Archinect
anchor

If I had a spare $10k to spend right now...

...I'd buy these original architecture school stools from Chandigarh.

https://www.lamodern.com/aucti...

Love the color's and simplicity!

Feb 21, 24 9:32 pm
chris-chitect

Actually, can we turn this into a game of stylish vintage items we would buy if we had an extra $10k? Price is Right rules of not going a single dollar over.

I've found 5 seats...

https://bringatrailer.com/list...

Feb 21, 24 10:56 pm  · 
6  · 

That’s a beauty, Chris. My husband spends a lot of time on BringATrailer.

Feb 21, 24 11:14 pm  · 
1  · 
kenchiku

I spend way too much time on BaT. I'd grab this sporty shorty and save up for a 6sp swap

Feb 22, 24 6:46 am  · 
2  · 
kenchiku
gwharton

I used to have the V12 750 version of that car, kenchiku. I loved it, but boy howdy was it expensive to keep on the road.

Feb 22, 24 11:37 am  · 
2  · 

THIS! BMWs are such a delight to drive but they are rarely actually available TO drive.

Feb 23, 24 7:41 am  · 
1  · 
gwharton

My wife used to say it ran on ocelot tears and broken dreams. :-D

Feb 23, 24 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Doesn't need to be stylish, but high on my list of things under $10k would be an outdoor sauna. Just an amazing feeling jumping in the snow at -30 after sitting in a sauna. Definitely recommended if you get the chance. 

Feb 22, 24 12:20 am  · 
2  · 
archanonymous

@ Donna - this is sort of random but bear with me. 

I once read a book about an art dealer's quest to own his own Warhol. (I Bought Andy Warhol by Richard Polsky) and at one point he finds an old newspaper with the original dot-matrix art that Warhol used to create one of his prints... so he buys the newspaper, cuts out the print, enlarges it, makes a 3 color silkscreen, and screens himself a print (I don't remember which - maybe a Marilyn?) which he then hangs on his wall (at home) and lets his friends assume its provenance for several months before letting them in on the joke. 

The book is really good and goes into all the ethical and existential questions around doing something like this - but I'm sure you can imagine the interesting places such an argument could go. 

Anyways, my point: Corbu designed these stools to be functional and simple and easy to produce and assemble and I 100% believe that you could "borrow" your husband's shop for the weekend and turn out your own version. Which, as an homage to Corbu is perhaps as intellectually exciting to sit on, discuss, or think about as the equivalent provenance would be for some "authentic" stools. 

Feb 22, 24 5:23 am  · 
2  · 

I want to reply just to acknowledge your response, archanonymous, but I’m still pondering it so I don’t really have a full answer yet. But there is definitely some spiritual quality to having the chairs that were actually sat in by hundreds of architecture student butts. You can’t re-create that in a shop.

Feb 23, 24 7:45 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

I've been looking at this beast for a couple of days now. $8500. Yeah, I'm a hick, but I'd use the hell out of it on my farm and woodlot. I could afford it but can't quite justify it. 

Feb 22, 24 8:34 am  · 
8  · 
Non Sequitur

Do it...

Feb 22, 24 10:07 am  · 
1  · 
proto

toys for boys? ...there's always a utility argument to be made if you're enthusiastic enough...

Feb 22, 24 11:46 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Oh I'd use it. I've started renovating my 1830 home and have a lot of work to do on it, including a lot of dump runs or dumpster rentals; we pay $500 a year to have our driveway plowed after snow storms; our homestead is very hilly (200 vertical feet of drop over 2,000 feet) and I need to build roads to get to the woodlot; my Subaru Outback already takes a beating from me treating it like a truck. Plus it's similar to a truck I grew up with and did the basic maintenance on (my dad believed in his kids knowing how to do everything ourselves, and him not having to do any of it himself). In other words, it hits a lot of buttons for me. I'll keep thinking about it until someone else buys it.

Feb 23, 24 10:27 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Sounds like you've already convinced yourself... do it.

Feb 23, 24 10:43 am  · 
1  · 

You have have the money right? If so, buy it.

Feb 23, 24 11:10 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Yeah, WG, what's the point of being a celebrated and rich book author rockstar if you can't buy a snow-plow/dumptruck combo on a whim?

Feb 23, 24 11:22 am  · 
2  · 
citizen

Looks like the truck braked when an underground tanning bed suddenly popped open, WG!

Mar 4, 24 12:45 am  · 
 · 

Teardrop trailer that I could pull with my little Crosstrek. 

Feb 22, 24 9:19 am  · 
5  · 
proto

are there any insulated teardrops?

i saw a cricket (teardrop adjacent) at a trailhead last weekend and thought "those guys are prolly frigid in there"

Feb 22, 24 11:42 am  · 
 · 

Most are insulated. Some are heated and have AC. All have mechanical ventilation (required by law). I'm not worried about being cold. I've been backpacking in temps down to -40F.

Feb 22, 24 5:34 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

10k, even in dirty communist loonies, would get me one half-decent turntable upgrade for the home office.

Feb 22, 24 10:11 am  · 
6  · 
atelier nobody

I'm not a real audiophile, but a REALLY GREAT pair of headphones for the office is definitely on my list.

Feb 22, 24 9:07 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

I don't wear headphones during work hours... I'm always on the phone or talking to staff but also have a no-headphone policy in office bylaws that no one follows. I added some excellent powered bookcase speakers to my home office turntable 2y ago. Worth it.

Feb 23, 24 10:46 am  · 
2  · 
citizen

hmmmmm.  Office bylaws.  I'd like to take a gander at those, Non.

Mar 4, 24 12:43 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Donna, your husband can make those for a lot less than 10k, the nostalgia factor is not necessary imho. I also love to look on BaT, and sometimes I think the same about some overpriced pieces of junk offered.

If I was forced to spend 10k on something superfluous it would be an Eames lounge and ottoman and a Womb chair, but 10k it's not enough for both. Maybe an Eames and a nice Montblanc fountain pen.

Feb 22, 24 12:02 pm  · 
1  · 
Volunteer

Here's a reproduction Eames chair for $1,600. Have a relative that has an original from his parents. Very nice but showing some age. I think some of the original ones are going for more than the current Herman Miller production ($7,395) https://theiconicchair.com/products/e-ivory-palisander-regular

Feb 22, 24 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

what a weird store, they only make this and I couldn't find any info about where these were made.

Feb 22, 24 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

TBH , I wouldn't spend 10k on a piece of furniture ever, I'd rather take one of those luxury sightseeing trains in Japan or Austria.

Feb 22, 24 1:20 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

The economics textbook definition of a "luxury good" is one whose value goes up the more money one has. To a poor person, having a chair to sit on has value, but having an Eames has $0 of additional value. To me, having an original Eames has no more value than having a cheaper knock-off (and don't get me started on intellectual property of designers who died in the 70s), but if I were to win the lottery, all of a sudden having the "real thing" might have value.

Feb 22, 24 9:03 pm  · 
2  · 
pandahut

If I was given 10k today, I would throw it into my /wallstreetbets stocks for a few weeks and hopefully pull out 20k. 0_*

Feb 22, 24 12:40 pm  · 
2  · 

You should buy crypto and NFT's. You'd make millions! ::end sarcasm::

Feb 23, 24 10:42 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

These bad ladies/boys

Canyon Grail CF SLX 8 Di2

Canyon Endurace CF SLX 8 Di2 Aero

I know - crazy expensive and I dont deserve this but hey you all were asking!

Feb 22, 24 8:28 pm  · 
1  · 

They look super fun! sameold have you ever been to Bentonville?

Feb 23, 24 7:44 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Oh, for the Big Sugar Gravel race? No, but Id love to - not for racing itself but to ride them trails...

Feb 23, 24 1:15 pm  · 
1  · 

It's SO much fun in a completely bizarre place. Great food, great art, great trails, completely weird walmart aura.

Feb 23, 24 4:32 pm  · 
2  · 
atelier nobody

If I had an extra $10K to spend today (assuming this was after paying off all debt) I'd get 2-3 pairs of really good bespoke shoes.

Feb 22, 24 9:05 pm  · 
3  · 

In an exciting update on this post, my husband bid on a piece of Ken Ferguson ceramics and accidentally won it yesterday. He thought his bid was ridiculously low, but somehow this auction wasn’t giving people time to drive prices up!

My first ever ceramic art auction I also accidentally bid on a piece and won it and it’s one of my favorite possessions. We’ve stumbled into a lot of dumb luck in our lives.

Feb 23, 24 7:49 am  · 
7  · 
nabrU

It be wild insane out of touch.

Feb 23, 24 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
danielsk

I would definitely invest the cast in some courses. There is a lot i want to learn these days

Feb 28, 24 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
danielsk's comment has been hidden
danielsk

I would get myself some of those lamps https://faina.design/. The design is truly unlike anything I've ever seen before. I have a feeling that once I introduce these lamps into my home, they'll become conversation starters—pieces that guests can't help but admire and inquire about. And that's exactly the kind of unique charm I'm after for my space.

Mar 3, 24 7:31 am  · 
 · 

It seems like AI might be posting comments now.

Mar 4, 24 8:25 am  · 
2  · 

I think I'll buy a Saarinen womb chair and 1-2 Tom Rossiter pieces. I have one I bought when he was in an exhibit I co-curated, and I love having it by my desk.

Mar 4, 24 8:29 am  · 
1  · 
OneLostArchitect

Donna, those are pretty easy to make from scratch and be a lot cheaper than 10k! Your husband is pretty handy if I recall, sounds like a fun build together plus lasting memories. Dont forget to post the pics! Cheers! 

Mar 7, 24 12:25 am  · 
 · 

If anyone is interested the pot my husband accidentally won at auction arrived yesterday and OMG it’s gorgeous. So creepy and animated and good. 

Mar 8, 24 7:49 am  · 
3  · 

Mar 8, 24 7:50 am  · 
1  · 

Its giving ALOT but love it!

Apr 16, 24 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Donna, 

I guess you could put it beside the door at Halloween.

Apr 17, 24 12:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: