Mine was "Where can I get away with the most outrageous work?"

Mar 27, 17 3:22 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

Interesting piece:

https://archpaper.com/2017/01/pablo-escobar-son-architect/

Mar 23, 17 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

I can't figure out how to post a Tweet here on Archinect. It comes in as gibberish every time.

Mar 25, 17 10:44 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
nabrU

test not working, but there's a classic piss take of trump's lose fail over trying to screw over the one thing republicans did not fuck up for your last honest good president, is that a precident? (Hope)

Mar 25, 17 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

I say that as a British, we have a fake prime minister also.

Mar 25, 17 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
-------

I remember Judith Chafee coming up in a past thread and thought this brief documentary about her was interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbElliuXW0A

Apparently a book is in the works.

Mar 26, 17 1:31 am  · 
 · 

Woohoo, thanks jw468! Judith was amazing. What great news.

Mar 26, 17 10:16 am  · 
 · 

Man that Judith did some great work... Hi TC!

Mar 27, 17 6:21 pm  · 
 · 

@Chris, good to hear. Although some of those alter-egos will be missed...

Mar 27, 17 7:47 pm  · 
 · 

Hi Chris! Glad to see you!

Mar 27, 17 9:03 pm  · 
 · 

Chris, how are things in Motherboard?

Mar 27, 17 9:15 pm  · 
 · 

@Chris, I remember the email but not the specific content/links. Think it was sent from my old work email in Fl. Will try to find...

As for nihilism, I am no expert but I always preferred a more Advaita Vedantic or Zen Buddhist, "neti neti" take on negation.

Night all

Mar 27, 17 11:35 pm  · 
 · 

@Chris, can you send me an email from the address I would have sent the email to? So I can search all my accounts for emails to that address?

Morning TC.

Mar 28, 17 11:48 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I started meditating in college and have greatly increased my ability and frequency to do so in the last 3-4 years. My blood pressure is usually downright low after it used to be a little high for a long time. It takes practice, but that stuff Nam is talking about is golden.

No more energy drinks, Chris? You mentioned you were quitting... good for you.

Mar 28, 17 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Namaste

Mar 28, 17 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I'm on spring break in La La land. Cough cough. (Smog)

Mar 28, 17 12:58 pm  · 
 · 

Stepped on the scale this morning and I've lost 30 lbs since the beginning of the year. That's a plus. It's been a good week so far. Had an uplifting dinner with my mentor yesterday and Tuesday participated in Prairie Grassroots and met with my state senator (and had a photo op with the governor, but didn't vote for him). How are things out in TC land?

Mar 30, 17 10:58 am  · 
 · 

Things good in CO. Been getting a fair bit of rain lately, but I have a day off tomorrow and hoping to get my last ski day of year in... We shall see, definitely won't be powder!

Otherwise, now that I have fully settled into the new neighborhood starting to get plugged in with the official neighborhood organization and some other groups/initiatives related to sustainability/urbanism et al... Feeling generally excited about this year.

In terms of health/weight, just earned enough points to reach gold status in our company wellness plan. Which should equal a nice rebate/discount for my health insurance. As part of that had a wellness check and compared to last year all my numbers are trending in right direction and my wellness age is closer to my actual age. Just need to get more regularly physically active. Running once a week and a biking/walking isn't strenuous enough.

Mar 30, 17 11:06 am  · 
 · 

Found out this morning that I passed my last division of the ARE. Just need to send in my application and get registered with the state so I can do exactly the same work for no extra pay*. But at least I'll be able to mouth off to these young upstarts wanting to call themselves an architect to just go take the tests and get their license already. 

*That's a little bit of a lie. My firm does pay out a small bonus upon licensure, and I intend to negotiate my way into a bigger salary as well. But I'll still be doing the same work. The point is that they've been underpaying me for the work I do, not that by virtue of a license I deserve more.

Mar 30, 17 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Congrats. Guinness Tonight!

Mar 30, 17 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Congrats! Gonna change your name to Everyday Architect??

I'm taking #4 on Monday. These can't be over fast enough...

Mar 30, 17 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

Congrats! Don't negotiate on a hangover.

Mar 30, 17 12:46 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks all. Good luck tduds.

Mar 30, 17 2:14 pm  · 
 · 

Congrats!

Mar 30, 17 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Thanks for posting that the results are in. I just checked and I passed as well! Going to be doing the same thing I've been doing for years tho and have no one in real life to tell because nobody actually cares. My family and friends thought I was an architect when I was 19 years old oh so long ago when I got my first job. :) 

Good luck tduds!

Mar 30, 17 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Congrats to you as well. Probably less guinness for you thou.

Mar 30, 17 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Thanks. Yeah, I'll forgo the Guinness and celebrate with a pregnant lady friendly lunch.

Mar 30, 17 1:16 pm  · 
 · 

Congrats tintt! Your baby is due sometime soon, right?

Mar 30, 17 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Yes, I'm in the final stretch. 10 more weeks.

Mar 30, 17 2:26 pm  · 
 · 

Hang in there ... those last weeks we were going crazy waiting but it will end at some point. We ended up needing to induce labor, but then it happened really fast.

Mar 30, 17 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

10 weeks? Not sure if you remember... but mine came 6 weeks early. Time is going to start speeding by. 8-)

Mar 30, 17 2:42 pm  · 
 · 

Congrats!

Mar 30, 17 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I got a booze filled chocolate truffle hand delivered by a friend so I got to celebrate anyways.
My first baby was delivered on the due date so I hope I can repeat that!

Mar 30, 17 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

Congrats tintt and Everyday!

Mar 30, 17 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Thanks!

Mar 30, 17 2:26 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks Nam

Mar 30, 17 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

woo i just found out i passed all my AREs too. now i can be annoying and condescending...

honestly i am learning far more from renovating my home at the moment than i have with ARE 4.0. i think it's about time we consider a more rigorous apprenticeship approach, IDP/AXP is a joke.

Mar 30, 17 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Congrats! And agree that I also learned far more working on my own house.

Mar 30, 17 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

And yes, IDP/AXP is a weak excuse for having a method of training emerging professionals.

Mar 30, 17 6:20 pm  · 
 · 

That's no fair, I learned all that stuff by working on other people's houses before I finished school and even thought about IDP/AXP and the ARE ... let alone owned my own home.

Congrats to you too ivorykeyboard.

Mar 30, 17 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
Note to all you young fancy graphics lovers who have hot skilz with Rhino or whatever:

The more coats of paint something requires, the more expensive it will be, both material and labor.

No amount of Grasshopper can change those physics.
Mar 30, 17 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

ill write you a script (in grasshopper) that will reduce the amount of paint used with surface topology optimization though.

hot skilz

Mar 30, 17 3:53 pm  · 
 · 

I appreciate the effort, ivory! But that won't change the number of coats the coatings manufacturer requires to give a warranty and to guarantee that the project color will match the sample already approved. I mean: I know all kinds of great things are possible with parametrics. But we still operate in a physical world, and until the building-bots can *entirely* fabricate the thing we design (a day I'm excited about), we have to deal with humans and standards and the physics those standards are based on.

Mar 31, 17 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
...and now that I got that rant out I can go back and read/respond to all the good news above.
Mar 30, 17 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Josh: yay for weight loss and for being involved at Grassroots! It's so important that we are faced in front of our legislators.
Mar 30, 17 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
Nam: yay for feeling connected to your community! And for being healthy too!
Mar 30, 17 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
Everyday Intern-no-more: WOOHOOOO!!!!

tintt:WOOHOOOO!!!!!

ivorykeyboard:WOOHOOOO!!!!!

God honestly getting that license is THE BEST feeling. Congratulations on completing the slog. It's really, really important and meaningful, even if our family and friends don't recall "get it".

My friend Lora was on the Young Architect podcast recently (google it) and spoke about our Indiana licensing ceremony we have every year. We have it in The War Memorial (a very fancy public space but free for us to rent), have snacks and a musician for the reception, have a brief keynote speech like at graduation, and have a member of the licensing board officiate. The newly-registered architects have to stand and take the oath (Indiana had one) and it is truly moving. Lora talks about how that ceremony makes the family members understand better just how big of a deal licensure is!

So congratulations you guys!!!! Find your state oath and recite it at your next happy hour!!
Mar 30, 17 4:05 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, we don't get that in Illinois. Maybe I'll get my Indiana license too (need it if I want to get something of my design built in Columbus).

Mar 30, 17 4:31 pm  · 
 · 

I'm sorry, Josh. I should have mentioned the ceremony is only for first-time licensees, not reciprocals. But you should get an Indiana license anyway! Columbus is busy! I assume you'e coming for the Exhibit Columbus installations at some point this year? We should meet up.

Mar 31, 17 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Donna that sounds fun. 

I think there's something to be said for celebration & little rituals when it comes to things like this. I buy myself a nice bottle of scotch after each exam. A friend of mine had a "Stamping Party" when she got her license (We all got our hands stamped, among other things). I might follow suit, maybe it'll become a tradition!

Mar 30, 17 4:18 pm  · 
 · 

I bought and played with Legos/drank gin after every exam. I should do that more often.

Mar 30, 17 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I also did that following my exams.

Mar 31, 17 8:21 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Congrats to all the new architects!
Mar 30, 17 4:37 pm  · 
 · 

Congrats to the new architects!

I wish Ohio had a ceremony like that, although I'm not sure I would've driven up to Columbus for the occasion. (I was already well into plotting my escape to Seattle at that point, and wanted nothing to do with the State of Ohio. I still don't.)

When I logged into the online portal and learned that, after 20 years of education and CAD monkey work, I finally finally a registered architect, I excitedly told the project manager who happened to be sitting closest to me at the office. Without looking up, he simply said, "Well, it's not too late to become a product rep" and went back to reviewing submittals.

Mar 30, 17 5:20 pm  · 
 · 

I got champagne, cupcakes, and a mylar graduation balloon with architect pasted over graduate. Not a bad office celebration. (sounds like that PM hates his job)

Mar 30, 17 6:05 pm  · 
 · 

I think pretty much everybody in that office hated their job. By contrast: At my current firm here in Seattle, during our holiday party they recognized all the architects who had gotten registered over the previous year, and since I had gotten reciprocal registration in WA during that time, I was included. Always feels good to get a shout-out.

Mar 30, 17 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Funny!

Mar 30, 17 6:22 pm  · 
 · 

That product rep comment made my day, thanks David (and the PM who hates his job).

Mar 30, 17 7:12 pm  · 
 · 

That kind of architect - self-hating - is my least favorite kind of architect.

Mar 31, 17 8:24 pm  · 
 · 

My biggest motivation for leaving that gig and getting into a design-oriented firm on the west coast was to avoid becoming one of those types.

Apr 1, 17 1:42 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

^ If I worked full time I would already make that much and have for years. I was actually looking into getting a real estate agent license now just for fun. It only takes a few weeks and one test. I prefer lifestyle and freedom over money. Now if I can make that much working part time with kids in tow, that'll be something to celebrate.

Apr 1, 17 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Hey Tintt congrats! I also toyed with getting my real estate license, but it is far from a part time job. The best realtors hustle like no bodies business. You're networking. You're holding open houses on weekends. You're showing houses nights and weekends. You're constantly bird dogging for buyers and sellers. The major benefit is when you do your own develop ments you can gain better market insight, opportunities come to you and you have that additional profit center.

Apr 1, 17 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Thanks! I wouldn't get the real estate license to be an open house having realtor, I would do it just for the experience and knowledge to work better with developers and maybe to buy and sell my own house. It would be another very part time thing. I'm no hustler, I could never actually be a realtor. Eventually perhaps a developer though.

Apr 1, 17 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
Can you give an example Chris?
Apr 3, 17 7:45 am  · 
 · 
Who is "you"?
Apr 3, 17 8:53 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

What I am finding, as of late, is that a certain group of "architects" can't walk and chew gum at the same time. 

You probably should've done more all-nighters.

Apr 4, 17 9:02 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

chewing gum is hard work. They should have given me a chewing license after grade 3.

Apr 4, 17 9:43 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I can walk and chew gum no problem but I can't tie my shoes. Not kidding.

Apr 4, 17 11:23 am  · 
 · 

I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Apr 4, 17 11:21 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Any self respecting Jersey boy knows that he gets his drugs from Christian Brothers Academy.
Apr 4, 17 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

The code word was; Saint Dorothea is for weekenders.

Apr 5, 17 9:14 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

a fellow architect (old guy, faia) sent out a mass email to an aia committee that I'm on looking for an architect to mediate a dispute over leasable area calculations per boma.  

it sounds like easy $$$ to me, anything i need to watch out for?

Apr 5, 17 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Do you have a copy of the BOMA standard? Depending on how the building is leased out/layed out, it gets more complicated.

Apr 5, 17 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

i do, boma can be very complicated. question boils down to - is an existing mezzanine part of gla? tenant says no, owner says yes.

Apr 5, 17 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

If it was "easy" they wouldn't need you.

Apr 7, 17 6:58 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

contract states that in the case of a dispute, a third architect will mediate... they don't need "me" but they do need someone with a stamp who is familiar with boma and willing to do the work.  I'm familiar with boma and am willing to use vacation time for the money involved

Apr 7, 17 8:34 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

AIA+Trump = Russia?

Apr 6, 17 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

A step in the right direction toward mending relations maybe?

Apr 6, 17 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

With Trump, or Russia?

Apr 6, 17 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Trump w/ Russia.

Apr 7, 17 2:33 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Um, yeah, no. If they were any closer, Trump would be pregnant.

Apr 7, 17 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Awww how cute...someone's jealous!

Apr 12, 17 8:06 am  · 
 · 

Feeling deeply depressed over the supreme court thing. Like everything is broken and the assholes always, always win.

Apr 6, 17 9:01 pm  · 
 · 

And now we're bombing Syria. Jeezus Christ.

Apr 6, 17 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

i assume no interest in a war, but what is your preferred action?

Apr 7, 17 8:21 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Article 1, Section 8

To declare war, grant letters of marque and reprisal, and make rules concerning captures on land and water;

Congress.

Europe.

Not this fucking President, or any other.

Apr 7, 17 10:42 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Seriously. What is your preferred action. Gas was used in 2010 by the same fucker and Obama let the Russians handle it. Ate lunch at Damascus restaurant today in Denver and the Owner had 11 of his family members die in the gas attacks.

Apr 7, 17 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

No. What's YOUR plan? I defer to the document that Republicans batter the fuck out of Libs with, The Constitution.

Apr 7, 17 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Seriously, 500k people before Tuesday died, and all I've been reading about, now we should bomb. How about you volunteer, I'm done supplying the VA with new, broken service members.

Apr 7, 17 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew.Circle

Send McCain's daughter. If Americans and Syrians have to die for this bs, might as well start with her.

Apr 7, 17 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
Current mood: Driving to work yelling "Fuck you!" at the radio every time I hear rump's voice.
Apr 7, 17 7:51 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

i've started listing to canadian public radio in the morning, far more relaxing!

Apr 7, 17 8:22 am  · 
 · 

Right there with you Donna, although this particular instance I'd be yelling that at Hillary too since she also called for military action.

Apr 7, 17 10:44 am  · 
 · 
Andrew.Circle

it would be nice if an investigation was undertaken, maybe even completed, before the president unilaterally orders missiles fired at another country.

Apr 7, 17 3:28 pm  · 
 · 

I'm not debating that something shouldn't be done to Assad - far from it. He needs to be brought before the Hague. I just don't want to see another war that just furthers the suffering and humanitarian crisis already present. Don't we have seals that could have just taken him out and installed a US picked government like we used to do (joking...kind of)?

Apr 7, 17 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I made a chart:

A Visual History of Filibustered Nominees

Sure puts things in perspective.

Apr 7, 17 11:04 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Oh tduds, stop with your completely accurate fact collating. It's painful for those cheetoflakes, and kuck fetishists to read.

Apr 7, 17 11:53 am  · 
 · 
sevensixfive

Hi all you fancy graphics lovers!

Apr 7, 17 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Listen kommradski, no kompromat here.

Apr 7, 17 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

Apr 7, 17 8:18 pm  · 
 · 

They need to stop releasing images of Zumthor's LACMA, if possible. While I expect that the final result may be sublime, it's hard to get excited about these views they provide.

Apr 8, 17 7:38 am  · 
 · 

You guys, I just can't with Schumacher any more. I don't really care what he has to say, I feel like I've heard enough of him to last a lifetime already. But....

He just announced on FB that he did a series of podcasts with a libertarian-architecture focused group. Again, my first thought is UGH I just caaaaaaann't.....but I've been listening lately to The Liberty Fund's podcast, which is hosted by a libertarian dude.  While he and I disagree on a LOT we also agree on a lot. I think of him as a smarter form of libertarianism, not the immersed-in-Randian superheroman (it's always a man) that most libertarians are.

So, do I listen to the libertari-anarcho-architecture podcast, or do I NOT waste my time and instead listen to another episode of The Lemonade, where I ALWAYS learn something new?

Apr 8, 17 3:32 pm  · 
 · 

Update: Decided to try it. I'm 8 minutes in - Patrick hasn't even started talking yet - and I've already guffawed out loud twice. I suspect it might be an elaborate parody. I'm not linking to it here because I honestly fear that the host - who is apparently an RA - might follow the link and invade TC and I really don't want that to happen. I'll update if I manage to get through more of it.

Apr 8, 17 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
bikebicycle

Libertarianism is something that is mostly for immature white men with no real life experience and complete ignorance of their own privilege.  Schumacher apparently thinks that turning everything into Honduras and Somalia would be good for the profession.

Apr 9, 17 11:57 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

The doctor gave me morphine during labor. Therefore, opiates aren't' bad for you. Soda is worse. 

Apr 9, 17 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Soda + opiates are twice as fun.

Apr 9, 17 7:07 pm  · 
 · 

Hi TC! I am having a real low-key, lazy Sunday.

@Donna you have a link for that podcast?

Also, came across this quote (via Carrie Brownstein) recently and thought of you.

"Close-toed shoes are very important. I am not a fan of flip-flops on planes."

@Steven not sure if it's because it is LACMA (and thus just getting more publicity) but I can't think of another of his projects that have been so underwhelming in terms of the images/plans released early on, previously.

Apr 9, 17 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

It's been so windy today. Tried to ride bikes at the park and got too tired.

Apr 9, 17 7:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: