Archinect
anchor

Thinking of Doing My Own Structural Calcs for Home Projects - Crazy Idea?

ligesaja

Hey everyone,

So, I've been tossing around the idea of handling the structural calculations myself for my home projects. Usually, I'd pass this off to the experts, but part of me is curious if I could manage it on my own.

Do any of you do your own calcs, or is that just asking for trouble? I'm pretty handy and know my way around a construction site, but I'm no engineer. Are there tools or guides out there that have helped you out? And how do you make sure you're not missing something important that could get you in hot water later on?

Would really appreciate hearing if anyone's gone down this road themselves. Any stories or advice you've got could really help me figure out if this is something I should even consider.

Thanks for letting me pick your brains!

Mar 10, 24 11:40 pm
bowling_ball

So long as you're following your relevant codes, it should be relatively easy. And if you're using any trusses or pre-eng products, your suppliers should provide their products under seal. No big deal really.

Mar 11, 24 12:20 am  · 
 · 
luvu

I can’t even stand behind the bar serving alcohol without a licence in my nanny state … G luck though 

Mar 11, 24 4:42 am  · 
1  · 
smaarch

I did for years. I would say it really depends on how big and/or complex your work is. Simple wood and steel beams, flitch plates - sure. There are often subtleties in structural  design that may be missed without experience. Long spans and vibration, Beefing up floor systems under heavy elements, rotational  forces, etc. I often did calcs by hand, checking software results until I was comfortable with it

Mar 11, 24 5:14 am  · 
1  · 
t a z

Assuming you're not in a seismic zone, following a prescriptive code for timber framed SFR construction should be pretty standard.

What other residential construction materials are you designing with? CMU? LGMF?

Even concrete basement or retaining walls should be fairly prescriptive to a certain extent.

Mar 11, 24 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I earned a BS in structural engineering, worked for 10 years as a builder and I'm now 20 years into being a designer. I have done my own engineering on many dozens, probably hundreds of projects at this point, all longhand and using a code book and engineering manuals.

I now work with licensed structural engineers whenever possible. If you can't design very simply using a code book and don't have a deep well of experience to draw from, it's not something I recommend taking on. The consequences of mistakes are deadly.  

Mar 11, 24 3:05 pm  · 
2  · 

Exactly. If you don't know how to do the work without failure of performing the task. Of course can make a momentary error in calculation nd promptly fix it before submitting such technical submissions. The thing is if you are not competent in knowledge and skills to perform the task, use a structural engineer. Key word competency. Do NOT confuse competency with confidence. Confidence without competence is arrogance and stupidity. All to often, there are A LOT of people who are so confident they can do the task but lacks the competence to do it. We call them dumbasses, assholes, dipshits, arrogant asses, and other colorful expressions. Don't let confidence and ego intermix into an act of stupidity. Use prudence. If it is more than simple beam calculations and simple calculations, it is best to have a professional engineer (structrural engineer in this case) involved and prepare. If you are competent, you can informally do the calculations and may still want the engineer to offload some of that professional liability issue if you were to do it yourself.

Mar 11, 24 3:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: