Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

mightyaa

Easiest project beginner car is a vw bug.  Tons of aftermarket, not many tools required, cheap parts and rather 'forgiving' if you mess it up.

Apr 19, 16 3:45 pm  · 
 · 

JeromeS, that's the Wagoneer, not the Cherokee.

That said, even though my current living/working situation doesn't require car ownership, I'm seriously tempted to buy a classic Jeep Cherokee like the one below just for romping around up in the mountains.

So far I've owned a classic Cherokee and two first-generation Grand Cherokees, and they've all been great rides. I'd probably still have my most recent Grand Cherokee (1998 5.9 Limited; fewer than 15,000 were ever built) if I hadn't gone to NYC after grad school.

Apr 19, 16 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I've rocked this bad boy all throughout undergrad:

jealous?

I bet you all are.

not the real one in the pic... mine had white wall tires

Apr 19, 16 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

If I ever have the money to have a project car, I would get a Saab 900, what a beauty

Apr 19, 16 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I almost got an old Volvo as a project car last summer, but I wussed out and got a V70R instead. 

It's still kind of a project, but now I pay someone else to do all the work for me because that shit is complex.

Apr 19, 16 6:37 pm  · 
 · 

A friend of mine had an old Volvo station wagon as his project car back in high school... And 20+ years later, it's still his project car.

Apr 19, 16 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

after 20 years, is it running yet, or.....

:)

Apr 19, 16 6:59 pm  · 
 · 

I think it's been running most of that time, but various things have been broken at various times.

Apr 19, 16 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

after 20 years, is it running yet, or....

And that is the story of my Land Rover project; 23 years and (not) going. Something about wives, 5 digit estimates, and this notion of "priorities!" tends to kill many dreams......

Apr 19, 16 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

wait, can you hear it...?

Apr 19, 16 10:10 pm  · 
 · 

Jeanne Gang came to Muncie to give a talk tonight. OMG. I was blown away. So, so good. After she finished describing the Solar Carve Tower project and then said it had just cleared zoning and was getting built I legit started applauding. Was very disappointed that no one else joined in with me.

Apr 19, 16 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

JeromeS, that's the Wagoneer, not the Cherokee.

Uhhh, no it's not...

Before that cute little toy you are calling a "classic Cherokee" existed, the beast I linked roamed the earth.  Yes- strikingly similar to the Wagoneer, yet still a Cherokee and manufactured from 1973-1984.  The Wagoneer was 4-door'd.  The Cherokee was two-door'd (but not always, AMC did there own thing).

Apr 19, 16 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

I can second that, my dad bought a 1977 4-door Cherokee in the early 90's as his mountain climber.  Couldn't be beat in the snow, strangely had a problem with crossing railroad tracks...

Apr 19, 16 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Donna, told you a few weeks ago that you'd love Jeanne's talk.

Apr 19, 16 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Decided to get either a MX5 or MR2, now just to find one that I like. Let's hope the other half doesn't murder me.

Apr 20, 16 3:06 am  · 
 · 

Non Seq, I remember that now. Yeah, she's great. And she spent a LOT of time talking with eager star-struck students afterwards at the reception. Very, very gracious and warm!

Apr 20, 16 8:34 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^good stuff.

The Q&A session post lectures are pretty dull when I attended but the way Jeanne extended her presentation to the audience was very refreshing.

Apr 20, 16 8:55 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Lot of Jeanne Gang haters here in Chicago. I think her work is great. 

Apr 20, 16 9:07 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

archanonymous, why do they hate her?

Apr 20, 16 9:13 am  · 
 · 
It's weird that there are so many Gang haters here. I'm sure it boils down to one thing - they aren't doing the kind of work that she gets for her office.
Apr 20, 16 9:26 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Yep.

Most architects here are happy to settle for shitty design because the developers allow them to suck em off behind the job trailer all through CA. Blowies for buildings.

Apr 20, 16 9:53 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I've been contacted about a BIM management role, they've asked me to submit a portfolio. What the hell am I meant to submit for a role like this? Doesn't make any sense.

Apr 20, 16 10:57 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

most studio gang haters talk about radiator fins (which was a detailing fuckup) but don't have much ammunition beyond that.  

Apr 20, 16 11:09 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

a BIM model with all the parameters for a Nissan 300zx

Apr 20, 16 11:09 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

archiwut, this is just a guess, but i would say you could get some pictures of projects you worked on that were built, or renderings of projects that you don't have pictures of/ not built yet, then include a short paragraph that explains your role as it relates to bim management for that project.  also maybe the size of the project (sf or $$ or something like that), date or year of the project, and building use (ie office/hospital/big concrete box)

Apr 20, 16 11:13 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Isnt the BIM manager responsible for the maintenance and update of all the BIM families and types that the firm uses?

Apr 20, 16 11:26 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

23 years and not running- sounds like my career.

Apr 20, 16 2:17 pm  · 
 · 

I took my computer to work today because I had to finish up a little drawing for a meeting and I had to podcast from the office.  And.....I accidentally left my mouse there.  So that means NO WORKING ON FREELANCE JOBS TONIGHT yay a night off enforced by my own absentmindedness I am thrilled!!!! But maybe a few hand sketches of a garage addition, that's IT!

I'm 3/4 of the way through my first beer.

Apr 20, 16 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I took a walk at 4:20, didn't even realize it, should have, but that is when everyone smokes weed you know especially on 4/20... in the park, in their cars, in basements with open windows. I think I got a contact high. 

I just opened a beer too. 

Apr 20, 16 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

PLEASE don't let it be Prince!  

Apr 21, 16 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

apparently it is

Apr 21, 16 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Prince is Dead, Balkins, any thoughts?
Apr 21, 16 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Pretty bummed that Chyna from the WWF golden age of the late 90's/early aughts, passed away as well...

Apr 21, 16 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

purple tears.

Apr 21, 16 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

you do know the stars are changing

Apr 21, 16 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

The stories I've been hearing about Prince, man, the music wasn't even the best part of the man; he was Amazing.

Apr 22, 16 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Time for an Archinect Competition: Prince Memorial

Apr 22, 16 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

word mofo

word

Apr 23, 16 12:20 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

baby #2, beautiful baby girl was born yesterday, look out world!

Apr 23, 16 10:01 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

congrats shuellmi!!

Apr 23, 16 10:48 am  · 
 · 
situationist

congrats!

Apr 23, 16 10:57 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

you da man! congratulations

Apr 23, 16 10:57 am  · 
 · 

Congrats, shuellmi! Babies are amazing.

Apr 23, 16 12:02 pm  · 
 · 

congrats there shuellmi. Prepare for more all-nighters ( joking but hopefully this baby is more pleasant at night ).

Apr 23, 16 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
I'm going to disagree with Balkins. Because, fuck, his post is short, I actually read the entire thing, and goddamnit, I have my principles.
Apr 23, 16 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
I've worked 70 hours in the last 6 days, and I'm getting ready to go back in on what is supposed to be a gorgeous day.
Apr 24, 16 10:31 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

brah, take it easy

Apr 24, 16 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
I've got 2 restaurants, with three pending. Oh, did I mention that I have a full time job too? I'm not sure if I can do it by myself.
Apr 24, 16 5:09 pm  · 
 · 

Do you need any help b3tadine? Considering the work load and fulltime job. I can use a little more work. 

Apr 24, 16 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

do you know how to draft ricki?

Apr 24, 16 8:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: