Archinect
anchor

Senior LA - Work Sample v. Full Portfolio...?

g2244779911223345545

Hi - 

I am a senior LA with 14 years of experience and find myself in a position where I am needing to update my collection of work experiences. Is a 10 page work sample sufficient for where I am at in my career and for any opportunities that may arise?

My gut says yes and at this point in my life and career, I'd like to avoid spending a whole lot of time and headache updating my now very dated portfolio. Seems more useful for junior staff...

Any advice from senior LAs/Archs/Designer is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Oct 31, 23 8:39 am
drums please, Fab?

you're going to need somewhere between 10 and 2,244,779,911,223,345,545 pages to sufficiently show your work experience

Oct 31, 23 9:45 am  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

You really need to update it.  I showed up to my interview at a fancy firm with an old portfolio.  I was coming in to the meeting with a stellar recommendation from someone the firm principals respected and frankly, I also didn't want to spend any of my personal time and money on updating, printing, and binding a new portfolio.

While I did ultimately get the job, the senior partner in the place was apparently very offended that I didn't make a new portfolio just for the interview and basically hated me from that day onward.   

In your case OP, I'm afraid some people will also interpret an old portfolio as a lack of effort/interest in the job on your part.

Oct 31, 23 10:58 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

"Hated me". LOL. I doubt that was the only reason...

Oct 31, 23 3:38 pm  · 
 · 

Shhhhh . . . you're projecting BB.

Oct 31, 23 3:45 pm  · 
1  · 

Update yes, but you're probably fine with 10-15 pages total. My last one was 15 before I went out on my own and had no issues with it.

Oct 31, 23 2:56 pm  · 
2  · 
luvu

10-15 p is a very good length to land an interview. I always have a full  version ( 50-60 p ) or a good construction set ( depend on your role) with me at the interview. Works every time , so far :)

Oct 31, 23 6:36 pm  · 
2  · 
bowling_ball

We tend not to bother reviewing portfolios by either licensed architects or equivalent experience (say, 7 years). If we're talking, it's because I've already asked at least a couple of our mutual contacts about you. I'm not meeting with just anybody off the street - in that case, I definitely want a portfolio first, interview second.

Nov 1, 23 7:21 am  · 
1  · 
Bench

Interesting. When you've talked to mutual contacts, how have you approached discretion? I imagine if someone in the 7+ range has expressed an interest in working with BB, they likely are currently employed somewhere already and may be attempting to keep a low profile while searching for a change in employment. Ive often wondered how architects in hiring positions try to deal with this.

Nov 1, 23 8:45 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: