Archinect
anchor

Job search - am I being close-minded?

roso159

I worked for a large commercial firm for 1.5 years after graduating from M.Arch. I appreciated the exposure to diverse, complex typologies and was able to complete most of the AREs, but I am now job searching again. Several of the connections I've been able to make are to small residential firms. At this point in my career, I am not interested in residential work--but some of the advice I've gotten is not to rule out anything.

I am interested in increased responsibility, more time on construction sites, and working more closely with clients, but I find it hard to muster enthusiasm for single-family residential...It seems like it would end up being more interiors than architecture.  

What do you think? Am I being close-minded?  

Mar 20, 24 11:02 am
ill_will

It's weird, I just have my bachelors, but similar amount of work experience. It almost seems like larger or larger scoped firms are more likely to hire fresh grads rather than people working between 1-2 years. Honestly, I would find the main firms you want to be at and just bug people you have connections with on linkedin, be polite about it though... "it doesn't hurt to ask... nicely". 

You'd still probably be dealing with some amount of architecture with the residential places, but it would definitely be mixed into doing interiors, but probably more spatial than int. design. 

Mar 20, 24 11:34 am  · 
2  · 
ill_will

if it comes down to it, money is money, experience is experience, and people are people. close mindedness is relative.

Mar 20, 24 11:36 am  · 
3  · 
reallynotmyname

The way to fulfill your interests in increased responsibility, more time on construction sites, and working more closely with clients is certainly to work in smaller firm, but probably not one that only does residential.  

Residential practice is different from commercial and what you term "close-mindedness" is a correct recognition of that.  If you don't have an interest in single family, don't do it.  It seems to me that job openings are plentiful enough right now that a getting a position in a small to mid size commercial or mixed-practice office should be possible for you.

Mar 20, 24 12:11 pm  · 
4  · 

roso159 - You're not being closed minded.  

Everyone has project types and sectors that they prefer not to work on.  Go after the firms and work that will provide you with the experiences that you want.  

Gook luck!  

Mar 20, 24 2:12 pm  · 
2  · 
G4tor

Nah, not close-minded. For me, working in commercial has given me experience that i wouldn't have gotten if i stuck with residential. Said experience helped me in also preparing and completing the AREs. Do what you want, no ragrets. 

Mar 20, 24 5:06 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: