Archinect
anchor

christian architects

The Holy Family sees my architecture as divine!

Dec 22, 07 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

You could say that an architect assumes the divine right of the creator, in which case he or she is presuming to be God, and is therefore blasphemous.

Or you could say that an architect is expressing God's creative will as one of his works, in which case architecture is a kind of worship.

I don't understand your point 2, or your last sentence.

Dec 22, 07 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i would imagine there are a number of italian and south american architects that are devout catholics.

Dec 22, 07 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

True, and in old day's the church promoted a lot of what we today know as splendid art, but there architecture was only a part of it.

It's easier with art than with architecture, to reconise ,and there it will often be symbols.

Dec 22, 07 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

PerCorrell, what's the image you linked there?

Dec 22, 07 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

im back in Ohio...God's country. Nothing better than the dude living in the piece of shit barn on the side of the freeway with the conferdertate flag telling me that I am going to go to hell if I dont believe in Jesus...

this from a guy living in a barn on the side of the freeway

Dec 22, 07 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
Chch

A lot of architects commit blasphemy....look at the amount of them with glasses on! God chose to gift them with limited eyesight and yet there they are defying his intentions. Surely these heathens should be punished for their crimes?

Dec 22, 07 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Urbanist it's the last put in silver screen galleri

Dec 23, 07 6:46 am  · 
 · 
farmer

architecture is number, proportion, dimension which is numerology which is seen by the churches as sorcery, punishable by death

Dec 23, 07 8:41 am  · 
 · 
n_
No amount of anecdotal examples could satisfactorily demonstrate that there is something inherent in the practice of architecture (or good architecture) that implies atheism.

Very well said.

Dec 23, 07 9:46 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

It seem the web responsable disagrea --- in this discussion about religion pictures are cencured, and I wonder very much why.
If this is a religious statement from the web responsible or just plain american Cencur . --- Now I place the picture theat the staff found had to be cencured that is removed, the one Urbanist asked about , and then let's see if cencur realy is relevant in discussions about religion, --- I don't know if it was the cross or what made the staff remove this picture , but you can think about that ;

Dec 23, 07 9:53 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/5736/sta60176jz9.jpg

Above there shuld be a link to a picture.

Dec 23, 07 9:55 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Good American Discussion style involve Cencur, esp art has to be cencured case it carry religious messeages as this ;

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/5736/sta60176jz9.jpg

Such a picture will not render , reson for that you must ask the staff or the web architect who interfere in these open discussions, --- In Eu, such interfere into discussions about arts and architecture and religion, was last time seen under the Nazi and the soviet where the same selfreigous Cencur was installed . If you asked those who manifested Cencur in artistic and religious matters, they would all say it was for the good of all, and that art must be cencured aswell as religious messeages in pictures must be banned, --- today this is the politics here in this fora.

Dec 23, 07 10:06 am  · 
 · 
goodtastingsteak

i was surprised to see how many people replied to this thread yet only a couple were in response to meeting up.

aren't there other threads for this kind of discussion? give the guy a break and let him find people to hang out with

Dec 23, 07 10:48 am  · 
 · 
goodtastingsteak

haha i feel stupid for replying to a thread that was started over a year ago. ignore me or mock me

Dec 23, 07 10:52 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

I don't think there are less Cristian architects now than there was a year ago. But I don't think christian architects so much refere to catholic architects , beside there are much truth in what agfa8x said ;

"Or you could say that an architect is expressing God's creative will as one of his works, in which case architecture is a kind of worship."

In that case it wouldn't make a difference if what you do is architecture or arts.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/5788/sta60155dq3.jpg

Dec 23, 07 11:15 am  · 
 · 
rfuller
architecture is number, proportion, dimension which is numerology which is seen by the churches as sorcery, punishable by death

farmer, you can't be serious...

Dec 23, 07 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

I didn't thake it serious if that please you, beside it's pure nonsense that obviously havn't has a say before said here, then beside most architect would see it as an honour to serve as architect baumeister or whatever in terms of, a church structure.

Dec 23, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Also ,I read about catolic artists architects Designers,,, who at old age plee for a contribuation being arogantly denied in ther minds of catolic church, cases where in fact the church would have provided better , allowing just a piece of good will --- even after a wild youth --where a Cristian will attemt things different , we know what we got and that can be made better ,but this was the old day's those old hero's is allmost gone . Or are they ?

Dec 23, 07 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
pbednar

"No amount of anecdotal examples could satisfactorily demonstrate that there is something inherent in the practice of architecture (or good architecture) that implies atheism."

- fine, but then it should not be a problem to bring up a single good religious architect. please please please. just one.

Dec 23, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

An architect only need to honer a religion ,I find that a provocative ; a good architect will know what to focus a bad will proberly stay vere very tradisional misreading the real provocative. Strange btw. that relegious structures seem no so exposed as commersial, museums, offices :Icons
are different today to, who want a church with a 20 year life span ?

Dec 23, 07 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Sorry wrong graphic format .

When you ask where to find a good architect, my advise are, to look for one that also paint good.

Dec 23, 07 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

And Cristian offcaurse !

Dec 23, 07 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell
http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7009519090

I don't know if god has humor , if so it seem to be a very destinct one, with the link above, either this is how the world work generaly, or someone made a point.

Dec 23, 07 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Antoni Gaudi, but that's not the way it works. No amount of anecdotal evidence for or against your proposition can demonstrate the kind of claim you're making.

Dec 23, 07 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

But what it mean anyway how splendid an architect, with a world that work like this ;

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7009519090

Dec 23, 07 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
minimalicious

In other words..no, but lets self induldge in some shitty art and try to link the two topics.

Dec 23, 07 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
farmer

rfuller: no i guess I was not serious. I still think however that an architect is a kind of magus or magician, manipulating environments for the common good, using means that are pre-christian and hence a bit under suspicion by the church. like Adam, he delves.

Dec 24, 07 3:44 am  · 
 · 
rfuller

Do "good" Jewish architects count as religious?

Marcel Breuer
Elizabeth Diller
Peter Eisenman
Frank Gehry
Louis Kahn
Daniel Libeskind
Richard Meier
Eric Owen Moss
Richard Neutra
Robert A. M. Stern

Dec 24, 07 11:26 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

The subject was christian architects.

Dec 24, 07 11:57 am  · 
 · 
rfuller

Yeah Per, but the challenge was "religious" "good" architects. It was a little tongue-in-cheek answer.

Dec 24, 07 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

I can't figure out, if a religious architect would acturly work. If a truely religious would has the fire the thirst spark, coverage and need in fact.
And those just cristian ,the best of them I guess, would neglect by other resons, So I don't know if a religious architect, can be humble.

Dec 24, 07 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Why are there so few graphics , exactly this subject would profit some fancy graphics, a general idea and some beautifull paintings , painting are Finer than architecture as you know ,therefore, if you are looking for a good architect look for one who paint nice pictures . I can't see what shuld be wrong about my pictures;

Dec 24, 07 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

meta, most christians would disagree that religious experience is just a matter of effects created by architecture. as an architect, you're free to disagree of course.

Dec 24, 07 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

As long it's not God you disagrea.

Dec 24, 07 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

i agree architects are natural atheists

what a joy we are free from slavery to church building of the middle ages

nobody knows face it and it does seem like schizophrenia to make them up and have such a 'faith'

Dec 26, 07 10:59 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

only 'christian'??!! i mean why not Any and all religious architects because you are so fell in your supernatural worldview

;)

Dec 26, 07 11:02 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Do you see today's Icons a paralell to the middle ages church buildings ?

Dec 26, 07 11:24 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

for an enlightening debate go here

i think it says more about dogma and ideological positions if anything...

Dec 26, 07 11:32 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes
http://www.c-spanarchives.org/library/index.php?main_page=product_video_info&products_id=201727-1

this is a better link for that debate the server is busy on the other link

Dec 26, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

can this thread be crucified and left to die? please?

Dec 26, 07 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Rebuild the Twin Towers.

Dec 26, 07 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Nah, tk. It'll only come back in 3 days.

Dec 26, 07 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

it will be back next year at least

Dec 26, 07 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

You mean we are only Cristian at Cristmess, I think you forget something.

Dec 26, 07 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

CristMESS, I think you're onto something...

Dec 26, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 

great architect = agnostic/without religion

Dec 27, 07 9:58 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Maybe you are right in terms of church architecture, as a master builder there offcaurse will newer build without understandint the particular religion, and so serve better than an architect with same religion who will not bring in the same as a builder who need to investigate into the religion.

Dec 27, 07 10:42 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I think this thread is making baby Jesus cry.

Dec 27, 07 11:01 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

And why is that ?

Dec 27, 07 11:03 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: