Archinect
anchor

Facade ideas!

maithilili

I have been trying to design a facade in a small town in Minnesota for a critical access hospital. I am trying to use slate, glass and thermally modified wood on my exterior, but I am so stuck on how I want that to come together on a building, it is like i have every piece of puzzle but I am unable to put it together. I looked at a few case studies to help me with but i am still stuck, all suggestions are welcome! 

Thank you very much

Mar 10, 24 3:53 pm
Non Sequitur

um…no. Is this not what you are paid to do? Crowd sourcing design ideas is lazy. 

Mar 10, 24 5:18 pm  · 
1  · 
maithilili

Yes, fortunately, I'm not trying to crowd source ideas, still in school, an international student struggling with foreign materials. Trying to get better because I'd be getting paid for that.

Mar 11, 24 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You're in school precisely to learn this stuff. Trial and error, set to repeat ad nauseum.

Mar 11, 24 12:46 pm  · 
1  · 
maithilili

Thank you for the motivation.

Mar 11, 24 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Why are you stuck? Do you not have experience with these materials, or with detailing exteriors? 

Mar 10, 24 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
maithilili

Detailing exteriors honestly, it's just how would these materials meet each other, the junctions of these claddings, just need a way to figure out how i could build it if i would have needed to!

Mar 11, 24 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Since it's not a real project and cost isn't the driver... Just make them all rainscreens. They will probably all require different attachment systems, but you can look into that.

This would allow you to keep your water barrier and exterior insulation simpler. You’ll just need to figure out how to trim/flash between/around each material system. 

Mar 11, 24 1:29 pm  · 
3  · 
maithilili

Oh thank you so much for this. It helps me, because I've been looking at rain screen details for different claddings and it seems pretty straightforward, I'll go with these details, would looking at different products and their attachment systems help me to detail it out? Or should i just use typical details?

Mar 11, 24 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
luvu

Ligit question to ask ! easiest way would be doing design options / taesting out combination of materials you have in mind( Enscape is fast and pretty good rendering outcome) . Build up material mood board .. bring them to site , testing out how each material react to sun/ shadow etc … this is taught archi school btw. 

Mar 10, 24 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
maithilili

Yes, been working on those on sketches and renders, it's definitely helped me to figure how it looks, I'm learning the materials and their R values in one of my classes, thank you very much for your insights, i will keep working at it!

· 
JLC-1

look at this https://www.usg.com/content/us...

Mar 11, 24 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
maithilili

I'll definitely take a look, thank you!

· 

Go for a long walk, or several long walks in different neighborhoods, to see different ways that the materials are used in the real world. Sketch the details you see that seem like they might work for you as well as how you might modify them to work for you better.

Mar 11, 24 7:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: