Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Good luck mightyaa!

Mar 26, 15 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Donna, Holy Smokes! Just read that the Indiana governor just signed a law giving businesses the right to refuse service to gays & lesbians.... what's that about? 

Mar 26, 15 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

normally i like it when gov't gets on some foolish morality kick - keeps them from from causing trouble - but jeez, what good could possibly come from this?

Mar 26, 15 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
-------

It's hard to believe that kind of discrimination is still possible in this country.

Mar 26, 15 11:43 pm  · 
 · 

Indiana state government sucks balls right now. Which is ironic because it's a bunch of straight white men who you'd think would be much more careful about passing legislation that makes one say of them "You suck balls." And of course several of them have been caught soliciting gay sex on Craigslist, those assholes.

It's so disheartening. In Naptown I'm surrounded by super lefty liberals, my entire community of friends and the vast majority of my coworkers and professional network. Even those who are religious and/or conservative tend to be open to the fact that societal norms are changing and that "live and let live" is the best recipe for "freedom".  Even our Republican mayor came out against this bill, as he knows how much it will cost us in lost business visits/conventions etc. Some conservatives are smart enough to see the bigger picture (and plenty of liberals are dumb; I admit that both sides of the spectrum have our winners and losers).

The problem here is we have so many rural idiots. I've been harsh about this before, and I will do it again: rural people who are afraid of "the big city" and overly reliant on extreme religious zealotry because they have no other area of aspiration in their lives are ignorant and dangerous.  They inhibit progress because they want to go back to the good old days of blacks and women not having any power.  They have never traveled because they are afraid to and therefore have no ability to have empathy for anyone living a life differently than what they think is right. They're unsophisticated in the worst possible way. I don't care if someone hates New York City, but if they hate it because they've never visited it and are afraid to then they're not actually basing their dislike on anything real.

It's so frustrating. I have to believe, and have great hope, that the pendulum will swing the other way, eventually.

Mar 27, 15 10:28 am  · 
 · 

In the meantime, the businesses who care are posting this sticker on their doors, showing that they will not discriminate against anyone.

And my friend who runs an architecture firm in town posted on FB the text from the AIA code of ethics that explicitly says we are not allowed to deny service to anyone based on their sexual identification. So if I hear of an AIA member denying service I'll lobby for them to be kicked out.

Mar 27, 15 10:32 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

And I thought this kind of stuff caught on in Idaho...  It's really a race to the bottom with state governments these days, if it's not irresponsible fiscal policy it's stuff like this.  Who is setting these people up to get into positions of power when they can't possibly represent the will of today's America?  Thinking about it I can only blame the apathy and laziness of younger voting age people to get out and elect better representatives.  But what's unfolded in Indiana is just unacceptable...

Mar 27, 15 11:05 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Taken from The Guardian

...Cruz, the red-meat Texas senator with an army of conservative followers, raised eyebrows on Tuesday when he told the Texas Tribune that people who believe global warming is real are “the equivalent of the flat-Earthers”.

“It used to be it is accepted scientific wisdom the Earth is flat, and this heretic named Galileo was branded a denier,” Cruz said.

WTF... 

Mar 27, 15 11:13 am  · 
 · 

Who is setting these people up to get into positions of power when they can't possibly represent the will of today's America?  Thinking about it I can only blame the apathy and laziness of younger voting age people to get out and elect better representatives.

We have the very best government money can buy.

Mar 27, 15 12:35 pm  · 
 · 

Miles, I know I've been beating up on you lately for being so negative, but if you need to unleash some scorn I won't be bothered at all if you go right ahead and help this person read their Victorian floor plans. It's Friday afternoon, after all.

Mar 27, 15 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

^^Word Miles, that goes without saying...  I'm pretty sick of it.

Mar 27, 15 5:34 pm  · 
 · 

Donna, the power of accurate observation is called cynicism by those who don't have it. As to the Victorian thread, some things are just too stupid to acknowledge.

Mr_Wiggin, time for the revolution of one.

Mar 27, 15 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i think they just changed the whole website

i'm going to drink a beer instead of one-man-revolting.

Mar 27, 15 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
That thread totally is stupid, Miles. Breathtakingly so. I posted a potentially helpful link to s book because I feel badly for that level of cluelessness. The other side of that coin is that when it comes to gaming and game design I might as well be a cat trying to learn brain surgery.
Mar 27, 15 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

"there's more than coooorn... in Indiana!"

Mar 28, 15 7:48 am  · 
 · 
-------

Apparently the Georgia legislature is also considering a similar law. What is going on in this country?

Mar 28, 15 10:27 am  · 
 · 
rationalist

People are scared is what's going on. They feel that something has shifted in the world and that they are no longer on top, and are lashing out at anyone they can get a little bit of power over. It's fucking pathetic.

Mar 28, 15 2:44 pm  · 
 · 

People are afraid because they watch all that bullshit on TV. Fear sells (more ad revenue!) and is a powerful behavioral motivator (terrorists!). In other words turn off the @%#^ TV and Hate Radio. 

Mar 28, 15 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Think I'm going to call it quits at the computer go take a shower.....and watch some Basketball!  Go   Uof A Wildcats!  I can only imagine  Donna is tossing down some suds in an Arizona bar about right now.

Mar 28, 15 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

What to do when your boss, the principal you work under, gets fired?

Currently studying for PPP - only 3 more tests to go, 2 more after I pass this one tomorrow. 

Things may seem like they are going downhill in this country, but I truly believe history bends towards social justice over the long-term. Sure, we may end up living in a post-apocalyptic wasteland of religious intolerance, but in 500 years, now will look like, well, 500 years ago.

Mar 29, 15 10:49 am  · 
 · 
rationalist

Miles, that reminds me of a Daily Show episode I was watching the other day, where they were showing how Fox News sees themselves as some sort of independent media, an underdog bucking the trend of "mainstream news." Catch is, Fox News is far and away the most watched news channel, so they ARE the mainstream, and lying through their teeth about it.

archanonymous, I went through something similar a while back, but really, what can you do? Show up to work, see how things are without him, see where you fit in. It might go better than you think. If not, time to dust off the old resume, but it sounds like maybe you should stick it out through the end of your exams since you're likely to garner a higher wage if you move after you've got that stamp in hand. 

Mar 29, 15 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Guess what! We have a contract on a house. An even though I'm wading into "help me for free" territory, I'm hoping one of you could help me look over the inspection report. I'm supposed to give a request for repairs, but I'm not sure what to ask for. Seems requesting the dishwasher be screwed into the counter is a bit basic, but asking the roof to be repaired is too much. My gut says ask to have the voltage drain fixed, since that might be a fire hazard, but maybe that's too far/expensive. Anybody feel like helping me out? I'll buy you a virtual beer. Or even a real one if you ever pass this way.

And YAY FOR NAM!!!!
Mar 30, 15 7:01 pm  · 
 · 

On the electrical: tell them it's a safety hazard and you can't move into an unsafe house. If they back off and decide not to sell to you they will have to disclose it to a future buyer, so it behooves them to either fix it or come down on the price to a place where you can afford to fix it.

Mar 30, 15 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

what's a voltage drain?

Mar 30, 15 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

also, i think that 'help me for free' snark doesn't apply so much to people who have been here since '07

Mar 30, 15 8:50 pm  · 
 · 

curt, a voltage drain goes under the electrical panel, it works just like a sink drain.

Sarah, post it in a new thread. Guaranteed to be a hot topic.

Mar 30, 15 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Miles, I'd rather just email individuals.  I wouldn't want my address just out there in the open for all.  Besides, it would probably turn into a flame-war.  I can see the first comment "Looks like the perfect job for an architect.  Here's a link to the national AIA database."

Soooo..... Can I email one of you?  And what would you call what I presume to be a dim in the lights when you turn on the blender, if not a voltage drain?

Mar 30, 15 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

it has a normal circuit breaker, and not a fuse box with screw-in fuses right?

my guess is the dim lights means they're on the same circuit as the blender outlet, and you are pulling too many amps on that circuit.  a microwave or waffle iron would probably blow the fuse. 

i learned electrical work the hard way.  for a short time, i was able to dim the light in my garage by changing the speed of the leaf blower.  i should not be proud of that....

Mar 30, 15 9:37 pm  · 
 · 

You can send it to me, but I'd recommend getting a second opinion. Dr. curtkram is a highly regarded general practioner. Lots of pictures would be very helpful, including things like the electrical panel.

Mar 30, 15 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Sarah, think a "voltage drain" (term used in automotive) is like when I had an office building with exceedingly high bills, shut everything off and the meter was still whirling.... discovered the main underground feed was sliced and power was leaking into the soil.... the problem with the blender is you have too much power deducted to its circuit... common in old homes with fuses... you may have enough power coming into the house but may need a new panel with more circuits to spread the power around.

Said this before on your house thread, just stick to issues of habitability and danger... like Donna said once you expose these things to the seller they will have no choice but to fix them... if not for you they'll have to put them on the disclosure statement and buyers will run. The circuit issue is a fire hazard and code issue that falls under this category.

Glad to look at it for you if you want, just send it to Richard and ask him to send it on to me.

Mar 30, 15 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Miles and Curt, I emailed you.  Carerra, I can't email you to send it since your email isn't listed.  Want to email me?

Mar 30, 15 10:17 pm  · 
 · 

Not sure if this link will work, but apparently this was the front page of the IndianaPOLIS Star today - the city is great, it's those rural idiots who screw it up for the entire state.

Mar 30, 15 11:05 pm  · 
 · 

Funny how some people think freedom means passing laws to mandate their particular belief system.

Mar 30, 15 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I'm really impressed and surprised by the backlash.  There are even states boycotting Indianna, now.

Mar 31, 15 1:15 pm  · 
 · 

It is VERY impressive and in between bouts of heartbreak it makes me hopeful. To see even Republicans, like our Mayor, come out against this legislation, reminds me there are smart and kind people everywhere.

Mar 31, 15 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Donna,  Our Governor jumped on the Band Wagon.. and doesn't want State Employees traveling to Indiana .but he still taking extreme amounts of money away from the "intellectually challenged,"  in this coming two year budget.  It  really burns my ass that someone would play his card like he has when in fact he  is a sheep in wolves clothing.  Oh ya he is a Democrat and so am I so this is not a Republican babble.

Mar 31, 15 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Sarah,

We have a 200 amp panel in our basement which looks good, but the wiring in the house was not brought up to snuff.  So we have to be careful about overloading  our outlet circuits, cause to many of them are on a breaker.  When houses were built a while ago  there were not all of those kitchen appliances so it wasn't a problem.  However a Microwave and a counter top oven can be a major pain if they are tied back to the same outlet as your computer in the other room.   A good electrical contractor should be able to give you a good idea as to if you have a problem. 

I have actually  run some new electrical lines to be sure we don't have problems with overload of breakers, but I  would  suggest you have an electrical contractor do this work just to be sure your not creating your own problems, unless Mr Hamilton is an electrical contractor or and electrical engineer, or the son of either one of the fore mentioned.  Otherwise you must tell him electricity Kills...and you want to keep him around.

Plumbing is a whole other issue....you end up with leaks or real bad smells if you screw up but you will live.

Mar 31, 15 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

snooker - I wouldn't be so sure of that - omit a trap in a diy sink or shower install and you could have an explosive methane situation pretty easily. 

Apr 1, 15 11:37 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

Sarah,

Don't be bashful about asking the seller to address issues raised in the inspection report -- all they can do is say "no", at which point you can decide whether you want to move forward or not.

Also, if the seller decides not to fix some, or all, of the problems, you still can go back to them with a lower purchase price to offset the costs you will incur fixing the problems. Many times sellers don't want the hassle of managing the fix, so they'll give you a lower price if you'll take care of the work yourself.

Most likely the seller is way more motivated to sell the house than you are to buy it. There's absolutely no reason to inherit the cost associated with somebody else's problems. So, unless you have the house under contract at an exceptionally low price, you don't need to be paying lots extra to fix pre-existing deficiencies in the home.

Good luck.

Apr 1, 15 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
See, quiz, I'm not a negotiator. The seller has already agreed to pay most of the closing costs, and I feel like it'd be wrong to ask for a lower price after that. Plus, our market is so tight right now, I'm afraid they'd just say no, and we'd be out looking again.

And I don't like to feel like I'm screwing them. The house is selling for about $100/sqft, and in this area, that's fair. Of course, head either direction by 20 miles, and the price is closer to $80.

Funny how these sorts of things make me feel like I'll never be a grownup. My dad just always knew things. How to negotiate, if something was a good buy, and I'm just crossing my fingers. Maybe I look like I know everything to my son, but I feel like an idiot most of the time. There's just so much I don't know!
Apr 1, 15 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah, have you asked Your realtor about all your concerns and questions? I know when I was buying my home my realtor was very knowledgeable and helpful. Without him we would have been very lost in the whole process.

The inspection process and resulting list of items was something he was very helpful on. He was great in helping us understand the types of fixes we should ask for, and which we should handle ourselves. He was also able to connect us with contractors and handymen to take care of a lot of the work.
Apr 1, 15 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Sarah - you made an offer on the house with an underlying presumption that the house was okay - except for any items the seller previously disclosed. Your inspection report now has told you that there are issues that go beyond the seller disclosures -- and the house is not totally okay. There's a cost associated with making it okay again. 

That means either you will pay those bills, the seller will pay those bills, or you and the seller together will share the cost. How far you might want to push the seller depends on a lot of factors - as you mention in your last post. 

However, you have the house under contract and the seller cannot walk away from the deal unless YOU fail to perform. That doesn't mean you can't ask for these inspection issues to be corrected, or that the selling price be adjusted to reflect the cost of you taking care of these issues yourself. It never hurts to ask. If the seller says "no" you still have the house under contract and you can move forward to closing without the seller making any concessions.

However, I think if you ask for something reasonable and specific (and back it up with the inspection report) I would expect the seller to make some concessions -- he doesn't want to be out looking for a new buyer any more than you want to be out looking for another house to buy. 

Everyday Intern makes a good point -- discuss this with your realtor and use your realtor to actually present (and sell) your "proposal" to the seller. However, don't just accept whatever your realtor advises -- realtors HATE anything that might kill a deal, so they tend to be very conservative and try to avoid anything that might be even a minor complication to the deal. 

Remember -- your realtor works for you and is obligated to pursue whatever you want. Also, remember what the realtor is making on this deal, compare that to the fees architects earn, and recognize how little real work your realtor actually has done -- you need to use the realtor properly in order to get your money's worth.

Good luck.

Apr 1, 15 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Hi Donna et al,

Donna: enjoying the podcast. You have a nice speaking voice ;) 
Is Ken betadinesutures?

D

Apr 1, 15 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
rationalist

sssshhhhhhhh dia, some of us still like to put on our invisibility cloaks when we talk about more personal/sensitive subjects. 
I've more or less decided to keep mine on full-time again. Sorry Donna, I know you're a big advocate for real names, but I've realized that the time I turn to the 'nect is when work gets hard, and that's exactly the time I don't want people to be able to identify me. I work at such a huge place, I'm sure some of my other colleagues are 'nectors as well. In fact I know of one who is for sure, who I met through here before we started working together.

Apr 1, 15 7:37 pm  · 
 · 

So does that mean I should scrap the new thread I'm starting, called "Burning Bridges: Full Name/Address/Company + People in the Industry you hate and why"?

Apr 1, 15 9:02 pm  · 
 · 

dia I'm glad you're enjoying the podcast! I cannot confirm or deny any real person's identity. However, when someone like Quondam (formerly Rita Novel, which is still my favorite of his names) pops back up as fineprint of fantasies I'm totally happy to make the connection between two screenames.

There are many things I would say out loud if I were not non-anonymous. It's better that I not.

Apr 1, 15 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
dia

yep fair point - I cant speak. I have been known as dia since at least the last iteration of archinect - and still float around popping in from NZ when the mood takes...

Apr 1, 15 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

ken's an asshole.

Apr 1, 15 11:17 pm  · 
 · 

Sarah, you have no obligation to any broker or seller until you sign a contract. The seller agreed to pay closing costs because he's desperate to sell. The question is why? The answer is in the inspection. How long has it been on the market?

You should have more than one RE agent looking for you. Different agencies have different listings. Also quizzical is incorrect - brokers work for (and are paid by) the seller, not for you. They both want your dough. As buyer you have the power, use it. 

You should compile a folder documenting everything you look at with detailed notes for reference and comparison. I assume you've researched school districts and know which ones are best. After you see a place you really like park nearby and take a long walk around the neighborhood at different times of day - and night! You will be living there for quite a while and should have a good idea about exactly what you are buying into. 4 am loading dock, street racer hangout, crack dealer next door, etc.

Be diligent but be patient. As my old man used to say, good things come to those who wait. Desperation leads to bad decisions. 

Apr 1, 15 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Miles - well, I hear what you're saying about realtors but, when I buy real estate I always work through a 'buyer's agent' - the seller already has a listing agent to represent his/her interests. While both agents may be paid by the seller (splitting the commission) the seller's actually using MY money to pay that commission. Accordingly, I expect my 'buyer's agent' to represent my interests - not the seller's - and I'm never disappointed.

Apr 2, 15 12:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: